• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Ro5ey.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cycling in London
  • wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

I’m down in the big smoke that is London as of today for work. Am amazed there’s so many cyclist about, and not just “proper” cyclists but loads of normal folks on bikes, but I must say…..

Fek me it looks mental! I’m amazed anyone survives – bike lanes with width of a cigarette paper alongside buses – I saw a queue of about 7 cyclists queued up along the length of a bus all leaning on it waiting for lights!

I’ve commuted for 15 years by bike in Manchester but this is a whole new ball game! Hats off to all those that do this on a daily basis. I’m right next to London Bridge so I’m not sure if it representative but anyhow…..pheweee…

brakes
    Free Member

the traffic doesn’t move very fast which makes it less dangerous to ride around. and traffic volumes have been really bad this week but it’s not normally like this.
    it takes a bit of getting used to but once you do it’s awesome.
    I love my commute. 8 years and counting.

eckinspain
    Free Member

It’s better than the tube!

crazy-legs

London is a strange one – yes I’m amazed that *anyone* survives given the sort of organised chaos of taxis, buses, bikes, cars and pedestrians but it all just seems to work (most of the time).

Helps of course that Londoners are more used to people on bikes (not necessarily “cyclists” just “people on bikes”) and know to expect them.

I love riding in London and I love the hire bikes too – best way to get around! 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It takes a bit of getting used to but once you do it’s awesome.

Agreed in full! I miss my commutes across London.

Am amazed there’s so many cyclist about, and not just “proper” cyclists but loads of normal folks on bikes

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

I must admit the swathes of cyclists flying over the bridge as work ended was a pretty good sight 🙂
    And most if not all cyclists I saw stopped at lights – probably self-preservation in that madness!

Again chapeau to those that do it, I shall watch in awe again over the coming week 😀

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve recently moved jobs out of London and do slightly miss the mad commutes already!

finbar
    Free Member

I’ve done 190 miles in and out of London this week (St Albans to Westminster and back Mon to Thurs). Central London is fine – it’s the edges that are terrifying. Car drivers who have been/will be in traffic jams for two hours making the most of clear bits of road 😯

alansd1980

Nick, does this mean you are no longer going to be on the A24 CS7 ratrace??

brooess
    Free Member

Central London is fine – it’s the edges that are terrifying. Car drivers who have been/will be in traffic jams for two hours making the most of clear bits of road

Yep – had more abuse in 6 months in ‘middle class suburban paradise’of Bromley than I’ve had in years of riding in London. We get a fair bit out in the country lanes on club rides too. Glad I’m moving back to Crystal Palace next month tbh

Best thing about cycling in London is, if you believe the plans and the Mayor’s cycling vision, we’ve only just got started 😀

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Having put it off for years, I started commuting in earlier in the summer .

So far so good

Loving it

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cycling in London’ is closed to new replies.