Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Cyclist found dead, DevonCornwall Police ask for help,
  • vincienup
    Free Member

That’s a bit grim – unless I’m missing something it sounds like someone’s made off with his bike after he’s stacked it and left him?

revs1972
    Free Member

How do you come to that conclusion after reading that article ????

Dales_rider
    Free Member

At approximately 9.00am on Saturday 18th January a local dog walker located the body of a male within the grounds of the mine works at Wheal Maid Near Caraharrack in Cornwall. She alerted the Police who attended, cordoned off the area and commenced enquiries.

We believe the male has had a serious accident within the works and subsequently died at the scene. His identity is unknown at this time and we would ask anyone who may know him to come forward to assist us.

The gentleman is aged between 50 and 65 years of age, he was dressed in a blue fleece, dark coloured Ron Hill type running bottoms and black Specialized Sport TR cycling shoes. He was also wearing a pair of brown gardening gloves. He has a full grey beard and a bald head. A pair of spectacles were located nearby. A black baseball cap was also found nearby.

This is an area used by mountain bikers on a daily basis and we would predominately ask any bikers who may have seen this gentleman at any time in the area or if anybody has any information that may assist Police with their enquiries to make contact on 101 and quote log number 182 .

Also from that how do you get he was a cyclist, or at least cycling at the time ?

Mackem

..he was wearing cycling shoes.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Mackem – Member

..he was wearing cycling shoes.

I wear running shoes, but dont run 😛

Junkyard
    Free Member

does anyone walk in their cycling shoes off road deliberately?

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Depends what kind of shoes….. I often wear my mtb shoes out and about

vincienup
    Free Member

Not actually sure this Poirot fest is helping…

I was simply thinking cycling shoes in well offroad area indicated likely involvement of a bike. Flats I could see being worn as trainers maybe, but I can’t imagine anyone popping out for a walk in spds deliberately. Spesh Tr’s are very much spds, and not really for walking sections even looking at the soles. The report played up the area being a popular MTB spot, and I leapt to a conclusion. The clothing could be almost anything, I’ve ridden in most types of clothing and glove at one time or another.

Not trying to get a last word in here, just explaining where I ‘got that from’ and I could well be wrong.

There’s a dead guy here, and the police are looking for information.

I probably shouldn’t have speculated out loud in the first place.

asterix
    Free Member

No mention of a bike though?

The rumour mill is that the body was found in a pond up there so we assume the bike is in there also.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Shouldn’t speculate as it could be a million and one reasons why he is there. Fromknocked over I road and body dumped to well acrtually cycling.
    Sad what ever the cause

Olly
    Free Member

I think they are these shoes?

Whats wrong with this picture?

colin9

I ride up there pretty regularly, every week or two. Sounds like a curious combination of cycling shoes and gardening gloves. The area is riddled with abandoned open mine workings and industrial buildings, could easily fall in an old shaft hidden by bracken. Most unfortunate.

grtdkad

Very sad. RIP mate…

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Local area where i ride, sad times..RIP

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

That’s where I’m from, too. Actually exactly where I learned to ride offroad!

I do know a guy who might fit the description.

Gotta make some phonecalls…

OCB
    Free Member
    OmarLittle
    Free Member

sad news

pingu66
    Free Member

Amazed at all the sleuthing.

Sad news indeed that someone’s dad, husband, lover, uncle, brother has passed away in tragic circumstances, albeit doing something he enjoyed.

Hope the police manage to tie it all together for the peace of mind of the loved ones he has left behind.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

72yrs, good on him for being out there and riding.

RIP fella.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Assuming that’s the same venue as the nationals then its quite a harsh area to be riding on your own at 72 so fair play to him I wouldn’t want to ride there on my own.

Hope there’s no foul play involved RIP.

snaps
    Free Member
    project
    Free Member

So very tragic for his family and freinds, and keep a look out for the main suspect.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Cyclist found dead, DevonCornwall Police ask for help,’ is closed to new replies.