Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • "Cyclists – Stay Back" sign alternatives.
  • neilwheel
    Free Member

Please post any suggestions for an alternative, and more effective sign to be proposed for TFL and other long/large goods vehicles.

Simple voting, +1 or nothing. If you don’t like the idea, just don’t post.

stoffel
    Free Member

BAD DANGER!

aracer
    Free Member

Er, how about this one:

neilwheel
    Free Member

aracer +1

stoffel
    Free Member

stoffel
    Free Member

‘If you are awesome, please pass up on my blind side as I’m urtng left’. 😉

Northwind

Another +1 for Aracer. Though I dont like “inside”, I prefer “left” tbh

Here’s another one that already exists.

I think the stresses are wrong, “DO NOT PASS ON LEFT” should be top and centre but it’s still about a million times better than “stay back”

Or Ford’s alternative to “Stay Back”

Or one you see often on trucks which is a different message, but yet again far better than “Stay Back” because it actually has some content

stoffel
    Free Member

All that first one says is ‘no cycling’, if you can’tread english. The secondone, the lower text may be too small to read if you aren’t that close/are short sighted.

Northwind

stoffel – Member

the lower text may be too small to read if you aren’t that close

It’s quite hard to pass a large vehicle up the inside without getting close to it.

stoffel – Member

All that first one says is ‘no cycling’, if you can’tread english

Course, “Cyclists stay back” says a lot to people who can’t read english.

aracer
    Free Member

Well it’s better than the “stay back” one in that case, as if you can’t read English it suggests cycling on the left of vehicles is OK.

The secondone, the lower text may be too small to read if you aren’t that close/are short sighted.

Because the signs are clearly very important to cyclists a long way behind the vehicle with a sticker?

Though I thought you’d gone to bed, or is that only on discussions where you have no answer to the awkward questions?

stoffel
    Free Member

What ‘awkward quesionts? You haven’t asked any.

WEnd of the day; stay back. Because it could sve your live. ? OR ignore it and be crushed like Bobby.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Fair enough, there’s no way not to comment but constructive criticism please.

I feel a signs should be put on both rear quarters of large/long vehicles.

If we are going down the universal route, how about a picture of a cyclist getting squashed under big tyres inside a yellow “EURO” warning triangle would do it?

neilwheel
    Free Member

Can you take that argument back to the other thread?

WillH

How about, on the left side of the vehicle, a sign with a cycle symbol and an arrow pointing to the right, with the text “PASS ON THE RIGHT” underneath?

WillH

Or maybe the cycle symbol from this sign:

On the left, with a red <— arrow beneath it. Next to it, on the right (where all the text is on the example above), have the same cycle symbol but in green and without the prohibition circle, with a green —> arrow beneath it.

No words, so language ceases to be an issue.

WillH

Since people often don’t like being given instructions without knowing the reason behind them, you could even put the word DANGER in red beneath the left arrow, and SAFER in green beneath the right arrow.

I realise that colour-blind people may have difficulties with the colours, but as long as the symbols and text are distinguishable from the background colour then the message should still get across.

WillH

Like this (‘scuse the crappiness but I only have the power of MS Word available to me right now…)
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/o7Jf8L]CycleDanger[/url] by W Hyde, on Flickr

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Obviously the other way round for the UK

rOcKeTdOg

Onzadog
    Free Member

Given that my last two close shaves were with buses/lorries making poor overtakes, where can I get a sign demanding they stay back?

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

the “Beware” signs are fine i think, they do remind you that it’s a long and nasty truck that can squish you

I have a real problem with the strike-through bike, “Do Not” etc – you can if you want, you’re sometimes forced to, and it’s often safe

mattrgee
    Free Member

I see a normal transit van with one of those ‘cyclist stay back’ signs on it, can’t help but think it’s a bit antagonistic.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I dont like the negative signs on many london vehicles telling me not to undertake, frankly there are times when its actually perfectly safe to undertake (stationary) and the negative wording is like saying -dont press the red button- it just makes many humans want to press the button to see what happens OR to undertake.

Please find a polite encouraging sign, the awesome cyclist one is good, it makes it feel like the driver likes the fact you are part of the solution, not part of the problem and wants you there. This is nice. Ooooh lets be nice.

‘Awesome Cyclists’
    Undertake me only if its safe.
    We want you alive as it means less cars.
    Keep riding.

I’m sure some marketeer can word it better! 😉

mrhoppy

I quite like the ISS Cyclear that is being fitted to LB Havering bin lorries, it shows a don’t pass sign when the vehicle is about to turn left but the rest of the time doesn’t show anything.

stoffel
    Free Member

Is all the misspelling and typos deliberate, or are you just lazy?

Mainly just lazy. I can’t be bothered to correct things. Last night I was a bit drunk though, which doesn’t help matters. 😳

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘"Cyclists – Stay Back" sign alternatives.’ is closed to new replies.