Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cycling in the Gard
  • aP
    Free Member

Thinking of doing some lightweight touring/ bikepacking in this region next June. Any recommendations/ experiences?
    we’re thinking of doing Millau east via the twiddly roads to Sant-Jean-du-Gard picking up Mont Aigoual (for some Tim Krabbe ‘De Renner’ points) and maybe a bit of RL Stephenson Donkey route.
    Returning via the Corniche de Ceveennes and Gorges du Tarn.
    Probably hammock-ing, on 650b drop bar bikes with lightweight packs.

timb34
    Free Member

Don’t know that area really well for cycling (apart from once doing an ‘XC’ race around Mt Aigoual that nearly broke me), but you’re looking at two very different geographies : from Millau to Meyrueis/Florac it’s Les Causses, pretty much plateaus and deep valleys so either flat-ish or very steep, then east of there to Anduze it’s the Cevennes, loads of small valleys and up and down all over the place.

If you’re looking to go offraod through the Cevennes then I think progress could be quite slow, but really fun. I’ve driven along the Corniche de Cevennes road to and from Florac, and that looks like an amazing road to ride, but seemed quite long and steep.

Oh and check the weather at the top of Mt Aigoual before planning any camping up there – it can snow in June. In fact, there might be restrictions on camping sauvage and bivouacing as it’s a National Park (usually bivoucing is ok, but check here https://www.lecampingsauvage.fr/legislation-et-reglementation/camping-sauvage-bivouac )

mugsys_m8

aP hope you’re well. Doing a 2 day Tour de Lozère This weekend run by Chilkoot cdp. If you look on their website the links to the strava routes are there. All road so we have been informed…but it will be the tastier roads of the area. There is a back road up Mt. Aigoual from the north ish which we took during the same organisations Born to Ride back in June…again strava route on their website but am sure we will be going up or down it on Saturday ( not looked in detail). I can put you in touch with people if you want….including Arles Gravel.

mugsys_m8

Chilkoot are also doing a Stephenson route next year…Really good guys.

aP
    Free Member

Thanks guys – all good info. Waves at mugsys_m8!
    I’m thinking of taking the D991 to Nant then heading up into the hills to Dourbies, over the Col des Ubertes, to L’Esperou, then possibly a little pilgrimage to Mont Aigoual, then over to Valleraugue, Notre-dame-de-la-rouviere, Col de l’Asclie, down to L’Estrechure, then roll down the valley to Saint-Jean-du-Gard. return Corniche de Cevennes (we drove this last June and though it’d be a decent but ok ride, then the nice downhill run back to Millau via the Gorges du Tarn.

cchris2lou

Hi, i live in Millau and it is not too bad to go to l aigoual via Nant. I usually turn before Nant towards Trêve and then Camprieu. And up for l Esperou. I have access to a very cheap but good chalet in l Esperou if you need it.
    Coming back by les gorges du Tarn is simple enough. Not 100% flat.
    And be careful with the weather, mont aigoual can be freezing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cycling in the Gard’ is closed to new replies.