• This topic has 46 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by doh.
Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Cycling the West Highland Way
  • chugg08

Did it S to N in 2009 over 2 days on a glorious weekend at the end of May. Had ideal weather, was fit and rode a relatively light full suspension bike (Cannondale Prophet). It was enjoyable but hard and I wouldn’t want to it in 1 day in crap weather.

There are plenty of escape routes to villages, pubs and hotels all along the route but go prepared. There is no access to bike repairs so make sure you take spares and tools (and know how to use them).

If I was to do it again I’d forget the lower half and just start at Tyndrum. Proteus is bang on in pt 2 – the carry up the side of Loch Lomond is not worth the hassle.

I’ve read on other forums about people who have rode up the Devils Staircase, don’t believe them. IMHO unless you’re a pro (and able to hop large drainage ditches) you won’t manage it.

After a good 70+ miles of riding, don’t underestimate the cycle from Kinlochleven to Ft Bill. It looks easy on a map but I remember it taking a good 3+ hours.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Do fancy giving it a go in a day from N to S. Reason for that direction is simple, live a couple of hundred yards from the southern startpoint, so would be cycling home from FW. Have walked it all, done the Caledonia Challenge twice and ridden fair chunks of it. What puts me off is the Bhien Glas to Inversnaid section, and not sure it is worth doing it, but don’t think ferry times would fit in with a 5.30am start from FW. Will think about it over the winter and “may” attempt next June.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You have a section of carrying for about 10 – 15 miles

Nowhere near 10-15 miles.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The comments about the descent from the top of the staircase into KLL are a bit wide of the mark IMHO, it’s a really good descent until you hit the waterpipe for the blackwater dam. Wide, rocky, plenty of line choices and drops.

seosamh77
    Free Member

until you hit the water pipe, aye, it is great, but when you do it’s a bit of a downer, i think devils staircase would be a better descent.

kennyp
    Free Member

Why not start at Crianlarich (there’s a train station) and continue on past Fort William up the Great Glen Way to Inverness?

doh
    Free Member

a lot of people don’t rate it but i like most of the WHW and have done it as a whole and as single sections over the years, all weather with no map reading needed and well spaced rest stops.
    i would say S->N. although you lose a lot of “gnar” by climbing/pushing devils staircase and the path out of kinlochleven you gain mostly longer faster smoother desents. and you end up in the highlands not in milngavie.

unless you really want to say you have done the full thing i would start in crainlarich as the previous 50miles are not worth it for the hard work along a lot of lomond and the boring farmtracks leading to it.

unless you are super fit the 50miles from crainlarich to FW would be tough for most in a day never mind the full 100.

if you have 3 days free (40-50miles a day)i would suggest the cairngorm circuit instead, not as tough and still very good.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Cycling the West Highland Way’ is closed to new replies.