Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Cyclists are to blame for road deaths : TfL board member
  • richardthird

You know those driver ed things you can do instead of points? Perhaps you could elect to ride a bike for a week or three instead of getting points for minor offences.

The ONLY way you’re going to educate drivers is to get them to ride a bike on road themselves.

Going further, riding a bike should be a part of the driving test and PSV, HGV thingies too 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The ONLY way you’re going to educate drivers is to get them to ride a bike on road themselves.

what happens when they are run down/killed – who is liable – the government for forcing them on the course?

neilwheel
    Free Member

I also think that Bikeability should be part of the driving test, it might just encourage a few more to ride somewhere too.

MoreCashThanDash

I was a bit cynical when my lad did his Bikeability 2 in year 5 at school, but the stuff he was taught about positioning and being sensibly assertive was spot on.

molgrips
    Free Member

We’ve been doing training for years, it isn’t working.

We have? I missed it!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Horatio – unfortunately your dream is just unlikely so long as humans are involved.

Several junctions i use in London daily, and consider very dangerous by their design, are being redesigned. I don’t think its a dream, i think it will make a big difference to the safety of myself and others who use the junctions.

e.g. One junction at the moment:, HGV’s, tipper trucks, cars and cyclists all set off together. If you queue with the traffic, even in primary road position, you can be left/right hooked in the blind spot of a lorry in the other lane (cyclists go straight on, all traffic turns left or right from either lane).
    If you filter to the front, the same thing happens if the lights change before you get to the front of the traffic.
    I am baffled as to how to tackle the junction safely.

In the future, cyclists approach in a segregated lane, queue separately, and set off when a ‘cyclists only’ traffic light changes. At no point are HGV’s turning across the path of cyclists or vice-versa.

Maybe i’m wrong here, but I consider the redesign a lot more robust to any misjudgements people might make.

andytherocketeer

We’ve been doing training for years, it isn’t working.

We have? I missed it!

Yeah, did mine in 1978. Prolly still got the badge somewhere.

neilthewheel

I loved the film that kcr posted. Send a link to your mp.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, did mine in 1978. Prolly still got the badge somewhere.

What? Cycling proficiency?

I was talking about DRIVER training.

D0NK

TFL board members with significant vested interests (e.g. National Express, LTDA and the Canary Wharf Group, who are apparently funding a the LTDA’s judicial review).

tht occured to me aswell when it was on the news, board memeber for taxi, board member for canary wharf, board member for NE, etc….!

So it’s already critically compromised then? It’s the “pinch points” where cyclists typically come to grief at present…

yeah that must be why taxi drivers, coach business owners and local property owners are blocking it, they’re worried about the poor cyclists. You could well be right but that’s not the reason that these board members are blocking it whilst ignoring opinion polls.

Try to talk to a traffic engineer in these terms though. They just don’t get it.

I wonder, has their ethos for the last 20-30 years been “shift as many cars as quickly as possible” all the european succes stories seem to be, gimp car use and heavily promote bikes which UK seems to have difficulty with and it’s completely at odds with the past few decades.

rs
    Free Member

not necessarily segregated lanes, but segregated cycle crossings at difficult junctions.
    oh and cycle bypass of junctions. why engineer in all those advance stop lines, when you can make a cycle lane totally bypass the junction with no stop necessary.
    pretty sure a civil engineer can earn a few bob from BoJo/TFL for that, and the guy with a vested interest in motorised traffic gains from that too.

Care to tell us how cyclists can bypass a junction without having to stop? If there is turning traffic, they will have to stop at some point. Segregated lanes in Vancouver work well, in my opinion, one thing that makes a difference to the red light jumpers is dedicated bike lights as per image below. London is going in the right direction.

andytherocketeer

not every junction is a crossroads (there’s that British bloke that lives in Netherlands that’s done shed loads of videos explaining some of the street layouts)

roundabouts with permanent right of way to cycle lane, but give way to motorised vehicle lanes

UK will never get them until NL invades by force

thomthumb
    Free Member

not every junction is a crossroads (there’s that British bloke that lives in Netherlands that’s done shed loads of videos explaining some of the street layouts

a view from the cycle path?

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Cyclists are to blame for road deaths : TfL board member’ is closed to new replies.