Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cycling Knee Pain – Run Instead?
  • Ladders
    Free Member

Hi!

Couple of weeks ago I strained my knee while riding a couple of the Classics routes in Belgium on my road bike. It went from being fine to really hurting towards the end of the ride and I struggled to get back.

Looking at a knee muscle diagram it looks like it could be the vastus medialis muscle, as the pain is on the inside of my knee, just by the kneecap. Since then I’ve not ridden for two and a half weeks to try a give it a rest. Except for riding to work a week after (12miles), which started fine except for at the end when the pain came back. I then tried riding back from work again yesterday, a week after the last ride, and it felt ok until right at the end when I hurt a little bit. So I’m presuming it is getting better, but still needs rest?

I’m starting to get a bit fed up though of not being able to ride my bike, and because it doesn’t hurt at all when I walk or when I ran a bit the other day I was wondering if doing some proper running would be a good idea or not?

If it is, considering I don’t do running, how far should I start of with and how often? I just want to keep my fitness up while I’m off the bike!

Cheers!

JoB
    Free Member

i’d go and see a professional rather than rely on looking at pictures and random ‘knowledge’ from strangers off the internet

NZCol

No go and see a good physio to get some exercises to sort your muscle imbalance out. Get a foam roller and stretch as well.

molgrips
    Free Member

Get your bike fit sorted out. Running is famous for knackering knees, cycling is famous for not knackering them.

Ladders
    Free Member

Ok, so running might not be a good idea then!

I’ve been using anti-inflamatory cream which seems to help, but can’t seem to find a position that actually stretches that muscle!

cp

As above, see a physio, give it as much rest as possible (I have a calf/shin issue which so far has taken 14 months and still isn’t right, but I didn’t rest enough in the early days).

Definitely do not consider running any more!!

Maybe swimming?

ahwiles
    Free Member

the pain is on the inside of my knee, just by the kneecap

i get this if i push big gears whilst sitting down, i’m only a skinny chap with scrawny legs.

spinning easier gears, or standing up more seems to prevent it.

running doesn’t bother my knees as much* – maybe just me though…

(* i sometimes get a niggle beside my kneecap after an hour or so – but i’ve been running regular like, and it hasn’t bothered me in months, not since ‘early season’…)

Ladders
    Free Member

i get this if i push big gears whilst sitting down, i’m only a skinny chap with scrawny legs.

spinning easier gears, or standing up more seems to prevent it.

Yes think that’s what caused it in the first place, being tired, cold, and pushing big gears up climbs as I usually do. Never had and injuries like this before so it’s pretty frustrating!

matt_bl
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Get your bike fit sorted out. Running is famous for knackering knees, cycling is famous for not knackering them.

Molgrips, is there any hard evidence for this? I have not managed to find any reputable papers, but would be keen to read some.

Thanks
    Matt

seanoc
    Free Member

OP

In 2010 year I was averaging between 400-450 miles per week on the bike before I started developing knee issues. My issues worsened substantially to the point that walking was uncomfortable and I was unable to ride for more than a mile or so before experiencing significant pain.

I spent (maybe wasted) a fortune of professional help; it helped but I’m still unable to do the mileage that I used to do without discomfort (I’ve been through bike fits, varus wedges, orthotics, etc).

Now, running is a different matter. because the knee doesn’t go through quite the same range of motion I’m happy to do 5 hour+ runs without a single grumble. I’ve even taken to the odd fell race and ultra….. and don’t do too shabby at them either.

So to give an off the cuff comment like “Running is famous for knackering knees, cycling is famous for not knackering them” is a bit nonsensical without considering first your particular issues.

Why not give it ago; what’s the worst that can happen from a 5k run?

Ladders
    Free Member

Thanks Sean(?)

Hope you get your knee sorted so you can get riding again!

seanoc
    Free Member

Oh, I’m back on the bike every now and then but my flirt with running has led me away. No helmet, no gears to fiddle, nothing to oil, nothing to polish, nothing to show off to your pals, no faff, no pretence, no fat chaps getting phatter air, just a pair (okay, about eight pairs) of trainers, and off you sweat.

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips, is there any hard evidence for this? I have not managed to find any reputable papers, but would be keen to read some.

What is this, a scientific journal?

Anecdotally, I have heard far more stories about bad knees from running than cycling. It was however a facetious comment; I presume knee pain from cycling and running could come from different routes, so whatever is bothering you on the bike might not running. But then again it might.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cycling Knee Pain – Run Instead?’ is closed to new replies.