Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • cyclist spat on
  • Pook

from the world of fb

“Just see the passenger of a box
    van with #beckinteriors.com written on it
    lean out his window and spit on a cyclist!
    Clearly a class company”

nice

Harry_the_Spider

Myself and Terrahawk got spat at by a passenger in a car last year when on our road bikes.

Terra, bless him, chased them for a couple of miles round the houses and they only got away at a red traffic light!

juan
    Free Member

Maybe we could have a stick nmae end shame thread. Where we could put up the name of company whose drivers are abusing cyclist?
    Mods?

Jamie
    Free Member

Maybe we could have a stick nmae end shame thread. Where we could put up the name of company whose drivers are abusing cyclist?
    Mods?

Never gonna happen. Legal minefield for the owners.

kimbers

go straight to the police

they can take a swab for dna, its assault iirc?

juan
    Free Member

Never gonna happen. Legal minefield for the owners.

Is it really? Why, just a web site when people can tell thier tales surely

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is it really? Why, just a web site when people can tell their tales surely

Yep, but it’s a form of publishing.

The mod’s are the editors so the buck stops with them.

Bit of a grey area though. But unless you want to get all legal and expensive, one best avoided.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Commuting home last week in the dark, had something thrown at me (it hit, stung a bit) I assume from out of the passenger window of the subsequent overtaking car. Next car ran over it – in the dark, it looked a bit like it had been some sort of fruit wrapped in plastic?

Bizarre.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I had a bottle of water thrown at me once. Not in a nice cooling way but in a missile to knock me off way. He was annoyed as I had filtered past his sorry ass in traffic and my baggie shorts brushed, yes brushed, his wing mirror. I blew him a kiss, told him I loved him and carried on home. Didnt really fancy a fight with an angry scot!

bigyinn
    Free Member

I never really understand why people do this. You wouldnt lob stuff at a pedestrians, why are cyclists considered fair game?

zbonty

Spitting is not nice behaviour.

Has happened once to me in traffic. I caught up with the offender and moving past on the inside my right foot ‘dislodged’ the wing mirror quite effectively.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I never really understand why people do this. You wouldnt lob stuff at a pedestrians, why are cyclists considered fair game?

In fairness I’ve seen stuff lobbed at pedestrians too. Including my girlfriend. They then had to stop at lights 20m up the road so I picked up the bottle and went to give it back.

headfirst
    Free Member

I had a a driver shout at me through his van window, whilst his mate grinned wildly at me. I was about to remonstrate and flick him the V’s when I realised he’d shouted “Nice arse, mate!”

So I gave him a wink and blew him a kiss!

(I have got a nice arse, actually).

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I’ve also had a van go past and some pleb lean out and shove me in the back, I wobbled but didnt fall off, thankfully a quiet road but sadly that meant they were long gone once I got over the shock. I bet there are millions of stories like these, millions.

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

All correct. If you ever get spat on, it’s assault – head to nearest police station for swab.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Had wd40 sprayed onto me once on the commute home from work. Got into my eyes which wasn’t very pleasant 😡

PJM1974
    Free Member

Not an assault, but I had something really extraordinary happen to me the other day.

I was on my way to the station, very early in the morning when I looked behind me to see a rotund bloke in a -you guessed it- Audi about three hundred yards behind me.

As the rural roads near my home are very narrow, I pulled over and waved him past. This seemed to make him angry, for he pulled up next to me, wound down his window and bellowed “Don’t *#!&ing wave at me!” before driving off, in a fat sort of a way.

slimjim78
    Free Member

(I have got a nice arse, actually).

means nothing without pics

Ive had eggs, beans and stones thrown at me on my bike. And coins whilst jogging.
    The police caught me carrying half a brick on CCTV (it was late and I was alone, the car throwing beans kept coming back for more), caught up with me and tried to nick me for aggrevated behaviour or some such nonsense, then had a go for witholding information about the bean chuckers as I ‘obviously knew them’.
    Then suggested to move house if I didnt like the locals. I told them i’d love to, and if I earned the same as them for overtime I may be able to afford to.
    Didn’t go down well.

Oh, BeckInteriors have received a response on my opinion of their van drivers behaviour.

cynic-al
    Free Member

starfanglednutter – Member

All correct. If you ever get spat on, it’s assault – head to nearest police station for swab.

Plod would use resources of DNA testing on a minor assault?

salome33
    Free Member

slimjim sounds like a well frustrating situation!

