Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cycling West Highland Way….oh and with a bob trailer.
  • Joe

I'm cycling from Glasgow to JOG offroad from next week. I've been busy with work and havn't secured my route yet….i'm going to mess around in the highlands and hebrides for about a month.

I'm pretty determined to ride with by bob trailer (yes i've ridden with it offroad before). I've read horror stories epecially about the loch lomond section which i'm keen to avoid…can anyone shed some light on this section, where to go, whats actually the problem with it and how to avoid it?

Secondly how often are there styles or fences which you need to cross? Thats the one pita with a trailer!

Lastly tyre wise…I'm thinking a Racing Ralph on the front and a Marathon Extreme on the rear. There will be road days and so don't want to much drag. I wonder how much i'll struggle on stretches like the WHY!?

dmiller
    Free Member

The north section of loch lomond is a carry. It will be a nightmare with a bob trailer!

TheBrick
    Free Member

I did a modified WHW route last year. Started from Stirling. It avoids following the drown of the A82. First days ride is very easy technical wise but still nice enjoyable riding. The first days ride involves some Sustrans route which stars off in Glasgow so if you followed that it would join up with my route.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=RrzKj&doc_id=5981&v=5P

13thfloormonk

I've done large sections of the WHW with a trailer, but there's a couple of sections i'd be wary of. the descent into kinlochleven from the Devil's staircase has some pretty big sharp edged drainage ditches, if you can't hop the bike you'll have to slow down a lot for them, and thre trailer wheel might hang up in them anyway. Also the climb, although you'd be pushing lots of that with or without the trailer…

there aren't too many gates or stiles, i managed to keep the trailer hooked on to the bike by dint of picking bike up with one hand and trailer with the other. bit of a strain on the old arms but was worth it for reduced fuss.

the north bank of loch lomondside is a tricky walk with the bike alone, would be purgatory with the trailer. i hear there is a ferry from inversnaid to the west bank, where you can ride along the road to Ardlui to rejoin the way.

Joe

Thanks…i'll read that blog.

Great advice guys. Keep it coming.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

The descent from Devil's Staircase into kinlochleven is great fun. You could prob manage it with a bob..but getting up there is another story.

I done it with panniers which was a nightmare, can't imagine how hard it would be pushing a bike and bob up there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cycling West Highland Way….oh and with a bob trailer.’ is closed to new replies.