Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cyclist road deaths up 10%in last year
  • project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23083117

due to more cyclists on the road, more drivers being un licenced or trained to drive, more drunk or drugged drivers,nutters driving vehicles,road designs, or is it just the cyclists fault for mixing with vehicles weighing from 1 ton up to 40 tons, and driving past us at speeds up to 70mph and more.

Discuss.

scotroutes

I read somewhere that the figures were actually lower per mile travelled.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d love to see the figures for near misses and close calls/paid off accidents but half of cyclists* think that you shouldn’t bother reporting the incidents.

*based on STW threads

clubber
    Free Member

That doesn’t really tell you anything on it’s own though – how many more people are cycling? If the number of cyclists is up by more than 10% then it may even be ‘good news’ (in an odd sort of a way).

roverpig

I read somewhere that the figures were actually lower per mile travelled.

Do you have a reference for that? That’s the figure that matters to me. Not absolute deaths, but deaths per mile traveled.

imnotverygood

Safety in numbers ?

scotroutes

I’m looking 🙂

unovolo
    Free Member

The amount of deaths whether up or down is never a good thing,but as Mikewsmith said what about the number of near misses.

I reckon I get at least 1 clown per road ride I do,which adds up to a good few hundred per year,its only because I’m pretty much on constant alert that it hasn’t been worse.

scaredypants

30 mile road ride today = 2 ****; one in a food delivery truck that overtook me on a narrow road round a blind bend, pushing me onto the verge and another beemer driver who mistook “give way to oncoming traffic” for “it’s only a bike, get stuck in” (through a traffic calming pinch point)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

REPORT THE NEAR MISSES!!!!

Otherwise it never happened

project
    Free Member

http://www.roadjustice.org.uk/

Just reported mine.

adsh
    Free Member

I’ve more or less given up regular road riding. Overtaken and crushed against a wall by a lorry, hit by wing mirror by texting driver – I feel I’ve used my lives.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cyclist road deaths up 10%in last year’ is closed to new replies.