Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cyclo Cross Bike £1k Limit (C2W Scheme)
  • timc
    Free Member

As the title suggests, looking at Cyclo Cross bikes for £1k.

I know very little about them, Currently looking at

Specialized Tri Cross
    Boardman CX

Any others to look at? Recommendations? opinions?

Please inform me 🙂

aP
    Free Member

What are you going to use it for?

Ed2001
    Free Member

Boardman looks good if not get a ridley (got a crossbow and it great) however i do like dale caad 9 its a superb frame and well worth upgrading)

timc
    Free Member

Recreational riding in the evenings!

Canal Paths, Bridleways, disused railway, woodland, coastal path & odd bit of tarmac! 😀

boxelder

The Tri Cross I've hefted are quite heavy.

What about a Planet X Uncle John?

Planet X

Genesis Croix Fer?

aP
    Free Member

Which colour do you prefer? That's pretty much going to be the only difference, except of course for which brand you prefer.

oldgit
    Free Member

I think from past posts that the price breaks give you pretty much the same bike. And that those minute differences that count for so much in road bikes don't seem to make that much diffrence in cross bikes.
    However if you want to race then simply get the best kit you can for your money.
    Focus and Giant look good for the dosh and are 'proper' race bikes. Schwalbe tyres are a bonus IMO.

oldgit
    Free Member

timc, if it's recreational the look at Kona and Genesis, go for cage and mudguard mounts.
    I'd have a Genesis any day for that use.

timc
    Free Member

Which one of the genesis bikes Oldgit?

oldgit
    Free Member

The Vapour or the Croix De Fer, though I did think the Vapour was steel.
    Both in budget at full cost.

timc
    Free Member

Cool, what about a Cotic roadrat in Cyclo cross mode? good or bad shout?

I like the Planet X & The Genesis!

1 More question which Im sure will have people laughing! If the handlebar tape goes all the way round on the drop bars, where do you mount your lights?

oldgit
    Free Member

You'll have about three inches of exposed bar either side of the stem to mount stuff.
    I really don't know a thing about the Road rat, can you get one on C2W?

timc
    Free Member

Yer on Roadrat, 18 Bikes do them! cool on bars 🙂

thumbie
    Free Member

Ridley Crossbow – sub £900 Tiagra spec or £1150 105 (if LBS lets you top-up).

Houns

Boardman CX, Voodoo Limba, Kona Jake the Snake, Kinesis crosslight

Dibbs
    Free Member

I'm afraid I can't help because I bought my CX (Cyclescheme) bike (Orbea igorre)at the start of the month and paid a bit extra I'm glad I did though, its excellent.

organic355
    Free Member

I am looking for the same and am seriuosly considering this TREK

schmiken

Genesis Vapour is alu, (£849) Croix de Fer is steel (£1099).

geoffj

I've got the Vapour and I'm very pleased with it.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Croix de Fer is £999, and steel so a bit heavy. Have you ridden a cross bike before? I have an alu commuter with CX tyres, and it ain't comfortable off road, especially anything lumpy! Steel would probably have a bit more give.

pistola
    Free Member

I got a Croix de Fer a couple of months ago. Love it. The disc brakes are sooo much better than cantis. Tis a bit heavy tho…

Ifrider
    Free Member

Got last years Jake the Snake. Fantastic on and off road. Always been a steel man before but took a punt on this and glad I did. You'll be amazed at what you can do off-road but they also take potholes etc in their stride so make for a wicked commuter. The carbon forks IMO take a massive amount of sting from poor surfaces too… I must admit though I did fancy the Croix de Fer…

clintthrust
    Free Member

i know a place with a croix de fer on special but its a 58cm, its going for £850.00

druidh
    Free Member

Marin Lombard (at £750) or the lovely Toscana (at £999). Really versatile and with disk brakes.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Rigid forks and canti brakes, reminds me what MTBing was all about when I started (its taking a while to get used to the drop bars though) 😀

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cyclo Cross Bike £1k Limit (C2W Scheme)’ is closed to new replies.