• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Hanky.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cycling in tenerife
  • scuff321
    Free Member

Looking at getting away for a few days cycling somewhere warm and cheap just picked tenerife because I’ve heard it’s good but I’m open to ideas, if anyone has been before would like to know if north or south of the island is better and a decent hotel so I can cut out all the middle men.
    Thanks

dmck16
    Free Member

Watching with interest 8)

andrw13
    Free Member

Road or MTB?

scuff321
    Free Member

road less to take and lighter bike

andrw13
    Free Member

Road is very good …. If you like climbing. Mount Teide (enormous volcano) sits in the middle of Tenerife and all roads except the coastal dual carraigeway lead up it. I think it’s the longest continuous climb in europe, about 2100m2 to the rim of the crater. This means that it doesn’t matter if you stay north or south. South is where all the tourist beach resorts are and is warmer and drier than the north.
    Bike point tenerife in las americas has decent bikes if you decide to hire.
    Always stayed at all inclusive places with the family so can’t really help with the hotel.

ianfitz
    Free Member

We are heading on a family holiday in Feb half term stay in playa las Americas. I ‘may’ have hired a road bike from bike point…

We were recommended http://www.cyclingtenerife.com/holidays.html by someone who had stayed there

trail_rat
    Free Member

Elksa organics .

No where near as pretentious as the website sounds.

I did 5 days in Puerto de la Cruz at a hotel and then moved I elksa. Wish I’d just stayed with steppe and kerensa the whole holiday

And if going MTB go riding with darran at lava trax -potdog on here I think. More like riding with a mate than a guide compared to some guides I’ve had over the years who have learned the book but have nae banter.

scuff321
    Free Member

Great that climb seems perfect I’ll definitely take my own bike, and I’ll stay in the south just need hotel now cheers

jkomo

Andrw13 can you recommend an all inclusive for a family holiday?
    Looking for Feb.

mcdonagh2962
    Free Member

I have biked mount teidie a couple of times you will need to be fit it’s a tough climb , especially if you climb from los gigantis and I would recommend Maria Lanza suits and spa in los cristianos 4 star + with Thompson’s top class hotel and food is great , join the gym and you can do a spinning class under water, great fun great gym €40 a week to use,you will need the gym when you see all the food

andrw13
    Free Member

Jkomo, we’ve stayed at Hotel Costa Los Gigantes a few times. It’s a big hotel so has lots of facilities – decent pools, high ropes, play area, tennis, mini golf, gym (good spin class), well laid out suite type rooms, room fridge restocked daily with beer and soft drinks. Most importantly for all inclusive, there’s a good choice of food.
    Thomson kids club might not be running in Feb but the hotel has it’s own which probably will be.
    Beach is about 10mins walk away, steeply sloped volcanic sand with big waves, these are fun but not ideal if you have very young kids.

jkomo

Thanks I’ll check it out.

curvature
    Free Member

Try La Palma. Smaller and quieter than most of the other Canaries.

Over 2400m to the top of the volcano. Very good roads with little traffic.

It ranges from black sand at the sea through banana plantations, pine forests and ultimately at the higher levels quite a barren landscape.

I went just before Christmas and it was 24c at sea level and 3c at the summit with a huge windchill factor. Ice was forming on any exposed surface.

Looking to go back again later this year.

bhill22
    Free Member

Did Tenerife three times (week)last year, did not rain once, regretted not spending a day at Gomera supposed to be good, and as we were south did not do the Tiede approach from the north. If you can fit it in it will be worthwhile. Its a slog from bottom to top but worth it, I am 57 today and had no issues doing it.
    Enjoy

hammyuk
    Free Member

Teide from the North is not the same climb by some margin.
    From the south you’ll go from 0m up over Retamar at 2100m, then dropping to Boca del Tauce at 1980m.
    Be warned though – there are no level stretches once you start until you reach Boca del Tauce.
    It is relentless.
    Keep going to the Teleferico and you’ll be at 2250m at the Base del Teide.
    Be prepared to be hanging out of your arse – even a snowball fight at that height is painful on your lungs.
    My ex-FiL is actually on google maps.
    He owned a cycle shop there are years and has done Teide hundreds of times as well as a full circuit of the island in a day.
    He never left without a spare set of pads in his shirt as its very, very, very easy to kill a set on the way back.
    I did it once when living out there.
    Never again!
    Its bad enough climbing hard at that level without spending a number of hours of continuous pedalling to get there in the first place!

Hanky

We did the Volcano Tour with http://tenerifebiketraining.com/ at the end of 2015 / New Year. Fantastic and challenging place to ride, and was perfect prep for my season.

Alberto, Marcus, Eloy and Terry were excellent ride leaders and we’re hoping to go back in the future.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cycling in tenerife’ is closed to new replies.