Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • Cycling in London #2 (RLJ content)
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Nice edit, Elfin. Really makes everyone respect you even more than they already do don’t

Still havunt a clue what on Earth you’re actually going on about, but then again, I suspect neither do you. 😐

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Elfin, I love you, will you have my children? 🙂

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Still havunt a clue what on Earth you’re actually going on about, but then again, I suspect neither do you.

Now this is just pathetic! You said it now own up to it.

Fred up there got bitten by a dog and the owner offered him £10 if he didn’t tell the police about it. The owner was elderly and would be left all on this own if the dog was put down. So Fred, being Fred, took the £10 and still reported him to the Police.

However, he decided to sneakily edit his post that said what’s written above because he doesn’t want people thinking he’s a bad person. He got a criminal record from when he was younger but he’s changed still the same.

Slightly makes your blood boil. 👿

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If you can actually prove this, then fair enough. Off you go to collect your ‘evidence’.

I’ll be expecting a full apology from you if you can’t, of course.

Elfin, I love you, will you have my children?

Why, don’t you want them any more?

I havunt really got the space for them to be honest. 🙁 I really don’t know where I’d put them.

smell_it
    Free Member

I’m sure kicking the shit out of someone for rlj’ing will make you a true hero of the people, rather than just a violent prick. I guess Saturday night is internet hard men night.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Now I do actually know a bit about this; RLJing carries a maximum fixed penalty of thirty pounds, AKAIK. Assault ranges from Conditional Discharge to several years in jail, depending on the particular case and severity of the assault, if convicted.

Hmmm….

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’ve done my own edit for you, Fred, boy o chum.*

*draped in sarcasm

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Sorry, did you say you had proof that I did what you’re accusing me of? On a public forum?

Y’know, cos if, like you’re going to claim something as fact, you kind of need evidence to back it up…

You’ve gone and got yourself all wound up over something you’ve imagined, about someone you’ve never met but appear to have taken quite some interest in, on the internet.

😕

Personally I find doing woodwork very therapeutic. In fact, I’m currently designing something as a result of inspiration I gained from my visit to the V+A yesterday.

What’s your favourite gallery or museum?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

👿 Pathetic little man!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No, don’t know that one.

Is it in Paris? New York?

You’ll have to help me out here…

getonyourbike
    Free Member

You really sink this low? Well, not a surprise really 🙄

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Saw this yesterday. I thought it was quite cute, and really rather practical too.

What do you think?

MrSmith
    Free Member

gcse craft project B-

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What do you think?

That you are trying to derail the thread and not properly address the accusation made above. Did you edit that comment or not?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh yeah it’s crap, but fun nonetheless.

Don’t you think?

Reminds me of the Death Star repair droids:

MrSmith
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KHMO14KuJk[/video]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

That you are trying to derail the thread and not properly address the accusation made above. Did you edit that comment or not?

Remind me again what it has to do with you?

And why you feel I should even deign to give you an answer?

If you really want to know, why don’t you email me about it? My email’s in my profile, you see.

Spin
    Free Member

heard a great saying from a friendly Police officer at the pub some years back; “if you ride like a c*nt, you will get f*cked”

He sounds like a delightful fellow.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Oh yeah it’s crap, but fun nonetheless.

sure… 🙄

samuri
    Free Member

Are red lights there to make us follow rules or keep us safe? I think it’s the latter. Yeah, we can all jump the lights. It’s easy, you don’t have to be smart or brave, look around, nothing coming, it’s perfectly safe, I’ll just ride acros…..BANG!!!!!

The lights are there to protect you, as a vulnerable road user especially.

Obviously it’s your choice, hope you do actually see *every* car that’s coming. The stats for cyclist deaths in London suggest that some people get it wrong. But you guys won’t will you?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No, I won’t.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

TBH, it is one of the things that makes riding in London tremendous fun!

will
    Free Member

Ride in London everyday and I don’t see the point in red light jumping.

