• This topic has 24 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cycling is banned…
  • matt_outandabout

If you live in this housing associations patch…
    http://www.barkinganddagenhampost.co.uk/news/lilly_3_banned_from_learning_to_ride_bike_in_dagenham_street_1_2356587

I would presume that they do not allow thier employees to ride bikes to work, play football etc.

glupton1976
    Free Member

I’d like to see them try and enforce that.

bellefied
    Free Member

does the housing association own the road then? If not, is it legal to ban bikes from a public road?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Whats the bet that the person moaning on the estate is overweight and a burden to the NHS.

wwaswas

Whats the bet that the person moaning on the estate is overweight and a burden to the NHS.

you are Jamie Oliver and I claim my £5.

matt_outandabout

We can “speak” to them…
    @creatingplaces
    http://www.facebook.com/londonandquadrant

scotroutes

Critical Mass where are you?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Good to see the ‘Dagenham Facelift’ hairstyle is still alive and well

kimbers

scotroutes – Member
    Critical Mass where are you?

good call

jamiea
    Free Member

That’s her grandchild? Bugger me!

Cheers,
    Jamie

glupton1976
    Free Member

That looks like some decent housing for it being housing association. There appears to be at least one person ripping the arse right out of it too.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I feel quite sorry for the housing associations housing officer on this one…
    The ha has a short sighted policy whereby a rule probably intended to stop older kids causing a nuisance has been ceased upon by a grumpy busy body tennant who has complained (about all sorts)
    Now the poor housing officer has to enforce the rule and is probably a bit embarrassed by it!

The housing officer almost certainly is reacting to a complaint and hasn’t witnessed it themselves and decided to take this action…
    More the fault of a problem complainant than them.

nacho
    Free Member

I am stunned with incredulity (I think)
    What will they ban next?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Well, I’m going to leave a message on their facebook page. I think it’s revolting, that.

MSP

L&Q told the Post a “no balls or bikes” policy was introduced following complaints from residents who believed their homes and cars could be damaged by children playing outside.

It just shows how car-centric British culture has now become, cars are now more important than children being allowed to play.

matt_outandabout

^ that attitude to play is more prevalent than we think. We value our car paint above balanced human beings and a community that functions.

boxfish
    Free Member

One of the kids from next door crashed his bike into my car last year leaving a small dent and a few scratches. Once I’d established the lad was OK, I made sure his bike was undamaged. The car? It still works.

Obviously, it would be a different story if he touched my bikes 😀

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Shame they don’t seek to enforce correct (i.e. as per the Highway Code) parking on the estate. Reverse into space, forwards out.

matt_outandabout

Obviously, it would be a different story if he touched my bikes

😈

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

If people are worried about their cars getting damaged, that’s fair enough… they can have a say about that when they’re parked up on private land, e.g. their drive.

When it’s parked on public land, e.g. a road, then tough shit you take your chances.

IMO of course.

scotroutes

The street may be private land – owned by the HA.

highclimber
    Free Member

Good, It’s about time they banned children on bikes. Menace to society all these toddlers!

br
    Free Member

That’s her grandchild? Bugger me!

They’re in Essex…

scotroutes

Es-sexist!

sbob
    Free Member

I learnt to cycle at the local park, and wasn’t allowed on the roads until my parents deemed me proficient.

Nah, much better to absolve ourselves of all responsibility. Let’s leave it up to the strangers piloting 1.5 tonnes of steel to make sure nothing happens.

I’m not saying the cycling ban is a good idea, but teaching your kids to play in the road is only going to lead to an increased risk of them getting run over.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cycling is banned…’ is closed to new replies.