• This topic has 69 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Cyclist "cut up" by an ambulance (one for Drac ;) )
  • chakaping
    Free Member

The ambulance was behind him at all times, so as your thread title implies he wasn’t “cut up” at all. Wonder if the cyclist has some kind of hearing impairment, or just a cognitive one (as evidenced by complaint).

On a tangent, I was actually close passed and cut up by a mountain rescue team member “making progress” through a village a few weeks ago. The driver was on the way to an incident in the local country park.

How do I know? I saw a MRT sticker on the back of the car and spotted it parked next to the MRT Land Rover by the time I’d got up the hill and round the corner.

Do we think it’s fair to give cyclists less respect than normal when there might be an old dear who’s turned an ankle while walking her dog in the woods?

martinhutch

On a tangent, I was actually close passed and cut up by a mountain rescue team member “making progress” through a village a few weeks ago. The driver was on the way to an incident in the local country park.

Do we think it’s fair to give cyclists less respect than normal when there might be an old dear who’s turned an ankle while walking her dog in the woods?

No excuse for a dangerous pass from any emergency vehicle. Even if you’re being a prize tit and not moving over for them. And MR vehicles certainly have zero extra status and driving privileges when attending incidents.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I wonder how much training the MRT members get to drive like that?

(I know the answer to that for the two busiest ones in Scotland but cannot assume it’s the same everywhere).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Drac

We’re taught to do that, I assume you are too?

I was taught under the police advanced driving regulations.

convert

Technically the cyclist did nothing wrong (I don’t think anything he did can be construed as obstruction),

Looked at it again this morning. The car he was following pulled over for the ambulance and instead of staying in line and pulling over too he elected to pull out to get around it and continue on his way. He had the opportunity to not obstruct the ambulance whilst remaining safe and did not take it. Does this count as ‘did nothing wrong’ in a lagal sense- maybe. Do it consistitute did nothing wrong in a moral sense – he absolutly did.

From my perspective from that point on you have to regard everything else he says as the words of a knob and of little value. And I’m more than happy for a knob acting selfishly to get the full horn treatment from a member of the emergency services.

jecca
    Free Member

ambulance got that all wrong

convert

ambulance got that all wrong

Love you explain why (in your opinon) if you are able to.

DezB
    Free Member

Do you people actually ride bikes?

Actually forget it. I get it now – being a judgmental **** is far more fun than admitting that you don’t know.
    I sometimes forget that’s how The Internet works. It’s me age, you know.

matt_outandabout

How come the cyclist makes the news, with the world judging him and ambulance driver?

Really, we ought to have thousands of ‘idiot in a Fiesta didn’t pull over far enough’ headlines every day…

Once more for me it is a ‘cyclists bad’ narrative in the press – even compare the Metro headline with the ‘now you decide who is wrong’ buttons.

I am also not sure from that few seconds of video what happened – the cyclist has to look right behind, guess ambulance route, decide whether to stop or carry on, judge other traffic, work out their route, be alert for other cars coming round roundabout, balance bike/brake/steer/pedal etc. That video is a few seconds. Not enough time for driver or rider to really react, let alone the pitchforks to be sharpened.

convert

Really, we ought to have thousands of ‘idiot in a Fiesta didn’t pull over far enough’ headlines every day…

I guess if you elect to upload a video slagging off the ambulance driver your own actions are going to be called into question.

mattyfez

Let us not forget about who owns the metro and what other news paper they are affiliated with.
    Drumroll…

tjagain

My view is the cyclist had plenty of time and space to tuck in behind the car already slowing to let the ambulance past. It does not take a few seconds to react.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why didn’t the cyclist just wait at the junction ?

jecca
    Free Member

amby driver trained for this type of situation, amby driver has the better view of the traffic ahead, amby driver already aware that traffic not reacting exactly as he would hope, amby driver coming in way too hot for his hard left, amby driver has a terrible road position for his hard left, amby driver honking his horn in anger like an oaf
    cyclist and other road users made assumptions and some got it wrong, amby driver trained to expect this in traffic.

mattyfez

Cyclist should have been more aware, but also it was unsafe for the ambulance to overtake the bike, which in fairness they didn’t.. no point turning one emergency into two.

I’d say 50/50.

convert

but also it was unsafe for the ambulance to overtake

Not sure where you are seeing the ambulance overtake the bike, or even trying to.

mattyfez

Not sure where you are seeing the ambulance overtake the bike, or even trying to.

Yeh I’ve edited my post.. The ambulance was positioning for the overtake though imo, and decided there was no room at the last minute and tucked back in.

To be honest it’s a bit of a non incident really.

smell_it
    Free Member

My view is the cyclist could have pulled over before, and therefore should have. Whether he proceeded as he did because he ‘was assured he was correct in the eyes of the highway code’ or panicked and proceeded, I can’t say for certain.

I’ve certainly made my share of poor decisions whilst riding, so usually I’m not one to make comment. At at the end of the day, this was hardly a major incident. But given his behaviour following he certainly looks like a massive bellend who believes he can’t be wrong. I can’t believe he’s not already a member on here.

cb

Cyclist was a tit, ambulance driver also a tit – for the extra air horn rather than the driving. The air horn wasn’t a warning to the rider it was a “get out of my way, can’t you see how important I am” blast.

