Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Cyclist killed in Edinburgh
  • falkirk-mark
    wwaswas

there’s so often railings when these things happen – nowhere for the cyclist to go 🙁

hels
    Free Member

I saw that, gave me a wee shiver I know a few people in that area.

Was a young chap too from the sounds of it. Terrible shame.

P.S and insensitive pic – my 2nd dad used to be pictures editor on a daily he always fought hard not to publish pics like that

7hz
    Free Member

That is terrible, wishes go out to the cyclists family and friends, and also the lorry driver.

This is the junction http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=Broughton+Road+edinburgh&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Broughton+Rd,+Edinburgh+EH7,+United+Kingdom&ll=55.965377,-3.189765&spn=0.000691,0.001522&t=h&z=20

Not wanting to assume too much but from the BBC pic, looks like they were both travelling south-west, looks like the cyclist was run over, probably from the cyclist being on the inside of the lorry and the lorry turning left, cyclist not.

We probably all do it as cyclists, but this is not the first time this has happened, and makes me think it is vital that cyclists take their own room on the road same as cars and motorbikes etc, and not be consigned to the edge of the road.

I also have to say I find nothing wrong with the pic, it is better that the public see the outcome of these things, than be sheltered from it. IMHO showing the full terrible effects occasionally would be useful for road safety.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why do people post these? No one we know,no details to discuss, no releveance to this forum. Its just voyerism IMO and I hate to see these posts

MrTall
    Free Member

My sympathy to the poor bloke. Still can’t understand why so many cyclists insist on taking chances by riding up the inside of lorries at junctions. Ride assertively but safely, there’s only ever going to be one winner between a cyclist and a vehicle. RIP.

McHamish
    Free Member

More sad news – a policeman in Louisiana squashed by a tree.

Policeman Squashed By a Tree

mustard
    Free Member

*shivers*

Pic is pretty grim but I feel it is appropriate, though probably not what family need to see.

druidh
    Free Member

Isn’t that section of Broughton Road (E Claremont St to Rodney Street) currently closed off for roadworks?

imnotverygood

You don’t know that he road up the inside.. it could easily be a left hook (or indeed any otrher scenario0

druidh
    Free Member

A little more info here:
    http://m.local.stv.tv/edinburgh/news/16440-police-probe-fatal-road-accident-in-broughton/

Broughton Road is, indeed, undergoing some roadworks beyond this junction and all through traffic is diverted along East Claremont Street. The junction has been modified since the Google Maps images were taken and is now a more definite Left Turn than it was previously, the pavement outside the school having been extended to make the crossing of E Claremont St narrower.

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

My wife has just phoned to tell me that.
    It’s just outside my house.
    Poor guy.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Is the current advice to ride on the left until you get to a junction, and then take a more central position when you get to a junction?

BoardinBob

TandemJeremy – Member
    Why do people post these? No one we know,no details to discuss, no releveance to this forum. Its just voyerism IMO and I hate to see these posts
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Do shut up you tiresome little man. How do you know nobody new him? How has a cycling accident have no relevance on a cycling forum? Why is there nothing do discuss?

HermanShake
    Free Member

🙁

wallace1492
    Free Member

TJ, I hate to see these too, because it means a fellow cyclist has died. But as I commute by bike as well as MTB, Tour and Road bike, I like as much information as possible as to the risks I face every day. It might be no one I personally know, but I have deepest sympathy and empathy. It is not vouyerism, it is a sobering reminder of what can happen anytime, and is extremely relevent. “These People” as you call them are caring fellow cyclists, moved that a fellow has had his life shortened.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

BoardinBob +1

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Boarding bob – get a grip there is no need to be so aggressive and nasty.

its clear no one knows him and we have no details so nothing to discuss.

I stand by what I said. These threads about people who get killed or hurt are voyeuristic and deeply unpleasant, If you cannot understand that then I pity you.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wallace –

I like as much information as possible as to the risks I face every day.

thats the point – we have no information to discuss. after an inquest when we know what happened it might be of some relevance.

qwerty
    Free Member

R.I.P. fellow cyclist.

Is the current advice to ride on the left until you get to a junction, and then take a more central position when you get to a junction?

i’d have thought: attempt to maintain awareness of traffic all around you and anticipate the hazards and risks involved in your manouver, ride defensively, take your lane when appropriate, and always keep your eye out for an escape route

personally i think that a certain degree of “shock” tactics are needed in the UK regarding the vunerability of cyclists and the all to common unnesesary risks taken by some

cynic-al
    Free Member

Have to say I share some of your views but you are no ambassador for yourself.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Wallace –

I like as much information as possible as to the risks I face every day.
    thats the point – we have no information to discuss. after an inquest when we know what happened it might be of some relevance.

Well if the story makes someone think twice about getting near a lorry/truck then it is of immense relevence. The information is clear – lorry and cyclist came in contact. In the wider context it may also help drivers look out for cyclists. There may be no specific details for this particular case, but the outcome is clear.

RegP
    Free Member

Very sorry to hear this and my thoughts go out to the family.

But why is there written in the middle of the road on the pro map “Doggie Style” or is that just my screen?????

wallace1492
    Free Member

RegP – Member
    Very sorry to hear this and my thoughts go out to the family.

But why is there written in the middle of the road on the pro map “Doggie Style” or is that just my screen?????

Dog grooming service on the same street.
    It is indeed very sad news.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

It’s a cycling fundamental “Don’t **** with Trucks”

Too many cyclists ride oblivious to the traffic around them, you have to be alert + not take risks. Cycling on the inside of a Truck is not something one should do – unless there is 1. plenty of room .. 2. A long straight road!

franksinatra

I hate to see these posts

Doesn’t stop you reading them though, does it…?

