Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cycling sunglasses recommendation.
  • mooman
    Free Member

I am after a new set of road cycling sunglasses. I have looked at the new Oakley range: the Jawbreaker’s look too big; I have seen a few people wearing them recently, and they look like DH goggles, and a bit too silly in a desperate fashion statement way. So was thinking Radar EV Paths, but also a little concerned that they too may be a little big.
    Other set I been looking at is Salice 006.
    Any other sets I should be looking at?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If not Oakley, but Tifosi. Excellent value for money.

I use Radar EV, with Prizm lenses for road and trail. And clear for really bad weather.

Oakley are just better in my experience. Tifosi are a really good budget choice.

peteimpreza

Rudy Project Rydon , lovely Italian styling with plenty of frame and lens choices .

mooman
    Free Member

Yes – looking at Rudy range too. Good call.

Oakley Prizm lenses – I am looking at the photochromic lenses. I read the Prizm lenses are for shaded rides? Where as the photochromic seems ideal for any ride … Dark/bright?
    Any thoughts??

cloudnine
    Free Member

Have a few pairs of dirty dogs which are pretty good quality but not so expensive to worry about getting covered in mud or breaking..

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I used to have the oakley jawbone photochromic glasses. They were excellent in all conditions with unbeatable clarity.

I sold them for a number of reasons, the main one being that I just felt like a bit of a tool riding around with £250 glasses on (I didn’t pay that much but it was more than I ought to have). I found that they still steamed up although they had vented lenses. They were only good for the bike as you look a bit like Heston Blumenthall when the sun goes in. I really didn’t want to leave them somewhere or sit on them by accident as I would never have been able to afford replace them.

I now have some Tifosi Dolomites that cost around 22 pounds. The venting is about the same as the Oakleys and the clarity is not as good but they came with three sets of lenses which all work well for various conditions. Generally I’d say they’re better value than the oakleys but if high end is what you’re after and they’re only for the bike then I’d have to say the oakley photochromics are very good indeed.

lerk
    Free Member

I’ve just plumped for a pair of these…

With photochromic lenses as my only pair of specs (ok so I have safety specs for work, but these will do everything else)

I’m incredibly careful with them at the minute, but they function well on both MTB and Road rides.

onandon
    Free Member

Oakley have a new range of shooting glasses which are apparently awesome as cycling glasses. I can’t remember the name but a quick google with give you the info.
    Edit- they’re called TOMBSTONE.

I intend these to be my next glasses when my specialized ones finally give up. ( why did specialized stop making glasses? They were the best )

beej

I have Jawbreakers. They are too big and look ridiculous. However… best (road) cycling glasses I’ve had, and I’ve got half jackets, flak jackets and fast jackets. Transition lenses (as are the fast jackets).

Loads of protection from wind/rain/whatever, barely know I’m wearing them and I’ve not had them fog up yet despite some rides in nasty weather. Fine in full sun through to total darkness.

They’re not a fashion statement, they’re a practicality statement. I know I look dumb in them, but they work really, really well.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have a few pairs of Oakleys and cycle in some Oakley Radar Path’s with photochromic lenses. The best thing I can say about the photochromic lenses is that I just don’t notice them doing anything. At first I didn’t think they were working but you can test them by covering one eye. They are not the best in really bright light but still better than no sunglasses and the trade-off is well worth it in situations where you may be riding in and out of woods or general areas of sun to shade. I like the practical style for on the bike but wouldn’t be seen dead in them off the bike.
    Whilst they are not the cheapest for me they work out the cheapest. I look after my Oakleys unlike cheaper glasses I have bought and don’t care about. I still have all 6 pairs I have ever bought in good condition and they still all get worn.

mooman
    Free Member

I recently tried a set of Jawbreakers on with orange prizm lenses, and the clarity was superb. But some of the Jawbreaker reviews have not been so great – not the greatest for looking whats behind I read. Coupled with even those who have a set admitting they look ridiculous in them too.

Those Oakley Tombstones look pretty good.

Thanks all for suggestions/reviews.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Like my evil eyes from addidas

dantsw13

Bolle contours – officially safety eyewear (so shatterproof and kite marked) but for under £10 a pop, in a variety of shades, I order a few pairs every couple of months for all my sunglass needs (airline pilot so constantly wear shades, and break/lose them far too frequently to buy expensive ones.)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cycling sunglasses recommendation.’ is closed to new replies.