The way I look at it, people don’t rlj to get to the destination quicker as I will always pass them again if I have been sat at the lights 😆 they’re just lazy people.

I agree there are some lights which would be ok to jump, but don’t. Often think would I do this if I was in a car.

Why make riding in London any more dangerous than it already is?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

samuri – Member

Are red lights there to make us follow rules or keep us safe? I think it’s the latter. Yeah, we can all jump the lights. It’s easy, you don’t have to be smart or brave, look around, nothing coming, it’s perfectly safe, I’ll just ride acros…..BANG!!!!!
    they are actually there to stop cars causing gridlock. there are many lights its perfectly safe to go across on red – you know when you can see whats coming in each direction

vinnyeh

there are many lights its perfectly safe to go across on red – you know when you can see whats coming in each direction

I’d suggest that in built up areas there aren’t many that give you much view onto the left hand side unless you’re over the line.
    What’s the hurry anyway?

Pigface
    Free Member

TJ are you really saying its ok to JRL?

dainius
    Free Member

When i saw hitted biker in Richmond last year i have no more willing to drive in London roads, there is much more green and nice space when in public London roads…

pdw
    Free Member

and, if you are involved in a RTA, forget any compensation if you are found RLJ, which with the spread of CCTV, is not hard to prove…

Not true. There was a case recently where a speeding taxi took out a RLJ cyclist, yet the cyclist managed to claim some damages on account of the taxi’s excess speed:

http://cycling.access-legal.co.uk/2011/12/red-light-jumping-cyclist-still-makes-damages-recovery.html

I’d suggest that in built up areas there aren’t many that give you much view onto the left hand side unless you’re over the line.

There’s one near us which is a T junction, with a mandatory cycle lane across the top part of the T. Run that red light and the only thing you should encounter is other cyclists doing a right turn out of the other part of the T. Of course, many of the zombie RLJs fail to look out even for that…

There’s just one red light that I run, and it’s one of those stupid traffic lights at the end of a bus lane to give the bus priority into the queue of traffic. Unfortunately, despite the signs saying that it’s OK for bikes to use the bus lane, the traffic light can’t be triggered by bikes, so if you stop, you’ll be waiting for the next bus.

nedrapier

Interesting example. I don’t know any like that near me. Pigface, Esher Shore, would you say it’s OK to jump that one?

Some might say yes, but buses come along pretty regularly, and anyway, what’s the rush?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Elfin, What helmet do you wear for RLJing?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Specialized S-Works, or sometimes if it’s particularly cold I wear my old Met Scudo cos it’s less vented keeps me head warmer.

RustySpanner

RLJ’ing is dangerous, but more importantly it’s selfish.

It makes other road users hate us and also makes them more likely to ignore traffic signals themselves.
    Which just makes everyones life a bit more stressful, dangerous and unpleasant.

Whilst I’m not bothered if some idiotic cyclist gets killed RLJ’ing, I do feel sorry for the driver of the other vehicle involved.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah but Rusty; there’s a difference between RLJing in situations where it’s perfectly safe to do so, and someone being an idiot.

My experience of riding in London has taught me when it’s safe to do so, and when it’s not. So I use that experience to ensure I have a safe and pleasant journey.

I also ride on pavements and stuff sometimes. Shock horror! What a naughty boy I am…

RustySpanner

Yeah but Rusty; there’s a difference between RLJing in situations where it’s perfectly safe to do so, and someone being an idiot.

No there isn’t. Everyone still thinks the RLJ’er is a selfish tosser.
    I couldn’t care less if the RLJ’er thinks it’s safe or not, they are still exhibiting behaviour which makes everyone elses life a little worse.

If you can’t see that, then you’re part of the problem, frankly.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I couldn’t care less if the RLJ’er thinks it’s safe or not, they are still exhibiting behaviour which makes everyone elses life a little more unpleasant.