Unnecessary from the driver but in no way did he endanger the cyclsit.

The most disturbing thing was the video that followed that one – group of ned teenagers kicking the bejesus out of a girl on her own, head stamps the lot. Absolute scum…

Drac

Just had a quick look at the guys twitter account, he’s a serial complainer.

aracer
    Free Member

Indeed – here we have one complaining about an ambulance driver nearly colliding with him when he didn’t. Which is how those articles and this thread came about.

Of course – and that driving falls way, way short of the what is required to prove careless driving (ie below the standard expected of a competent driver).

Taking your hand off the wheel to make hand gestures is also careless driving and there have been convictions, including where it’s resulted in cyclist injuries. I wouldn’t trust the witnesses or Metro reporting to say whether that happened or not in this case.

So you’re speculating about it? 🙄

Technically the cyclist did nothing wrong

Well apart from ignoring HC rule 219 that is.

the ambulance driver did bend a few rules. Technically; and the whole dying baby thing means we ignore the technicalities.

Indeed it does, and it is expected and accepted that emergency vehicles will bend the rules which apply to other road users. Hence HC rule 219. My walk to school is along a road often used by emergency vehicles and I see them often “bending” the rules – one this morning went through a red light!!! 😯
    😯 😯 Though interestingly several of the cars it overtook also pulled into a mandatory bike lane.

doggycam
    Free Member

Having been on the receiving end, lying in bits at the side of the road waiting for an ambulance to arrive.

GET OUT OF THE WAY !

amedias
    Free Member

I wonder if he was riding with headphones on

It doesn’t render you completely deaf (not that deaf people can’t ride safely on the road anyway).

I am partially deaf, I often use headphones, not only can I still hear sirens I can also still hear car engines, and people next to me talking, and at times I can’t hear my music because the wind noise is too high. Sure it’s possible to use noise cancelling headphones and whack the volume up to crazy levels, but that’s not the only mode of operation.

Headphones doesn’t necessarily mean an inability to hear, just like no headphones doesn’t necessarily mean you can…

DezB
    Free Member

Indeed – here we have one complaining about an ambulance driver nearly colliding with him when he didn’t.

Ah yeah, cos everyone read that before commenting on the video!

ignoring HC rule 219 that is.

Who’s speculating?

smell_it
    Free Member

The most disturbing thing was the video that followed that one

Aye 😯

Agreed total scum!! Certainly makes you realise we have bigger problems than some throbber on his bike.

theotherjonv

neither party perfect, both could have done better. Nob for making an issue of it though.

My additional observation would be that when car drivers hear a siren, frequently it inspires them to ridiculous feats, diving into the kerb in front of other traffic and so on. It seems almost as if they get transfixed by the emergency vehicle and everything around them disappears. So i agree, when i hear one my impulse when on a bike is to get some space around me, onto a pavement or suchlike because when they’re all panicking looking to pull in I don’t want them forgetting my presence. We weren’t there and while it’s easy to say he could have gone in behind the car, at that instant with chaos starting to unfold behind, he might have decided to aim for an empty stretch of road instead of creating another obstruction right on the r/bout.

But he did than make a fuss of it, so he’s still a nob.

matt_outandabout

convert – Member

I guess if you elect to upload a video slagging off the ambulance driver your own actions are going to be called into question.[/quote]

Indeed. Youtube is full of idiot driver / road rage / car cam films. Not one makes the newspapers.

slowster
    Free Member

convert – Member

The car he was following pulled over for the ambulance and instead of staying in line and pulling over too he elected to pull out to get around it and continue on his way.

tjagain – Member

the cyclist had plenty of time and space to tuck in behind the car already slowing to let the ambulance past.

When I first looked at the video I thought that the car (a Toyota?) had indeed pulled in to allow the ambulance to pass. If that were the case it would suggest that the ambulance had used its siren earlier (or that the driver was very diligent in checking his rear view mirror) and that the cyclist should have likewise been aware of the ambulance well before he reached the roundabout, and pulled in.

However, I am not so sure that the Toyota was not stationary and positioned where it was because it was/had been simply giving way to a car already on the roundabout, and was just waiting for the opportunity to enter the roundabout and take the first exit. If so, the cyclist was simply getting in the correct position (to take the second exit) when he moved out and ‘overtook’ the Toyota. In the video, the siren starts immediately before the cyclist enters the roundabout: by that point he is already committed. If so, for the ambulance driver to then sound the horn seems possibly to be bad practice: the cyclist has already been surprised by the ambulance siren, sounding the horn might only result in uncertainty in the cyclist’s mind about what to do, and might cause him to panic and brake, blocking the ambulance’s path for longer.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Cyclist should have pulled over but doesn’t have to. Makes him a bit of a knob.

Ambulance driver should know the above.

Ambulance driver did a decent job of making progress and avoiding the cyclist.

Its amazing how crap people are at letting blue lights through. People who stop when they should go; people go when they should stop.

Drac

It’s hard to tell due to wind noise when the siren started, it’s also seems fairly deliberately edited so you can’t see anything leading up to it. The footage from the ambulance would make it more interesting but I place good money on it they had the siren on long before reaching the roundabout, the other vehicles behaviour suggests so.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Cyclist "cut up" by an ambulance (one for Drac ;) )’ is closed to new replies.