Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Cyclo Cross around Edinburgh this winter?
  • roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

I'd like to have a bit of a go at some cyclo cross racing this winter.

I've had a bit of a look around through google and have only seen some fairly serious events advertised. What I'm looking for is the lowest level, most basic, jumpers for goalposts type cyclo cross event…I'm prepared to travel about an hour to an hour and a half from Edinburgh to race but I'd like to know where/when the races are so I can plan the season around work etc. Thanks in advance for any help!

Dougal
    Free Member

http://www.scottishcyclocross.org.uk/2010/05/confirmed-series-dates.html

'Serious' cyclocross doesn't really exist in Scotland. Few people have multiple bikes and the associated paraphernalia, a LOT of people just use mountainbikes.

An hour from Edinburgh will get you to all of the rounds, bar Aviemore (2 hours), and Mull (4 hours if you count the ferry trip). Cheap to enter, great banter, and shed loads of people so you always feel like you're racing, rather than TTing it on your own.

kennyp
    Free Member

Me too. Just ordered a Tricross on the Bike2Work scheme. It's been bought more as a winter training road bike, but I wouldn't mind some (very) easy cyclo-cross stuff too.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Thanks for that dougal…had actually found that site but it all looked a bit intimidating really. Thanks for the reassurance. Think I'll have to pack my sense of humour along with my lycra…I'll be using a cross bike and am expecting to finish last!

cynic-al
    Free Member

What I'm looking for is the lowest level, most basic, jumpers for goalposts type cyclo cross event

there's a whole range of events tailored to meet sirs needs…

Seriously try the series above.

Dougal
    Free Member

There's lots of video on Youtube too:

Will give you an idea of how many people there are, and the huge range of abilities.

crazy-legs

Most CX races cater for every level imaginable from absolute beginners on MTBs to National Champions and the banter/atmosphere is always really good.

Oh and for practice, the Pentlands on a CX bike is ace, loads more fun than a 5" travel full sus!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wow you can ride thru puddles!!!! That's all that's needed to comment on 5" fs 🙄

crazy-legs

We were having far too much fun riding to bother with the pics!

jimmy

Am hoping to race the Scottish CX season this year, too. On my soon-to-be-singlespeed commute bike.

marty
    Free Member

Just updated the events bit of the website with all races currently on the calendar. General refresh coming soon along with news of some developments for 2010/11 season.

http://www.scottishcyclocross.org.uk/

roadie_in_denial – great fun events, very accessible way of getting in to racing.

ojom
    Free Member

Jimmy. You need a wingman?

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Quite surprised at the enthusiastic level of response. Thanks all. Much appreciated. If anyone is interested a bit closer to the time I could probably do a car-share type thingamybob…

marty
    Free Member

Another one added – East Kilbridge RC are planning a CX on 17th October, venue TBC but likely west central Scotland.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I might be missing something here but how do you actually enter these events? I fancy trying cross for the 1st time this year having never entered any kind of race.

italspark
    Free Member

the best thing about cross is that its 1 hour for everyone , no matter what your ability, so it dosnt matter what speed you race at, cos its over in 60 mins………..enjoy
    also its a great way to get kids started, as its reasonably safe (no traffic) and they race before the seniors, so everyone can have a go and its cheap or sometimes even free to enter

aP
    Free Member

To enter turn up, sign on and hand over your money.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Excellent, I'm gonna try the first one at Tranent and see how I go

I've just realised I have to eneter as a Veteran so will only have to race for 40 mins!

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Now "What tyres for Scottish Cyclocross" 🙂

StirlingCrispin

Last year's SBC event in Plean had 115 entrants.
    There's no way anyone can come last out of that lot (and the beauty of cyclo-x is that you have no idea of your race position anyway).

CB
    (survivor of the night-time Plean CX)

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I take it you find out your race position later though?

StirlingCrispin

Yes.
    Results are announced at the end (or more generally the next day when all the hard sums have been done).

The thing I liked about CX is that there is always someone to chase and have a close battle with. Anyway – excellent fun. Do it!

marty
    Free Member

how do you actually enter these events?
    Entry on the day will be available for all races, except the Scottish Championships. I'll link our list of events to the relevant pages on Scottish Cycling's calendar in the next couple of days. Think some organisers might allow you to enter in advance by Entry Central, but there's a cost involved in that.

I take it you find out your race position later though?
    Yup. We're pretty close to getting an electronic system sorted for this season which will be a big help to organisers.

(survivor of the night-time Plean CX)
    Now THAT was a race!

marionheck
    Free Member

I will be giving the this scottish cx race series a go this winter. First time for me as well, i am very much looking forward to it.

see you all there…… some where at the back!

13thfloormonk

Ahem.

I might have a wee singlespeed CX bike on the way soon (not out of any niche weirdo principles, its just a good price for a commuter!). Is that complete lunacy? I hadn't pictured the courses as having too many epic hills on them.. 😕

marty
    Free Member

Scottish CX races have been won on a singlespeed (although with a very handy rider on board).
    http://lyxus.net/gqew

No epic hills, but lots of wee ones will hurt a bit on ss.

13thfloormonk

Good-o, I have no visions of winning, just wanted to be sure it wasn't horrifically inappropriate!

marty
    Free Member

update: one change in date and one new one.

http://www.scottishcyclocross.org.uk/

stanfree
    Free Member

I watched the one at Meadowmill (Tranent) in March and was talking to one of the organisers who seemed really friendly. Looks like good fun and there was plenty of guys on mountain bikes as well as serious looking crossers. Might give It a go as Its about a half mile from the house.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Cyclo Cross around Edinburgh this winter?’ is closed to new replies.