Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Cycling rituals. Am I strange?
  • Harry_the_Spider

I noticed yesterday whilst grovelling up a long climb on the road bike that if one knee brushes against the top tube [u]I HAVE TO[/i][/u] brush the other knee against it.

This only happens on long straight drags where I don’t have to think about steering or ‘owt else.

Anyone else do anythig like this?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nope I’m too busy suffering.

The only ritual I have is embro, I love rubbing the stuff into my legs and then putting on Lycra, then standing upright as the smell slowly wafts towards my nose..

And yes, you are strange.

But don’t worry.

😆

Spin
    Free Member

You are not alone I do that too.

TooTall
    Free Member

First signs of OCD. You are well on your way to being unable to walk on the cracks in the pavement and appearing on a show about obsessive hoarders. Enjoy the journey.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I find myself humming the theme to junior kickstart to myself when it all gets a bit technical – I think it has become some weird mantra to calm my nerves

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve got wonky legs, so my right knee passes within half an inch of the top tube, while my left knee is a couple of inches clear. If I had to even up the accidental brushes I’d never get anywhere.

fasthaggis

When I see another cyclist out on the road ,a little voice inside my head says ” Target acquired “.

I also count 1 – 8 on the last hill to my house.

Never out loud though,that would be nuts 🙂

jamj1974

When I ride best on technical stuff I always have a song going through my head…

onehundredthidiot

On fast techy mtb trails, especially if in a group, Gerry halliwell’s “scream if you wanna go faster ” loops in my mind, thankfully it’s being sung by lemmy (from motorhead).

knightrider
    Free Member

on downhills when it gets a bit sketchy, I hear “stay on target, stay on target” line from star wars as they are attacking the death star, only problem is that I then think of the next part where the fighter explodes in a ball of flames 😯

scaredypants

When I see another cyclist out on the road ,a little voice inside my head says ” Target acquired “.

I have a couple of mates I ride with who think that so hard that I can hear it 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Start of a dh race run I tap my lid 3 times. Came from my climbing days

maccruiskeen

I find myself humming the theme to junior kickstart to myself when it all gets a bit technical

I get the theme tune to Garden Force in my head on long steady climbs – like all the way up Mont Ventoux. Weirdly at any other moment – such are right now – I can’t even guess how the tune goes. But at the foot of any climb that you know is going to cost you a packet of Jelly Babies the tune re-emerges from my deep subconscious.

fizzicist
    Free Member

when it gets a bit sketchy, I hear “stay on target, stay on target” line from star wars as they are attacking the death star

I get this too! I also get the chorus from ‘Slip sliding away’ by Simon and Garfunkel in really gloopy shite.

racefaceec90

i give my bike a friendly pat as i set off.

i also wave at animals in fields as i cycle past 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Slip sliding away and Get a move on by Mr Scruff were my brains 24hr solo theme tunes. **** hate both songs now. I also get the stay on target thing too.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I noticed yesterday whilst grovelling up a long climb on the road bike that if one knee brushes against the top tube I HAVE TO brush the other knee against it.

This only happens on long straight drags where I don’t have to think about steering or ‘owt else.

Yes. You are strange. And it is nothing to do with all that preamble ^

mattk
    Free Member

“stay on target, stay on target”

Classic, this is bound to pop into my head now!

nickc

Cycling in ruts: Elvis’ “Suspicious minds” pops into my head, starting at the “I’m caught in a trap, I can’t walk out” line, this is also my long distance cycling song…apologies if you’ve had to hear it on a 24 hr or whatever…

unclip left foot first.

flick front brake twice before setting off

bob_summers

Cutting stalks off bananas. I used to do it just for the particularly woody stalks to stop them jabbing me in the back, but now can’t not do it.

Basil

Doctor

khani
    Free Member

You’re all mayd…

labsey
    Free Member

Whenever I hit the apex of a turn, I always (inside my head) shout ‘racing line’! No clue why.

Harry_the_Spider

flick front brake twice before setting off

Ha!

I always tap the top of my helmet twice after I’ve put it on.

milky1980
    Free Member

Whenever I see a squirrel, I say “SQUIRREL!!” out loud and in my head I become the dog out of Up!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSUXXzN26zg[/video]

Sometimes even do the head movement 😳

I’m also very particular about the tool layout in my Camelbak, no reason why just find myself automatically tutting myself if I put the multi-tool in the pocket where the tyre lever and chain too usually live 😆

jojoA1
    Free Member

Lapped race song is always “let’s go round again” as sung by Take That. Gets a bit wearing after 24 hours.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i whistle on technical trails, unfortunately it sometimes comes across a little rude to anyone in front of me.

wallop

I whistle “Ring of Fire” a lot.

shooterman

On climbs I count the pedal turns.

On my local trail I always stop at the top of the same climb and wee in the same spot!

ononeorange

Suspicious minds in technical bits – yep.

Cadence to match whatever song is playing in my head on climbs

Being utterly convinced my front wheel is going to fall out as soon as it gets steep downhill – every time.

And I NEVER walk on the cracks in pavements! Do you think I’m mad?!

Bez

The first mouthful I take from a Camelbak is always spat out.

joespencer33
    Free Member

Spinning up long climbs I say the days of the week over and over- it helps block out the pain 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

I greet the passing fauna.

I can’t help it…”Morning sheepie!”, “Hello Jeremy!” (all horses are known as Jeremy btw), “Hello Deer!”.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Hello Mr Magpie.

xcgb
    Free Member

The Magpie thing really baffles me, so many people I know salute and say some kind of mantra, I feel kinda left out!

xcgb
    Free Member

No one in my cycling group has ever crashed riding downhill whilst singing Hey Hey we’re the Monkeys, it just seems to work as a relaxation device, I do it a lot!

martinhutch

I do the ‘target acquired’ thing when I see the summit of whatever hill I’m heading for in the distance.

If it’s a long steady climb, I get the bass riff from ‘My Sharona’ going around my brain. Actually quite a nice climbing rhythm…

Oh, I forgot this one when I’m about to put the power down for a steeper bit…

Engage!

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Fast road descents always accompanied by the theme from the 80’s arcade game “Outrun”.

(yes, that’s the italian version. just thoguht it looked nice)

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Cycling rituals. Am I strange?’ is closed to new replies.