Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cycling in the South (White) Peak District – Any route reccomendations
  • rwc03
    Free Member

Could anyone recommend me a route to cycle in the White Peaks please?

Staying approx 10 miles East of Matlock in a month and would like to take myself off for the day.

Found this route:

http://www.peakcyclelinks.org.uk/route.html

But is it any good? Going on 100mm travel front and rear, so mainly XC stuff – looking at a 30-60 miles depending on terrain.

Thanks in advance

dknwhy

It’s nice in terms of scenery but the off road stuff is basically gravel tracks so good for fitness and distance but not technical.
    In-laws live up that way so I’ve ridden most of that route.
    If you want rocky stream like bridleways, head to the dark peak. In my experience, every trail in the Peak District goes up… 😆

Edit: not as long as you want but how about this

Eyam & Bakewell

danti

There’s the 5 Dales classic starting from Darley Bridge in the Vertebrate White Peak book which is a great circular ride about 30-35km that could be linked up with others in their book.

Although some of it is going to be very hard going due to the current conditions!

nbt

the white peak is mainly slippy limestone and incredibly sticky clay-like gloop at this time of the year. There’s some excellent riding but it really needs to be less wet – either baked dry or frozen solid. The route you chose seems to be mainly old railway lines and so on if you don’t mind spending a little then the v-graphics white peak books features some excellent routes and some very good looking models 😉

Brown
    Free Member

Ten miles east of Matlock? You shouldn’t be too far from Ashover. There’s a good hour or so’s worth of singletrack around there if you want a quick escape. It’s in the Vertebrate book again, although there’s an extra descent you should add to their route.

EDIT – Although it is, as NBT says, a little sticky there just now.

IHN

And some really munging ones.

rwc03
    Free Member

Lovely stuff, thanks a lot

You could spend all day riding some fantastic trails, all within 10 miles of Matlock, but yeah some are a bit claggy – unfortunately I don’t have any mapped though

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Black Rocks, Birch Woods, Lea Woods, Chrich Chase and Shining Cliff Woods.

This makes for a nice ride.

jekkyl

I’ve cycled a fair bit of parts of that loop and can agree with the above poster who said it’s all made up gravel tracks, old railway lines kinda thing, should be fine in this weather. The Tissington trail is mostly tarmac so best avoided and is favoured by families with little uns on bikes or in chariots but may be less so in january.

Bunnyhop

As said above the limestone can be very slippery in wet conditions.
    However there are some of the toughest descents, needing a good degree of skill in the White Peak, which many people overlook.
    Great riding around that neck of the woods when trails are dry or frozen.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cycling in the South (White) Peak District – Any route reccomendations’ is closed to new replies.