McHamish
    Free Member

It’s a cycling fundamental “Don’t **** with Trucks”

Too many cyclists ride oblivious to the traffic around them, you have to be alert + not take risks. Cycling on the inside of a Truck is not something one should do – unless there is 1. plenty of room .. 2. A long straight road!

I’ve been contemplating commuting in London by bike for a while cos I hate the tube, but whenever I’ve cycled in London I cant help feeling I’m about to be crushed at any moment. You see seasoned cycle commuters charging through traffic like they’re invincible…I just can’t understand how you can get that confident against vehicles.

I was in a old Fiesta once at a roundabout and a truck behind us started gently pushing us forward. After beeping the horn a few times the truck driver noticed us…if he couldn’y see a car or notice that he was pushing it along…how could he notice driving over someone on a bike?

_tom_
    Free Member

Something really needs to be done about the blind spots on a lorry. Not sure what but somebody must be able to think of something to stop accidents like this happening.

neninja
    Free Member

Whilst it’s worth reminding people of the dangers of commuting I have some sympathy with TJ’s perspective even if he made his point somewhat brutally.

I am not aware that this poor soul is a member or friend of anyone here and it does sometimes seem a little unnecessary to post a link to every case of another tragically fallen rider. It might not be meant that way but it does seem voyeuristic and gratuitous. A motorcycle forum where I’m a member, banned such posts for that reason. We all know the risks and don’t need to hear about every cyclists death as sad as it may be, whether it’s a heart attack at a trail centre or a RTA.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

that’s really awful. i don’t see how reading a news story is voyeuristic. however, i cycle that corner to and from work, so i appreciate this story. it’s a sobering thought to see that something like this could happen on such a familiar spot to me, and it saddens me to think of the poor guy’s family. i pity others who see something such as this as irrelevant to themselves.

7hz
    Free Member

neninja – I can see that point, but if it isn’t reported / discussed, what then? Is it better we bury our heids in the sand?

What’s the use of posting about this tragic accident?

* Maybe I cycle that road, and there is a dangerous spot to watch out for?

* Maybe I cycle in Edinburgh, and this is a warning to be careful at corners / near trucks and the like?

* Maybe I cycle on the road anywhere, and this makes me think more carefully about my road sense?

* Maybe this opens discourse about cycling safety in general?

10 people a day are killed in RTAs in the UK. We hear about a pitiful few. If that number were killed because of almost anything else, it would be reported as an epidemic, a slaughter, a horror. Imagine if 10 people a day got killed in heavy industry? There’d be a public outcry! Yet we can accept 10 a day killed on the roads, “that’s life”.

farty81
    Free Member

TJ – you’re a bit off-piste on this one! It’s a bit like saying how dare the BBC report this! Whilst tragic, it is important that it is shared within the cycling community so that people understand the risks and can adjust their riding in order to avoid a similar fate.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

farty – there are others who agree with me. I stand by it. Its distasteful and voyueristic – the same as stopping to look at an RTA

it is important that it is shared within the cycling community so that people understand the risks and can adjust their riding in order to avoid a similar fate.

We know no details so cannot do this. Once we know what happened discussion might have some point along those lines.

falkirk-mark

As the OP on this topic I am not going to get into a discussion with TJ about this (I would rather bang my head on the wall as it would achieve the same result) However I do not know how you can take from this I am voyeuristic. The 2 main reasons I posted this was that it was about a cyclist and also it was in Edinburgh where a lot of the STW members are from. So if I have upset some of the members on heres frail sensibilities then too bad. As I said earlier this is my last posting on this subject as i am not on here for a pointlees argument discussion. Everyone is welcome to make up their own minds as to why I posted this.
    Cheers Mark
    p.s If you find it distasteful teej complain to the BBC

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mark – I am not having a go at you personally. Please don’t take it as such. These sort of thread pop up every now and then along with “ambulance spotted at …”

I don’t always make comment about it but this time I decided I would as it is very local to me.

I would like people to think – what purpose does having this thread have?

Informative – we have no info apart from a cyclist is dead – we don’t know what happened nor why. if we did than that would have some point to it. there is no other possible excuse.

its very easy to say there is nothing wrong with it but do we really have to have a commemorative thread for every cyclist who dies? When non of us know them and there is no lesson to be learnt?

Kit
    Free Member

what purpose doe shaving this thread have?

It’ll make it less hairy? edit: dammit you went back and changed it 😀

Jeremy, I appreciate your point of view, and to a lesser extent agree with you, however these two statements of yours are counter-arguments:

we have no info apart from a cyclist is dead

and

When non of us know them…

+ the other times you’ve stated this.

If we don’t know who the guy is, then how do we know that they are not known to someone on here?

I’ve been off the forum for two weeks. Someone on here may well indeed know the guy, but isn’t on STW today to tell us. Don’t jump to conclusions! (ironically what you’re asking us not to do).

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think TJ’s point is that this would be no way of announcing someone’s death to those that knew them.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Why does the BBC article call it an accident and then go on to say they are still trying to find out the exact circumstances? I’m with Road Peace on this one, road fatalities all too often aren’t accidents, they happen for a reason. There is a reason Sweden, Holland etc have safer roads than us here, and it’s not because they are ‘luckier’.

druidh
    Free Member

An accident is something which is unintentional. Are you suggesting that this was intentional?

mansonsoul
    Free Member

From Road Peace:

Crashes are still seen as unfortunate ‘accidents’, instead of preventable collisions
    Society tolerates road death and disability as an acceptable price to pay for increased motorisation and convenience
    Crash victims do not have the same rights or support as other victims of crime or trauma.

That gets it for me. Road deaths may not be caused intentionally but I would argue they are often caused by negligence and illegality. ‘Accident’ removes that sense of responsibility.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Cyclist killed in Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.