Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)
  • Cyclists don't pay for roads and should have numberplates says Sussex PCC
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

@rocketdog – I think if i bought the same car again new the VED would be £1000 👿

woody2000

That would do me nicely jambalaya, I’m a royal bell end after all 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Daft cah.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Does anyone here understand VED, it seems a new version of my car (2014) would be £285 pa whereas mine (2007) is £500. Seems hard to believe VED went down ?

edlong
    Free Member

My favourite bit from the guardian interview (linked earlier):

..fortunate that at that point our call was interrupted … There were only so many times I could say, “Hang on, so you’re advocating a policy on the basis of a statistic when you have no idea what that statistic means?”

somafunk

So she’s the Police & Crime Commissioner for Sussex and she’s a conservative?, that shows us just how redundant the two posts are.

#fucwit

jamj1974

She is obviously a cretin.

mjsmke

As some small engined cars and electric cars pay no ‘Road Tax’ why should a cyclist?

kayla1
    Free Member

You’d just stick a false plate on, wouldn’t you? The 5-0 are more of a delayed-reaction squad than an actual ‘police’ force now anyway, aren’t they? They certainly are around here when I try to get anything done about the arseholes booling round on pit bikes.

rusty90
    Free Member

Does anyone here understand VED, it seems a new version of my car (2014) would be £285 pa whereas mine (2007) is £500. Seems hard to believe VED went down ?

Mine just did the opposite. Switched from an 2005 to a 2008 model of exactly the same car and it went up from £285 to £475. Eh? What? Why?

Combined with the two agricultural rust buckets we also run that means I’m paying nearly £1k a year in ‘road tax’, which I think entitles me to ride through as many red traffic lights as I want. On the pavement, at night, without lights, wearing black camouflage.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I really think that every cyclist who owns and pays for their car, should for one day a year (preferably a busy week day), all ditch their bikes and take to the roads in our cars. Gridlock here we come.
    That’ll teach them.

Interestingly on Monday the weather was crap. I spoke to several people who normally get to work by other means but used their cars because it was so wet. I rather suspect that the fact that the traffic was so much worse than normal had some connection to that fact. (The amusing thing was that one of the worst complainers was someone who usually commutes by motorbike and used the car instead…)

No evidence to prove that, but it didn’t stop this woman spouting off 😉

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Dinny bint! Some women should not be allowed out of the kitchen, and Ms Bourne is one of them.

DezB
    Free Member

That Guardian article is perfect. Answers all the questions, including “Actually, how stupid is this woman and how much is she paid for being that stupid?”
    The enforcement of any cyclist ID law would be hilarious. I wouldn’t wear/carry/fit any id tag. So the law can’t identify me for breaking the law… er, hang on…

timbur
    Free Member

Home

Nothing else to say.
    Tim

ahwiles
    Free Member

Bunnyhop – Member

I really think that every cyclist who owns and pays for their car, should for one day a year (preferably a busy week day), all ditch their bikes and take to the roads in our cars. Gridlock here we come.
    That’ll teach them.

agreed.

knackers to the ‘national bike to to work day’ – I don’t think normal people muggles pay any attention.

However, i reckon enough cyclists would enjoy the sadistic mischief of an ‘unofficial grid-lock day!’ to actually join in,

mid-week, term time, maximise the impact.

ahwiles
    Free Member

her twitter account has just woken up…

cakefacesmallblock

” what number plate holder for Afan ?”

br
    Free Member

Mine just did the opposite. Switched from an 2005 to a 2008 model of exactly the same car and it went up from £285 to £475. Eh? What? Why?

Rules were brought in that included post-2006 cars retrospectively – basically manufacturers were unaware that certain cars would be ‘caught’. My wifes old Freelander was £450 and her new one with twice the power (and about the same mpg) is half this.

GrahamS

her twitter account has just woken up.

Engage Reverse Thrusters.

Media Deflection Shields to maximum power.

😀

bruceonabike
    Free Member

I carry my drivers licence in my wallet and my wallet with me on most rides so in fact I do carry id should the need ever arise. I expect this is the same for most cyclists, particularly in towns.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I see charlie the bike mongoist is already one step ahead of us…

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/bikemonger-road-tax-disc-sticker-5883-p.asp

brooess
    Free Member

S’funny how anyone who comes out with anything anti-cyclist never seems to be able to rationally back up their views with data or factual evidence… or any kind of sensible, well-thought-through argument at all…

aracer
    Free Member

I carry my drivers licence in my wallet and my wallet with me on most rides so in fact I do carry id should the need ever arise. I expect this is the same for most cyclists, particularly in towns.

