Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cycling Jeans
  • captaindanger

Fed up of deforming and wearing out my jeans, I’m thinking of getting some cycling jeans. There seem to be quite a few out there, Levi’s, Swrve, Rapha, Muxu… I’ll be riding into work and wearing them all day so don’t want anything too oddly shaped. Anyone got any experience of any of them?

wwaswas

A sisters wardrobe is the traditional place to look 😉

jota180
    Free Member

A sisters wardrobe is the traditional place to look

😕

dizcostix
    Free Member

i’ve got some oakley ones -from a couple of years ago – similar to these:

http://www.ten-eighty.co.uk/store/Oakley_Overpass_Denim_Jean.html

Pretty good as they’ve got a little water resistance and stretch built in, and are seamless in the saddle area.

captaindanger

no girls jeans for me thanks! where do your bits go?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve got two pairs of Rapha Jeans and I like them. At first I thought them to be a little heavy denim a teeny bit stiff and a close fit. They’re not skinny in the traditional sense, but I would call them close to tight fit. Its hard to describe the size to anyone on here without giving the wrong impression though. I’m a waist 30 or 32 and 32leg and like close fitting clothes. Now they have worn in a bit, certainly one pair are best part of 12mths old now and they have lost a little of their pristine denim colour and have faded nicely, like jeans should. The newer pair are still pristine and alternating from one pair to the other does indeed feel different. They’re stretchy in a “give” kinda way, easy enough to ride out in and potter/commute but anything longer than a scoot around town and they do feel like you have Jeans on and when I push on a bit they do get a bit hot. Obviously, as Rapha do, if you turn the right leg up (as a good bouy should) then it reveals the logo and high vis lettering, can’t say it’s made much difference to my life that, but it looks smart and is a typical thoughtful addition to the Jeans. Details on them are nice too, belt holders and stuff, pink details, you know the kinda thing.

I did try on Levis and it was just about the time I bought my second pair of Raphas, it was early on in Levis promotion and really I should have given them a little more time when trying them on, I didn’t and headed to Rapha again as a default.

Loads of other jeans out there, none that I have tried on so can’t help further,

I do tease a lot on here about wearing my sisters Jeans when in Town, I don’t actually do that but it seems fun to wind up some on here who hate trends like..init.

slowclimb
    Free Member

Other thing you can do once you get them is to use tech wash and spray on reproofer to give them a decent water resistant coating too. Wet jeans are not good so this will help avoid that.

zerocool

Tuck drive side trouser leg into sock like all the other normal people. Wash in some kind of tech wash/nikwax as said above

crazy-legs

Rapha jeans here as well, as mentioned above they’re a very “fitted” fit – not tight but certainly close.

Very comfortable, great for just pottering round town although they’re heavy enough that if you put in the effort, you get hot quickly. They’re reasonably water resistant and very quick drying though, much better than traditional jeans which stay wet forever.

It’s worth looking at the Rapha City Trousers if you’re going to be riding in warmer weather or Softshell Trousers for wet/cold weather.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The rapha ones, do they wear reasonably well? Last few pairs of jeans (all different makes) I’ve brought have all worn a hole on the inside of the thigh near the crotch, very annoying.

MrAgreeable

I’ve just got some swrve jeans and they seem really good. They’re a snug cut but stop short of making me look like a parsnip, nice touches like the reflective strip up the inside, usable pockets (the cut of the back pockets on swrve clothes is particularly clever as it means you can put stuff in them and still sit on a saddle). Seem to be tougher and quicker-drying than normal denim (they’ve got quite a high synthetic component I think, but not so much that they feel plasticky).

That said, my default riding to work attire is still 3/4 bike shorts, they’re nicer to ride in and dry out quicker after the inevitable drenching.

Hooter
    Free Member

I’ve got the Swrve jeans, they are good and comfy for cycling in, but IMHO don’t have a great cut off the bike, they’ve gone a bit baggy around the knees. For work purposes I also have the Levi’s jeans in black which are good, quite smart and (so far) water repelling, tho they are quite thick and would be too hot in summer. Tho not jeans, Howies Chada stretch chinos also work well for cycling and hanging around.

ads678

Normal jeans in rucksack or drawer at work, ride to work in shorts/other appropriate weather proof legwear, change into nice clean jeans at work. Bingo. 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Back onto Rapha for a second..

Wear, we’ll I wear mine on and off the bike. Wear wise I haven’t noticed any wear patches appearing yet, not on the new pair certainly, on the older pair I’ve a few scuff marks on the right leg where I’ve caught the chain a couple of times, but no, no crotch wear…yet.
    But I’ll keep practicing, depends on how many times I rub myself.
    Saddles I use are all fiziks cos they fit me, that means very little front to the saddle area and hence the reason I think the Jeans aren’t wearing around my very sexy ” mans area”

I’m still keen to try the Levi’s on, they look pretty good, and now Levi’s have a 508 out which might be worth checking out but they’re not cycling orientated Jeans.

orena45

Got a pair of Muxu jeans and love them. Really comfy with a nice bit of stretch for on and off the bike and some neat little features like an offset rear phone/mp3 pocket and reflective ‘X’ on the inside of the driveside leg which becomes visible when you roll the leg up.

Got mine a couple of months ago and ridden a fair few times to work and back in them and no issues so far. Not ridden them in the rain, as they’re still denim at the end of the day!

The general advice on these jeans is to get a waist size down from your normal sizing – was spot on for me as well. Got mine from Always Riding and they were really quick to deliver.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cycling Jeans’ is closed to new replies.