Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Cycling with DSLR
  • nunuboogie
    Free Member

How do folks safely and comfortably carry their camera’s? Would like to take mine out more often but worried about damaging it.

IA

IN a bag clipped to the chest straps of my camelback.

Phototim
    Free Member

Insure it all risks, throw it in your bag and don’t worry about it. Otherwise it’ll constantly be on your mind. I have a lowe pro camera bag that’ll give good protection but if I only want a small, more bike specific bag, I just wrap in in an item of clothing and push it to the bottom of the bag with second lens. Try clik (or it might be clic) camera bags for compact sports specific bags. Expensive and I don’t think they are available over here though.

stumpy01

Some people wrap it in a waterproof and stick it in their bag.

I bought a Think Tank Digital Holster and the chest harness to go with it. You can adjust how high it sits on your chest, how tight is sits & the bag is expandable for a range of lenses. It also comes with a waterproof cover and a normal shoulder strap if you don’t wanna use it while cycling.

I was a bit sceptical when I first saw it, so tried one at the Focus On Imaging exhibition and was well impressed. Costs about £50 all in.

EDIT:

One of these: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/digital-holster-10-shoulder-bag.aspx
    with one of these: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/digital-holster-harness-strap.aspx

SFB uses a LowePro bag I think that fits onto his pack with carabiners – he’ll probably post a pic in a bit….

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

chest pack:

very quick to access 🙂

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

Low-pro nova mini clipped on via carabiners.

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

wow as if time stood still exactly as above ^^^^^^^^

Phototim
    Free Member

IN a bag clipped to the chest straps of my camelback.

I’ve not tried it myself but that sounds like a very bad place to keep it…
    If you crash and land on your chest (very likely) you’ll break the camera and your ribs. If not you’ll break your wrist/arms/collar bone trying to protect your camera!

At the bottom of my bag it keeps the weight low and keeps out the way of trees and low branches. Only down side is I can’t get to it in an instant.

jfletch
    Free Member

I leave mine at home. Rocky descents in The Peaks and expensive cameras don’t mix. Take a crappy old compact if you want to take pictures and not worry about breaking stuff.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If you crash and land on your chest (very likely) you’ll break the camera and your ribs.

I have extensively tested this. I’ve never had time to even think about the camera, but IME they’re tougher than I am. One time the vibration reduction on the lens cut out 6 weeks after a heavy crash which I attributed to the impact, but there’s never been any visible damage.

Rocky descents in The Peaks and expensive cameras don’t mix.

Tart! Sounds like an ideal photo opportunity to me 🙂

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

I agree. but i work on the fact that if it brakes it brakes,the camera is insured,and i want access straight away,having never fallen on my chest in 20yrs,its something im not going to start worrying about now.
    And its not uncommon to fall at least once a ride for me.

stumpy01

I’ve not tried it myself but that sounds like a very bad place to keep it…
    If you crash and land on your chest (very likely) you’ll break the camera and your ribs. If not you’ll break your wrist/arms/collar bone trying to protect your camera!

I crash a lot, but don’t think I’ve ever landed specifically on my chest. I have however ended up on my back quite a few times. Anywhere has a level of risk, but don’t think a camera on your chest is worse than on your back.
    It does mean that you don’t have to take your pack off every time you want to take a picture though, so it’s much quicker and in my experience I am more likely to actually take a pic if it means I don’t have to take my pack off…

marionheck
    Free Member

I use a think tank bag that is on my chest, i either clip it onto my rucksack or use the strpas that it came with that corss brehind your back. Is good.

i foudn havign an slr int eh rucksack not much use as i didn’t stop much as i couldn’t be botehred with the faff of getting it out and putting it back, or was too slow doing it and missed the moment. so it had to be on my chest and quick access.

nbt

Mate of mine was trying to sell one of the think tank bags, this one

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/digital-holster-30-shoulder-bag.aspx

might still be available, let me know if you;re interested. He was looking for about £25 I htink

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Not a cheap option this…

Go buy a Panasonic GF1 – it’s a small, lightweight DSLR. There are a stack of padded cases with lens flaps and chest or side mountings you can buy. The all important factor here is lightweight and compact – not heavy, bulky and cumbersome.

I keep it in my Camelbak inside a small “river bag”, and then inside a padded case with a lens flap. If I see a photo opportunity, I can be arsed faffing about and getting it out. But it only comes out with me when I plan to take photos.

