Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cyclist nearly hit me on a pedestrian crossing.
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

Really disappointed to have this happen to me this week.

I can tell that just because a nob head decides to jump a red light and happens to be on a bike he has no reflection of other cyclists however car drivers and general public will tar all cyclists with the same brush.

At the end of the day an idiot is an idiot no matter if they are walking, running, riding or driving.
    But he is really letting other cyclists down by doing this.
    It’s the first time I have seen it happen to be fairt but it was extremely dangerous.

Lights had gone red, green man just came on, I looks left. HGV stopped that side, look right and just about to cross and I see a roadie hammering up to the lights, to my amazement he blasts straight through. I was literally inches away from being hit.

I don’t understand it, it could have stopped easily, obviously thinks he is above the law. Got a good look at him and isn’t strava amazing. It shows who has ridden a segment on a given day and I think I’ve worked out who it is. If I run in to this clown I’ll be having some stern words.

Out of interest if coppers spot a cyclist jumping a red light what’s the punishment? Especially when it’s done dangerously.

IdleJon

I’d be more interested in the police stopping the cars RLJing around here. Crossing the road on a green man isn’t safe anymore.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yup, other bigger priorities

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Just make a Strava segment on his regular routes along the lines of “oi! <username> stop at the lights next time”.

njee20
    Free Member

Big shove from the side.

aracer
    Free Member

<sigh>

HH has it – I’d make the segment as short as possible through the pedestrian crossing. Though don’t you have to have ridden a route to create a segment (you could always just walk a short way along the pavement alongside with your GPS next time you’re there – or even just steal his ride data to re-upload).

tinribz
    Free Member

If you think that’s bad try Rome, there’s a distinct absence of cyclists but the mopeds make up for it weaving through crowds of crossing pedestrians. If you’re not in a group you are not safe from cars either.

Green man means nothing, red lights are completely ignored for anyone turning right, or the traffic lights work differently over there.

cookeaa

It shows who has ridden a segment on a given day and I think I’ve worked out who it is. If I run in to this clown I’ll be having some stern words.

If you have successfully Strava stalked him, send him a message referencing the ride and politely explain your concerns about his riding / conduct and leave it at that…

There’s no point going to the trouble of identifying him online and then waiting for another meeting “IRL” to take up the point…

jekkyl

fffking cyclists.

jekkyl

fffking cyclists.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Name and shame I reckon.

I’ll get me pitchfork…

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’m with njee

kayak23

They don’t pay road tax you know…

aracer
    Free Member

Good point – though I’d also I’d be tempted to flag the ride – and put the reason for the flag as jumping a red light

butcher

You’d think cyclists would have a more sympathetic view towards those vulnerable to them, but I find the ratio of idiots on bikes is no different to the ratio of idiots in cars. Nearly got taken out by a cyclist coming past from behind on Newcastle Quayside recently, at about 20mph! Literally left a couple of inches to spare, just as I was about to (unbeknownst to me) wander into his path. Anyone who knows how many pedestrians are on Newcastle Quayside on a Saturday afternoon will know how stupid that is (this was the busiest part, by the Millennium bridge).

I couldn’t give a toss about red light jumping, if it’s done considerately. Some people are just tossers though. Their method of transport has nothing to do with it.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Thanks Cookeaa I might just do that, probably the best way to go about it.

A few people who witnessed it work who don’t know I’m a cyclist came out with comments like “bloody cyclist”.
    Now if that had been a car jumping the red light I guarantee people would not have said “bloody drivers”

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cyclist nearly hit me on a pedestrian crossing.’ is closed to new replies.