Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cycling UK: Latest "Cycle" magazine. Where's the location of the cover shot?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

All it says is a “bridleway on Helvellyn”

But where?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

whitestone
    Free Member

The only location I can get to fit is here http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=332842&Y=513544&A=Y&Z=115 with the background being Wythburn at the southern end of Thirlmere

jobro
    Free Member

I thought print was dead! Interesting to see a new cycling magazine at this point.
    Is it worth a read i_r?

mikey3
    Free Member

Its the CTC mag isn’t it? try asking on their forum,guess someone there wouldknow

thepodge
    Free Member

Considering its the title shot for a rights of way article you sure it’s a Bridleway?

I’ve not had chance to read my copy yet.

whitestone
    Free Member

This shot looks to have a very similar background, as does this one – I’m going with my original location posted a couple of hours ago.

ninfan
    Free Member

Worth mentioning the news story that ties into it:

http://www.cyclinguk.org/news/20170127-unified-front-shows-conflict-countryside

and the parliamentary evidence session is available In full

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Well spotted Whitestone. I’ve been meaning to try the descent off Birkside for a while. Would never have considered it for a climb though.

Considering its the title shot for a rights of way article you sure it’s a Bridleway?

It states quite clearly in the article that it is a bridleway podge, to make the point.
    “Footpaths and bridleways often look identical. This is the latter”

thepodge
    Free Member

Ah right, like I say, not had chance to read my copy yet.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Didn’t mean for that to sound quite as picky podge. Sorry!

thepodge
    Free Member

Don’t worry, it didn’t.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Would never have considered it for a climb though.

They probably weren’t climbing it. Descended to photo point, rider carries on before turning around and riding into shot.

Rider looks suitably epic riding up a mountain climb without breaking into a sweat; CTC members that hate descending but consider climbing a true rite of passage are happy; article on RoWs covered. All boxes ticked.

Magic of photography innit. 😉

justinbieber

The descent off Birkside is great. Really, really great. Wouldn’t bother with it as a climb though – you’ll be carrying for more than half of it and there are much better ways to climb Helvellyn.

chakaping
    Free Member

What are people’s thoughts on the accompanying feature?

Basically it’s C-UK setting out its stall on access.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cycling UK: Latest "Cycle" magazine. Where's the location of the cover shot?’ is closed to new replies.