Phototim
    Free Member

Wow I’m surprised how many people carry their cameras like that! I see the benefit completely, taking your bag off is a hassle but I would never wear it on my front unless it was a pootle over the hills. I’ve had several crashes onto my chest and they are always the fast, out of the blue, no time to prepare, didn’t see it coming crashes. Rag doll into a tree or over the bars on a steep rocky section where you don’t have time to put your hands out and when you do, your hands slip and you hit the rocks full force anyway! I would have done serious damage to myself had I been wearing a 2kg chunk of glass, metal and plastic on my chest!

I agree with sfb, slrs will take far more abuse than people realise, especially the more robust pro models. My D200 has been covered in salt water, dropped and had a lens smashed by my mate running into me on the inside of a berm (the lens was terminal, body was fine!). Fear of damage is never a reason for me not to ride with my camera, only weight and freedom of movement.

Check out those bags I mentioned in my first post, could be useful to people on here.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

it’s a small, lightweight DSLR

it isn’t, no reflex, and only expensive add-on and apparently poor viewfinder!

But it only comes out with me when I plan to take photos

that’s every day, all the time for me 🙂 I take my D300 when I go for coffee or shopping 🙂

IA

Well, I’ve crashed a fair bit in my time (I ride and race DH) and it’s very unusual to land flat on my chest. Normally my arms and legs are involved first. Infact the only time I’ve had chest injuries from a crash was from a very hard impact on my shoulder and face putting me in hospital.

McHamish
    Free Member

I want to take my camera out too…i’m a keen photographer so my camera’s a bit pricey (more than my bike!) so i’ve been looking for a way of carrying it with minumum risk.

I reckon insurance is the first step, then there’s a little pressure off knowing that if I break it I’ll be able to claim it back (assuming the policy will cover it – is MBKing classed as an extreme sport?).

Next I was thinking about a pannier thingy on the back with a sturdy bag attached to it. I’ve seen some in Evans in Canary Wharf with the same interior as a camera bag, i.e. with adjustable velcro partitions. Not sure if my big zoom lens will fit in it, but I think it’ll take my other lenses.

I spent much of my summer cycling around the North Downs and saw so many nice views, such as over the Denbies wine estate. Trouble is I was training for cycling the South Downs Way from Winchester to Eastbourne so didn’t have time to hang around. Now i’m not training for anything I reckon i’ll be taking my camera with me.

I don’t like the idea of attaching it to my chest…if I was to come off i think I’ll do my self an injury trying not to land on it…probably end up breaking my wrist or something.

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member

it’s a small, lightweight DSLR

it isn’t, no reflex, and only expensive add-on and apparently poor viewfinder!

You are right about the “R”, I figured here was not the place to go into Micro Four Thirds techy talk. Viewfnder – I don’t use one so wouldn’t know – but I suppose it depends on which one you buy (it’s an add-on). The big fat LCD screen on the back is good enough for me.

It is however a great all-in-one for adventuring.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

if I was to come off i think I’ll do my self an injury trying not to land on it..

I’ve had dozens of crashes and never damaged my camera, and it was unmarked when I forgot to do up the clip and it fell out as I rode down some steps 🙂

I do get through lens hoods though…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but I suppose it depends on which one you buy (it’s an add-on). The big fat LCD screen on the back is good enough for me.

there’s only one as made by Panasonic. IMO big fat screens are very poor for photography, particulary action 🙁 How can you hold the camera steady away from your body ?

grumm
    Free Member

there’s only one as made by Panasonic.

You can use other optical viewfinders for framing if you are using a fixed lens.

IMO big fat screens are very poor for photography

It’s funny, people seem to quite like my photos, even though they are taken with the ‘very poor’ big fat screen.

How can you hold the camera steady away from your body ?

Easily. What kind of shutter speeds are you using where you can’t hold a camera steady without having it against your face?

sheldona
    Free Member

chuck mine in the wingnut

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You can use other optical viewfinders for framing if you are using a fixed lens.

yes, I suppose you could even make them yourself 🙂

It’s funny, people seem to quite like my photos, even though they are taken with the ‘very poor’ big fat screen.

I said “photography” not “photographs”, the action of taking the shot, not the result 🙂

What kind of shutter speeds are you using where you can’t hold a camera steady without having it against your face?

up to 10s ? I always prefer to remove camera movement as a factor, and I imagine panning would be a nightmare 🙁

grumm
    Free Member

Silly me thinking photography was about taking photographs! 🙂

You take handheld shots 10 seconds long? You must be superhuman to be able to get a sharp shot like that. Or do you mean 1/10s?

Panning is admittedly not a strong point of the GF1, but is certainly possible.

