Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cycling jacket recommendations.
  • monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I want a waterproof/windproof long sleeved tight fitting jersey style jacket that also turns into a gillet, doesn’t leak through the zips and also regulates my body temperature perfectly so I don’t sweat like a complete mess and end up wet anyway, if it could also tickle the special place between my balls and arse and be reflective that’d be lovely too 😀

Seriously, any recommendations for a decent jacket that’ll pack down into a rear jersey pocket?

singletracksurfer

wow, I want one of them too, sounds awesome. waits in anticipation…

sputnik
    Free Member

Just wear a Gore Phantom, no need to stuff it anywhere then. Mine creates a micro climate inside, not too warm or cold. Sleeves zip off for Autumn / Spring duties and wear a base layer with it for winter .
    Proper wind proof and very breathable , water repellant for about an hour- more than enough.

FuzzyWuzzy

Wanting it packable severely restricts your options, personally I’d decide between a lightweight, packable, breathable shell for the odd shower/unexpected windchill/cafe stops or a softshell windproof jacket (with removable arms if you must, I rarely use mine on my Gore Phantom).

Kryton57

sputnik – Member
    Just wear a Gore Phantom, no need to stuff it anywhere then. Mine creates a micro climate inside, not too warm or cold. Sleeves zip off for Autumn / Spring duties and wear a base layer with it for winter .
    Proper wind proof and very breathable , water repellant for about an hour- more than enough

+1. I carry a Montane Velo in my camelback just in case it gets wet enough from me to bother to stop and put it on (btw I’m in the sunny SE 🙂 )

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anyone tried the on-one merinio jacket?

I’m torn between my northern tightness saying I want a cheep (well, £60) jacket/jersey that’s bearable, or slurging 3x that on something really good.

I’ve a RF Atlas one that’s OK, get’s a bit sweaty as it’s quite warm (as in slightly insulating, not lack of breathability) so mainly used in the winter when it’s cold and wet.

Have you thought about the newer winter jerseys that seem to be popular? Endura Jetstream (or for the super rich/cold, castelli gaba). My Endura’s pretty much the only jersey I wear Autumn through to Spring, add a baselayer in winter, and a gillet if it’s raining.

flyingmonkeycorps

Surface Pertex is on offer on SportPursuit. Not super fancy, but very cheap!

robbonzo
    Free Member

Thats quite a wishlist there but the Endura MTR emergency shell is worth a look. ticks most of those boxes.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Thanks all, yeah it’s quite a list, thought I’d go in full bore!

I want something that’ll fit in the jersey pocket for the road bike and the cold XC blasts. I’ve got a Gore N2S thing that is still going really strong but it could do with something over the top for the colder/wetter days, my thinking is the jacket could then also be used over the top of a jersey on the warmer wetter days,

My current jacket is a Pearl Izumi thing that’s ok but is letting in water now but also only has mesh on most of the back when the sleeves are removed, a day like yesterday ensures I get soaked!

alexdodd
    Free Member

Gore Phantom
    Endura Softshell Convert.

Both fairly equal, neither do everything you want, but probably as close as you’ll get…

khegs
    Free Member

@thisisnotaspoon

Yeah, I’ve had the older version of it for about 5 years, not sure how much has changed.

It is pretty waterproof, always seems warm enough, and it is comfy.
    Oh, and it is still going strong, maybe a little less waterproof than it was, but it has been used pretty much daily for my non-summer commutes

MikeWW
    Free Member

The Castelli Gabba jackets are fantastic. Close fit, waterproof, windproof and breathable.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cycling jacket recommendations.’ is closed to new replies.