Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cycling laws in France and Belgium???
  • smurfly13
    Free Member

Off to France and Belgium cycling soon for 3 days and someone mentioned you have to wear hi viz and have reflectors or they fine your sorry ass….. Anyone know what the score is?

steezysix
    Free Member

Not sure on the laws, but I’ve cycled quite a bit in Belgium and didn’t have either of those, just good lights on my bike. I know Germany’s a lot more strict, but unless you’re riding at night it’s unlikely anyone’s going to stop you.

oliverracing

pretty sure that’s for night time only

Bez

EN471 certified gilet/jacket is a legal requirement in France outside of urban areas at night or in low visibility. I’ve got one so haven’t tested how strictly it’s enforced. Not sure about Beljum.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, will be taking lights but will grab a cheap proper hi viz lightweight gilet just in case!!

tonyg2003

In Belgium if there is a cycling path you have to ride on it not the road. Fortunately the cycling paths are excellent over there.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above, you can grab them cheap in supermarkets (they are required in cars too in case you breakdown) would also suggest you pick up a couple of breathalyzers (£1 each) as the french will make these compulsory sometime soon.

Sundayjumper

And IIRC the definition of “low visibility” is entirely on the whim of the officer who stops you. I’m sure I’ve heard of motorists getting stopped for speeding – I think speed limits are reduced in “low visibility” – and a tiny bit of passing drizzle being sufficient excuse.

Mackem

The breathalizer thing has been ditched.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think speed limits are reduced in “low visibility” – and a tiny bit of passing drizzle being sufficient excuse.

On the Autoroutes its reduced from 130 to 110 when its raining, drizzle is rain. FWIW and AFAIK the speed cameras don’t automatically adjust.

The breathalizer thing has been ditched.

I think it’s been delayed yes but likely to come in later. So for £1 each seems worth buying them cheap in France.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cycling laws in France and Belgium???’ is closed to new replies.