Wu-Tangled

These are very good if you just want to chuck it in a bag and not have the bulk of a lowepro rucksack etc. I have one for each body and they’re good if you just want to go out with a camelback not a ‘look at me’ bag.

http://optechusa.com/pouches/soft-pouch-digital-d-series.html

McHamish
    Free Member

You can get a gorilla pod for SLRs that might help with slow shutter speeds, or if you could just take a tripod if you can be bothered to carry it.

I prefer the viewfinder myself, you can hold the camera more steadily using that I find, although liveview’s useful for awkward shots.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You take handheld shots 10 seconds long? You must be superhuman to be able to get a sharp shot like that

however long it takes! My point is that I don’t care to add to the possibilities of spoiling the shot.

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Simonfbarnes – as I suspected would happen, you have completely de-railed this thread and turned it into technical discussion on photography.

I think the initial point was the safe transportation of valuable cameras in a relatively dangerous activity.

There… back on track…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think the initial point was the safe transportation of valuable cameras in a relatively dangerous activity.

and I think they’re quite robust and I’ve never managed to break one despite extreme carelessness. It might be dangerous if you gave thought to protecting it during a crash so don’t.

molgrips
    Free Member

I crash a lot, but don’t think I’ve ever landed specifically on my chest.

I have, loads 🙂

I have an Olympus E620 which I bought because it and the lenses are small. I put it in a small caselogic bag and stick it in my camelbak.

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Molgrips – my point exactly. Small but powerful camera, easy to pad out and stow away in a non-rib-or-camera-breaking-location.

stumpy01

If I was intending on riding at 100% balls out, taking risks, riding stuff I hadn’t done before etc. I probably wouldn’t take my camera.

If I was on a ‘normal’ ride, taking ‘normal’ risks I probably would take my camera.

Yes, there’s a risk on any ride that you’ll damage yourself or your kit but you have to weigh the risk up against the advantages of accepting that risk.

If I carry my SLR in my rucsack I know pretty well from experience that the chances are I won’t use it, as to me it is a pain having to keep taking my bag off, unravelling the camera from all the protective stuff I choose to wrap it in & then put it all back.
    Yet, I am still carrying it with me and there is still the risk I will damage it. But I gain no benefit of it being with me, so it’s a pointless risk….

If I carry my SLR on my chest I can be stopped & ready to take a pic in way less than 30 seconds. I can also get the camera packed away and be riding again in less than 30 seconds. This makes it much less disruptive to others who are riding and it isn’t such a pain to use. So, I am more likely to use it…..
    There is still a risk involved in taking it with me, but that risk is mitigated by the fact that I am more likely to actually use it & it isn’t just a dead weight, or pointless risk.

Horses for courses…….

molgrips
    Free Member

Another point about the 4/3 or micro 4/3 cameras is the 2x focal length multiplier. So a 150mm zoom is equivalent to 300mm on a 35mm camera. This means that lenses tend to be very small and light, as well as the camera.

Re faffage, I only take the DSLR on solo rides where I know I can stop and fiddle. If I haven’t got time to mess around taking photos then I probably won’t even take a camera at all.

Just another voice here.. each to their own of course.. We all ride differently 🙂

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

i take my camera(fuji SL1500)with me most times i go out and when i first started thinking about how i would take my camera with me just happen to come across a thread on here showing sfb with the camera strapped to his cheast and to me it seamed to be the logically way and in a year ive never had a problem and think ive taken more pictures than i would have had it been in my pack plus iam pretty sure that chipps carrys his camera in the same way.

hopster
    Free Member

Lowe Pro on my chest. I bought a four thirds camera because it was smaller to carry. Don’t fall often but haven’t damaged a camera yet whilst out riding with one since around 2004.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

plus iam pretty sure that chipps carrys his camera in the same way.

it was he that suggested it to me 🙂

jfletch
    Free Member

Rocky descents in The Peaks and expensive cameras don’t mix.

Tart! Sounds like an ideal photo opportunity to me

If a photo is of such quality it needs the extra IQ of a DSLR then its worth taking properly, which means time. Time that could be better spent riding.

If I was out on a ride specifically to take photos then I would just put the camera in my rucksack, ride slowly and take my time taking pictures. If I’m out on a ride with mates then a small tough compact is much better than a DSLR for documenting the ride and won’t slow you down or be at risk all the time.

(Maybe living in the peaks has made be a touch picky on both photography and riding opportunities)

P20

Another lowepro chest pack user here. Carrying a D80 with 18-135mm lens. I crashed over the bars last week. Didn’t even think about the camera until reading this thread, it’s been working fine since.
    The convenience of the chest pack is fantastic.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Cycling with DSLR’ is closed to new replies.