Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • cycling on A5 , London to Dublin
  • jacksonwwirl
    Free Member

Maybe this is the wrong forum but I’m planning to cross London to Dublin off the bike it list in 2016.What would the A5 be like to cycle? Does anyone have first hand real life experience to share please?

Klunk
    Free Member

I don’t think I would, but I’m a bit of a woose these days. Have a look on street view it can be quite narrow in places for a busy route.

mrmo
    Free Member

only from driving the telford to llangollen bit, although i have ridden the llangollen to chirk bit, f***ing horrible. would be a reasonable description. Your on a main road heading to a ferry terminal. I am not saying it is dangerous, it is a reasonably wide road for much of the way, certainly not all! , just horrible and unpleasant.

nasher
    Free Member

I avoid the A5 in wales, never mind anywhere else!!! Its changed a lot since roman times..

My advice would be to do the minor roads along the A5 if you must follow its course

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d choose a better route if I’m honest.

It really is a very busy road, not just cars speeding along, but huge trucks. It’s a good destination to destination road, but it really is busy. It’s not like your normal A Road, it’s more like a single “dual carriageway” what with the sheer amount of traffic and nature of traffic.

I wouldn’t do it.

ThePinkster

I don’t even like driving it, would never consider cycling it. Way too many big trucks and variable road widths along the way, and once you get into the bumpier bits of Wales some of the drivers can get a bit impatient when stuck behind a cyclist.

pedlad

I’d avoid anything designated as a trunk road. Did le jog and best bits were always off these roads on the small a and b roads

project
    Free Member

From chirk to corwen its quite ok, cycled it many times,althought there have been a spate of deaths round corwwen in last month, from there it winds round and then eventuallyreaches anglesey, and dual carigeway.

Why not try a sustrans route, route 5 goes from Chester to Holyhead, and there sure to be other routes to link into it, also have a look at http://WWW.SUSTRANS.ORG for route maps

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘cycling on A5 , London to Dublin’ is closed to new replies.