Maybe for you kiddies with plastic ones 😉

somafunk

She’s a conservative married to a banker, d’ya really think she is capable of formulating a cohesive well-thought-through argument regarding cycling?, I’d make her leave the car at home for a month and give her a bike to get about, then ask her to comment on her original outburst after 30 days of abuse from car drivers, should wipe that smug, self satisfied expression from her face.

garage-dweller

Too long winded deleted

GrahamS

Erm… nope.

I don’t usually carry a wallet at all, on bike or off, and I never carry my driver’s license. That stays in a drawer at home.

I’d make her leave the car at home for a month and give her a bike to get about

But she is already “very pro-cycling” and “wanted to speak up for cyclists”.

She said so 😉

grtdkad

What aracer said way back up there ^^, I would happily hang a plate around her PCC neck that read something like “H4LF W1T”

Conan257
    Free Member

Couldn’t be bothered reading everyone’s post, so this has probably been covered…

THERE’S NO SUCH THING AS ROAD TAX! How does a police-person not know this?

smatkins1
    Free Member

She needn’t worry, cyclists who jump red lights have short life expectancies.

Sooner or later they will be side swiped by an unsuspecting road tax payer.

martib

I think it goes like this –

I see no drivers doing wrong
    I see no cyclists
    Oh!! A cyclist has done something wrong now I see them 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

I don’t usually carry a wallet at all, on bike or off

You can take the man out of scotland but not the scotland out of the man 😉

cakefacesmallblock

She plainly has no need to work, not as most folk understand it anyway. However, her commitment to doing good and being seen to resolve serious social issues in the South East , probably goes down well at dinner parties.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Conan257 – Member
    How does a police-person not know this?

Because despite ‘police’ in the title of Police and Crime Commissioner, she has zero qualification relating to policing.

PCCs are ridiculous. Were designed to let house wives be elected to wag fingers at the police to keep the Daily Mail readers happy thinking they have a say in the way the police do their daily business, but in reality they have been used by political parties to get politicians they have no use for elected in these roles to spout the odd bit of party political bollocks or just bollocks, to keep the Daily Mail readers happy and take a nice salary and expenses to go with it.

winston
    Free Member

You know I think I genuinely detest this type of hobbiest politician far more than a bona fide benefit scrounger

Her website is ludicrous with absolutely no real information or cv of any kind. One might suppose from this that other than 1 year as a district councilor and a brief stint running an unnamed, undescribed and unaccounted for small business, she has absolutely no qualifications for her current role….aptly illustrated by the way she is performing in it.

aracer
    Free Member

Just a thought on this elected positions thing – wondering if anybody here knows. In the US they have lots and lots of elected posts – chief of police, prosecutor, coroner etc. (probably lots of others as well, but those are the ones I can think of from the books I read). Do people standing for these posts in the US stand on a party ticket, or are they actually mostly people with some experience of the role and canvassing on that basis with no party affiliation?

Because it seems that if done properly elected officials may not be a bad thing (I’m still not convinced by the principle, but that’s another matter) if they are actually people who know something about the job. What seems to have happened with these PCCs is that politicians have stood on a party ticket and been voted in along traditional party lines. Personally I couldn’t care less what the party affiliation of somebody doing such a job is, I just want them to do a good one and see no benefit at all to such elections being run on party lines. It’s different when electing to government or your local council where you need to know what group somebody is going to align with (though in the latter case at least I think they’d be far better run by everybody working together rather than fighting each other).

Admittedly our local PCC who I voted for is an independent with experience of the police and he’s turned out as shit and corrupt as the rest of them.

wwaswas

The Daily Mail is joining in;

which conclusively proves it’s a bad idea.

binners

I think we can immediately discount any article that starts with

“Some of my best friends are…… *insert name of group you’re about to launch into a rambling incoherent tirade of sweeping generalisations against*

Surely the benchmark of lazy journalism. Then there’s the fact that Simon Heffer is just a **** anyway

martinhutch

“Some of my best friends are…… *insert name of group you’re about to launch into a rambling incoherent tirade of sweeping generalisations against*

Exactly my thought when I happened upon it this morning.

aracer
    Free Member

You guys are ahead of me – I thought I’d just see what it had to say and only got as far a the first sentence!

Junkyard
    Free Member

It is one of those that as soon as you hear the words you switch off

I am not racist but being another

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Cyclists don't pay for roads and should have numberplates says Sussex PCC’ is closed to new replies.