Don’t be so melodramatic. Tell you what, come and ride with me in That London, then you’ll actually get a fairer picture of how I ride.

Everyone still thinks the RLJ’er is a selfish tosser.

I couldn’t care less. I think people driving well over the speed limit in town, using mobile telephones whislt driving, not using their mirrors, driving dangerously etc are all ‘selfish tossers’.

The difference is, their behaviour is far, far, far more likely to result in serious injury or even death.

This is what it comes down to.

If you can’t see that, then you’re part of the problem, frankly.

Nonsense. That’s like saying if you ever drive above the speed limit, then you are ‘part of the problem’ of accidents caused by speeding. Are you?

I was once fined for startling a goat, on my bicycle.

It’s true. 😳

smell_it
    Free Member

It makes other road users hate us and also makes them more likely to ignore traffic signals themselves.

This always gets trotted out on threads relating to any cyclists behaviour, and to me it’s just bs for STW hand wringers. Whilst riding home one night last week I saw a van pull the wrong way up a one way street to make a delivery near the bottom of said street, seemingly to avoid the time heading round the block, it niether made me hate van drivers or want to head the wrong way down a one way street.

RustySpanner

Don’t be so melodramatic. Tell you what, come and ride with me in That London, then you’ll actually get a fairer picture of how I ride.

It’s not melodramatic, it’s true.
    Sorry if it makes you uncomfortable.

I couldn’t care less. I think people driving well over the speed limit in town, using mobile telephones whislt driving, not using their mirrors, driving dangerously etc are all ‘selfish tossers’.

The difference is, their behaviour is far, far, far more likely to result in serious injury or even death.

Really? Could you show me the stats that back this up? Or are you just trying to justify your selfish behaviour again?
    Do two wrongs actually make a right after all? 🙂

That’s like saying if you ever drive above the speed limit, then you are ‘part of the problem’ of accidents caused by speeding. Are you?

Yes.

This always gets trotted out on threads relating to any cyclists behaviour, and to me it’s just bs for STW hand wringers. Whilst riding home one night last week I saw a van pull the wrong way up a one way street to make a delivery near the bottom of said street, seemingly to avoid the time heading round the block, it niether made me hate van drivers or want to head the wrong way down a one way street.

Well good for you.
    However, humans use others’ behaviour to justify and legitimise their own. You are the exception that proves the rule. 😀

And the continued constant drip, drip, drip of selfishness and thoughtlessness makes our lives more stressful and uncomfortable then they otherwise could be.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Really? Could you show me the stats that back this up?

With pleasure:

Pedestrian casualties 2001-09

Killed by cycles: 18
    Seriously injured by cycles: 434
    Killed by cars: 3,495
    Seriously injured by cars: 46,245
    Figures apply to Great Britain. Source: Department for Transport

From this BBC article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13040607

And more:

Great Britain cycle safety statistics

In 2008, pedal bikes made up 1.8% of urban, non-motorway traffic but were involved in just 0.25% of pedestrian deaths and below 1% of serious pedestrian injuries
    During the same year, there were 13,272 recorded collisions between cars and bicycles, resulting in the deaths of 52 cyclists and no car drivers or passengers
    A study of collisions between cyclists and other vehicles from 2005-07 found police allocated blame to drivers in 60% of cases, to the cyclist in 30% and to both parties in the remainder
    Source: Department for Transport

brakes
    Free Member

some people run red lights, some don’t.
    that’s their choice, and they choose to suffer the consequeneces whether that be a police fine, some pedestrian fist pie or being flattened by a an artic.
    my questions is why bother? what are you in such a rush for that you can’t wait one minute for, at most? or is it the ‘rush’ of breaking the law? or are you racing against other cyclists?

RustySpanner

So where are the stats specifically relating to RLJ’ing?

See, selfish people can always justify their behaviour.
    Things are always someone elses fault.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Cycling in London #2 (RLJ content)’ is closed to new replies.