Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Cycling to work, but no shower!
  • handyman153
    Free Member

Morning All.

I cycled to my new office for the first time this morning. All was fantastic, but I don’t have a shower upon arrival anymore.
    This morning I went with the baby wipe and deodorant option, and I still feel weirdly sticky.

What do you guys do, or use?

I have considered the cheap gym option purely the showers. But its still 2-3 miles away from the office.

Cheers!

wwaswas

Giant wet wipe?

http://metro.co.uk/2015/04/20/the-big-big-body-wipe-is-the-only-way-to-keep-it-clean-this-festival-season-5157916/

probably get better cleaning than with a small one but there may still be that residue unless you really towel off.

Make sure you cool right down before you use wet wipes as they don’t cool your body like a shower so you just end up sweating again and feel sticky.

Ben_H

Sounds gross, but I don’t shower on arrival (although I think there is one on-site). I have a 7-mile trip each way.

stumpy01

Don’t some baby wipes have some kind of soap/detergent in them, which is probably why you feel a bit sticky still.

Try water wipes, which are almost entirely water:

http://www.boots.com/en/WaterWipes-Baby-Wipes-Chemical-Free-Sensitive-60-wipes-_1319738/

Or a cheaper equivalent…

http://www.boots.com/en/Huggies-Pure-Single-Wipes-64-Pack-Wipes_1055519/?cm_mmc=bmm-_-google-_-PLAs-_-Boots%20Shopping%20-%20Category%20-%20Baby

whitestone
    Free Member

Ride in steadily (no trying to beat Strava times) and ease up about five to ten minutes riding time before the office to allow you to begin cooling down.

Once at the office wait until you’ve cooled down before changing. Then it’s basically towel, wet-wipes and deodorant.

phil40
    Free Member

I don’t have showers at work, I use that muc off dry shower stuff (not brilliant and you smell of coconut) and baby wipes! I second the advice above of not racing in, and easing off in the last 5-10mins!

prawny

As above take it easy and be aware of stinks (I use mitcham anti persperant and baby wipes, no complains from the office so far). I have a 20 miler each way and no shower.

adsh
    Free Member

Did a 50mile round trip commute in an office without showers. Old enough to remember how to give myself a flannel bath with a tupperware of water, a bar of soap, a flannel and a towel. Disabled loo has space for this.

oldtalent
    Free Member

I ride an ebike, so I dont get sweaty.

ads678

Special areas wash if you can get in a separate toilet with a sink.

senorj

I’ve done 27 miles on the way in. No shower today, there’s only me in .
    I’ve had a good “wesh”. Face, neck ,under arms & spray of deodorant.

aether531
    Free Member

I don’t shower on arrival either. I have a shower just before I leave and that way I figure the sweat will be a bit cleaner?! So I suppose either my colleagues are being polite, or it seems to work.

sandwicheater

Similar boat. 13 miles each way. I take it easy the last 2 miles and give myself an extra 15 minutes to chill. Sink wash face and neck. Then swear as I’ve normally forgotten my pants.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Muc Off dry shower and deodorant works for me.

riklegge

Then swear as I’ve normally forgotten my pants

Totally made me think of Father Ted / Pat Mustard:
    “Teresa, I’ve forgotten me **** trousers!”

riklegge

Really? A swear filter on the f word? It’s not even the BAD f word?!

sandwicheater

^^ Yep, sat in my office a couple of weeks a go in shirt and bib shorts. I’m in a customer facing role. I looked a pillock.

bigdaddy

I do a 25 mile ride in, racing Strava all the way, with no shower at the end. Just need time to cool off, a sink and soap to wash down with and towel and deodorant. I’ve done this for 20 years in different jobs – a shower is just a luxury, not necessary until you get home!

orangespyderman

I’ll second these. I used to marshal at Le Mans 24h and used these to wipe down if I didn’t have time for a shower (sometimes have to make a call between getting a bit more sleep and washing properly 😕 ). They’re very good and don’t leave any residue and don’t smell of baby wipes really.

scaredypants

what are the odds of getting a shower put in ?

I’d take a flannel & towel and wash in the bog sink – if you’re campaigning for a shower, make sure to splatter floor & walls liberally with water

zilog6128

Fresh sweat doesn’t smell. Just shower in the morning or night before to wash off all the stinky bacteria and towel off after your ride in (after you’ve cooled down).

atlaz
    Free Member

Dry shower gel. Wet wipes. Deodorant.

We just moved offices. We now have a shower though.

benp1

If I had to go without a shower I’d obviously have to deal with that

But I’m lucky to have a full changing room (in house gym, free towels) and so it isn’t a problem

I’m a sweaty monster so would struggle to do a long ride without needing a shower

Took the tube in part way today so cycled 4 miles in on the clown bike in normal clothes. But the tube means I avoid the hill!

mahalo

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Smash it and stink, wear it as a badge of honour

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I don’t think the need for a shower after a ride to work is as pressing as people sometimes make out. I reckon if you’re generally clean and get changed on arrival then it’s all good, for most people’s commutes*. I’m pretty sure I don’t hum any more than the next guy, or at least nobody’s told me so over the last 20 odd years!

*I did do almost 30 miles in to work once a week for a while and I would shower after that.

damascus
    Free Member

Double post

damascus
    Free Member

I leave an emergency pair of trousers in my locker just in case I forget my trousers.

They are probably wrinkly and a bit foisty now but better than sitting in bib shorts in the office. Lol

I shower in a morning before setting off for work. I live at the top of a hill. Its a 1000 ft, 4 mile roll to work. I have to pedal but I take it easy.

It’s a slog on the way home.

whitestone
    Free Member

I think he’s referring to the period of cooling down before changing not sitting in your cycling kit all day. If you are in a customer facing job then it might be a bit of a problem 😆

LeeW
    howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Never had a shower at work in all my years of cycle commuting . In the summer I’d just change t shirt on arrival, wash my face and that’s it really

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If it’s flat or downhill for the last bit to the office, ride a singlespeed, I find it almost impossible to work up a sweat with MTB singlespeed gearing.

grenosteve
    Free Member

thestabiliser – Member

Smash it and stink, wear it as a badge of honour

😀 😀

Correct answer.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Cycling to work, but no shower!’ is closed to new replies.