Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cycling routes in London
  • rossrobot
    Free Member

Moving to North London (N8) later this year after nine years in Brighton. Discovered Capital Ring over the weekend and wondered if anyone could suggest similar routes in and around London?

I’ve got a cross, a hardtail and a pub/hack bike so can tackle most things. Picturesque routes that I can take the girlfriend on would be amazing to hear about.

thanks

jfeb
    Free Member

Routes in London tend to be limited to canal and Thames towpaths and Richmond Park, IME. Generally the advise is to head out.

dknwhy

Cycle streets app and website could be your friend. I wanted to go to the Excel recently and by selecting the “quietest route” option, it found me a peachy ride with the majority through parkland. There’s an option to export the route to .gpx so you can put it straight onto a garmin etc or if you prefer and have a smartphone, you can use the app as a gps.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    senorj

Get a decent map – I’m in N2 -I also tend to head North out of the smoke itself ,but there are loads of options.Yesterday I went to Trent Park via Hadley woods ,back through Bounds Green to Ally Pally ,mainly off road on the cx.
    You can create a picturesque route using the Lea valley canal all the way to Hertford if you fancy.(which opens a whole new world of fun!).
    Also look for Epping & Broxbourne.
    The Capital ring is ok – but lots of stiles to climb over between M1 & A1.(Look out for the doggers at scratchwood if you go there!).

eshershore
    Free Member

1 Mile from my house in NW1

plumber
    Free Member

You can create a picturesque route using the Lea valley canal all the way to Hertford if you fancy.(which opens a whole new world of fun!).
    Also look for Epping & Broxbourne.

This is my local area and it is quite good considering how close you are to central London

Depending what sort of riding you want to do – I picked up a copy of this in the local tescos for £2 and though not particularly tough routes I found them really pleasant little rides and perfect for girlfriend/pub kinda riding

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycling-London-AA-Publishing/dp/0749572485/ref=pd_sim_b_1

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Routes in London tend to be limited to canal and Thames towpaths and Richmond Park, IME. Generally the advise is to head out.

True.

But in the spirit of trying to make the best of what you got you can put together a bit of a fitness ride largely without traffic if you combine the Thames heading west from Hammersmith to kew, across the bridge, then short road stretch to Brentford, then grand Union from Brentford to just past Southall, then Paddington arm of the grand union back into town which brings you back to within a couple of miles of where you started. If you add in a little climb up Horsenden hill (nr Perivale) it can feel like a pleasant enough ride. Not sure exactly what the distance is but I’d guess that it’s around 25 miles altogether.

Going East, senor j’s suggestion is good.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Riding around Richmond park looks a right old pain. The volume of cars, bikes, runners and walkers on the weekend was quite surprising. Made me glad to be living in the (relative) sticks.

tobymc

From Tower bridge you can head to Greenwich, through the foot tunnel and onward on the south side to gravesend. A towpath, but with a bit of post-industrial hinterland thrown in to keep it entertaining! A quick blast around the cyclopark, pint than ferry back to the north side, train back to barking and thence civilisation.
    EDIT – best on a cx.

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Get the overground to Leyton or cycle to the top of Lea Bridge Road. From there you can follow the reservoirs up to epping, its a nice ride before you even get to the forest propper.

rossrobot
    Free Member

Brilliant – thanks all. I suspected the cx would come in handy for city riding.

plumber
    Free Member

I suspected the cx would come in handy for city riding.

yes, I have found this very true – set of landcruisers and you’re good to go

enfht
    Free Member

Lea Valley canals, Trent Park, Whitewebbs, Hadley Woods, Epping, Broxbourne etc.

Lots of fun to be had.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’d recommend Epping Forest, not too far away and you can ride all day.

There’s a big mixed group that goes from the car park in Bury Road, Chingford every Saturday at 11.00 am.

They know the forest really well and are a fun group to ride with.

Drop me a mail when you move down or check out MBR035.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cycling routes in London’ is closed to new replies.