I just dont get it why drivers genuinly want to assult people on bikes. What if we just started chucking stuff at walkers cos there ‘slow and unefficient’

I think the government should devise a biking insentive scheme and give people a cctv recording package full 360 so it catches any **** throwing stuff.

buck53

In fairness I’ve seen stuff lobbed at pedestrians too. Including my girlfriend.

Someone lobbed your girlfriend at a pedestrian?

starfanglednutter
    Free Member
    lemonysam
    Free Member

Someone lobbed your girlfriend at a pedestrian?

Swept me off my feet?

FOG

I was out on the road bike this morning, meditating on this very issue.
    Most of the danger to cyclists comes from incompetent drivers who probably aren’t out to kill you because they always drive like that. There are a significant minority however who do have some weird axe to grind. Our friend Mr. Clarkson doesn’t help with his wonderful pronouncements. We know he is a cynical self seeking arse but Joe Scrote thinks he is the fount of all wisdom and seeks to emulate him. It does seem a particularly British disease, I have cycled in Europe and although I have seen plenty of bad driving I have never seen deliberate targeting of cyclists by motorists.

cynic-al
    Free Member

INtersting SFN, you wonder if they would take the same steps for a member of the public – and the perp’s DNA wo0uld hav eot be on the databse.

kimbers

Plod would use resources of DNA testing on a minor assault?

at work for a a few thousand bases of dna we pay 2 quid a go from a private biotech company

even to forensic standards probably only cost 20 quid?

RustySpanner

A good mate of mine once threw a Manchester logend dartboard out of a car at a friend of his walking down the road.

Got rim right on the back of the swede, sent him flying.
    Mate got out of car and realised the bloke he’d hit wasn’t the bloke he knew after all……ooops.

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

Spoke to the missus about this a while back. She used to work in Forensics. It’s possible the police station wouldn’t have spit kits to hand (but likely they will, for themselves). She thought it was worth a try as you may get a conviction and compensation – especially if caught on camera or by witnesses and even more so if accompanied by any other type of assault. The police hold large accounts with the forensic services and put all kinds of samples through every day. The person would need to be on the database – that’s correct. But still, if it’s just popping into the local plod office for a yay or nay, I’d do it.

jarvo
    Free Member

A friend of mine, and a fellow STW member recounts a story of when he was younger, he witnessed the following:

A car with a group of lads overtaking and taunting a cyclist. Whilst overtaking, one of the yoofs leant out of the car and emptied the contents of a McDonalds large cola over the cyclist.

Unfortunately the car stopped 100yards up the road at some lights. The cyclist caught up, got off his bike, walked up to the car … where the lads thought he was going to get all fighty. The cyclist then gave the passenger car door an almighty hoof with his cleated shoes. Turned around, walked back to his bike and cycled off.

legend
    Free Member

One of my mates had a bottle of Coke (or similar) thrown at him when cycling through Bristol. The car then stopped at a set of traffic lights a few hundred yards up the road, so he did the civilised thing and punched the thrower in the face on the way past 🙂

elzorillo
    Free Member

For the short amount of time we spend on the roads during nights out on the bikes.. suprisingly we always get some car load of scrotes shouting abuse and generally being a pain. We have been known to catch the odd one though, which is always fun.

Goes with the teritory and whether you’re on a bike, jogging or walking the dog, they’d still do it.

Pigface
    Free Member

A very long time ago a mate of my sisters thought it would be funny to slap a cyclist on the arse as they drove past. I dont think there was any malicious intent she was just a bit stupid. Anyway she did it and the result was a broken wrist 😯

mudmonster
    Free Member

About 20 years ago I was crossing a fast stretch of road in Bradford. A car was coming so I stopped and waited, it swerved at me and I had to get out of the way quick. I was a lot faster back then so started to run after them when they slowed down for some lights. While I ran I unbuckled my studded belt. As I got to the car the driver got out and begged me not to touch his car and apologised for swerving. I laughed and walked away.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have to admit punching a yoof on the nose for pushing me off my bike whilst training in the hills. Said yoof and mate were being stupid **** by driving up behind me and slowing down then squeezing me into the gutter/ hedge and despite my normally calm frame of mind I freaked. Chased them down to the junction off East Tisted where they’d stopped before pulling onto the main road, I chucked my bike on the verge opened the drivers door and punched him hard, very hard actually.

It was not a proud day in the Bouy household I can tell you.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘cyclist spat on’ is closed to new replies.