Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cyclists should dismount, – penalty for wrong answer, a dunk in the canal
  • ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I found that a hard read but it seems to say a 50 year old man was pushed into the canal by a 59 year old woman. Both were cyclists. He had stopped to give way and she, walking her bike pushed him in the canal. How very very odd. If its the aquaduct past Linlithgow the path is very narrow and any argy bargy wouold mean a dunking. Odd.

Garry_Lager

Not the best place to get into an argument that – particularly if you’re the one closer to the water, all it would take is a nudge.
    Although it sounds like there was barely an argument, she just heaved him in.

scotroutes

I assumed it was Slateford Aqueduct. The sign asking cyclists to dismount has been there for years.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

still pretty narrow, you couldn’t easily both keep cycling and pass.

cynic-al
    Free Member

In my youth I cycled pasta woman pushing a pram on the aqueduct.

Also saw a fellow fall off his bike into the canal

scotroutes

Absolutely. It’s cobbled too, so not the best surface.

GrahamS

More to the point, where did he get a full service for a submerged bike for £60 in Edinburgh??

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Graham – must be outside Edinburgh, maybe Falkirk. 😉

EDIT: and he must be tight buying a phone for 100 quid!

joshvegas
    Free Member

I always dismount for the slateford one its there really isn’t room for mucking about and I can guarantee I’d take that moment to lose my balance/fail to unclip and end up in the wet bit.

nedrapier

“I cycled pasta woman”

Was it my wife?

I left her because she kept touching pasta.

She’s probably feeling cannelloni right now.

Kit
    Free Member

The sign asking cyclists to dismount has been there for years.

Comments on Facebook would suggest that the “Cyclists dismount” sign is either no longer there, or asks cyclists to ride with caution. I wouldn’t know, however, it’s been ages since I’ve ridden along there 🙁

scotroutes

Aye but the incident was in 2013 and it was definitely there then.

Back to cycling soon?

teamslug
    Free Member

Year ago ( 15+) I was out with on a group ride and someones saddle tipped backwards as we were riding along calder canal and he ended up in canal. Disappeared from view and came up with his bike in his hand!.

Kit
    Free Member

Aye but the incident was in 2013 and it was definitely there then.

Back to cycling soon?

Ah, forgotten about that. I always ignored it unless there were pedestrians, and then I’d dismount 🙂

Hopefully…had a wee ride for the first time in a year last week and it felt good, so fingers crossed I’ll be back to commuting again soon.

matt_outandabout

In my youth I cycled pasta woman pushing a pram on the aqueduct.

That is an unusual pasta shape – is it from Waitrose?

GrahamS

euans2
    Free Member

I always dismount at the Slatford one, there is barely enough room to push past someone nevermind trying to cycle past them

GrahamS

The report said he had stopped and had his foot on the ground. Surely that takes up less room than actually getting off the bike and standing next to it?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cyclists should dismount, – penalty for wrong answer, a dunk in the canal’ is closed to new replies.