Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cycling to Work – What benefits?
  • Lesanita2
    Free Member

I’ve been asked this question at work. Is there any official words on it? I know jobs get done way quicker when you share a hobby with someone (like cycling) and I’m up for work by the time I get to work and have loads of energy (which ticks some people off). I’m generally happier, more positive etc.

Any research out there? to save me making it up and sounding convincing. It could get our bosses to justify funding for better cycle facilities and to be more bike friendly.

TiRed

GlaxoSmithKline’s award winning scheme is here. Their final comment is that “it makes good business sense”.

qwerty
    Free Member

It is therapy for the mind, body & soul.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    steezysix
    Free Member

You could say to your boss, “look at all these chubsters waddling around the office – are they all on the company healthplan? Does it cover diabetes/heart disease?” That should motivate them… 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not sure if it would be relavent to your workplace or not, but have a look at middlesborough cycle center, basicly you cycle there, lock your bike up, have a shower etc, then walk to work. If you’re in a town center then maybe suggest your bosses (allong with managers of other companies they play golf with) lobby the council for something similar, saves having showers/bike racks etc at every office and costs them little/nothing.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Hmm – I feel a video coming on!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDb13ttHfGI[/video]

This was shown on Sky News. No kidding : )

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Try cyclescheme site had some carbon and health stuff on there (seems down at the minute)

They have done the homework really.

Also look at Number of allocated parking spaces vs employee numbers, car share etc to bundle measures together.

If your pushing for cycle to work make sure it’s he one that includes LBS’s as that is a great benefit for local economy/pr

For the other side….

Perceived greater risk to employees (real or not), how bike friendly is the surrounding area.

How many employees live within 2,5,10 miles of work. How many currently cycle/would cycle. Suggest organising a company survey to gauge interest/define the size/scope of any work. PITA if you double the cyclists but only have facilities for a 25% increase.

Finally – Don’t let them near this place!

brakes
    Free Member

Cost savings on benefits programs.
    In many of the world’s economies, medical and health costs are increasing well above inflation. As such social security healthcare coverage is decreasing and putting pressure on companies to increase their supplemental healthcare provision. This obviously increases company costs and as such there has been an increase lately in ‘wellness’ programs in organisations to reduce their own burden. This ranges from advice and guidance for employees on how to look after themselves to the increase of premiums for the company sponsored healthcare program for employees who are smokers. Cycling is an easy win for companies as the costs are borne by the employee but the potential benefits apart from healthier, more alert, more productive employees are a reduction in their expenditure on ‘use’ of company medical insurance programs.

jmason
    Free Member

If you live in Britain you get 2 showers for free every day.

davidjohn
    Free Member

I’ve only been riding to work the last few months since they took staff parking away.. I work at a big local hospital and I’m loving it.. The best part is no parking costs and I can park right near an enterence door.. I use my old beach cruiser and lock it under an outside stairwell.. Should have been doing this years ago.. 😀

DJ

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cycling to Work – What benefits?’ is closed to new replies.