Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cycling & heart attacks
  • Mounty_73
    molgrips
    Free Member

Oh my lord. Exercise now CAUSES heart attacks?

Must stop typing now..

EDIT: why did you even post this tripe? You know exactly what’s going to happen!

Drac

Not really the cause though is it just the final contributing factor.

Would need to see the paper though rather than the Daily Fail’s version of it.

Mounty_73

I have time to kill, so I thought I would stick this nonsense up ! 😉

Besides are the STW massive not Daily Mail readers ?! 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

If you are unfit then jump on a bike and hammer – of course. If you cycle daily your whole life, then it’s prevention. But everyone knows that.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

I’ve been cycling for years.

September last year I had a heart attack.

Can only talk from personal experience, but the medical diagnosis on potential causes has not included cycling !

ratherbeintobago

Ahem.

Andy

shmuk
    Free Member

So, basically the Lancet report waffles on something along the lines of “if you’re heading towards a heart attack, at some point something you do will be the final straw that triggers it.”

Well, durrrrrr…

And as it happens, the ‘something’ could be coffee, alcohol, sex, cycling or breathing. Yes, stuff that we all do to some degree all of the time.

And (shock horror), stuff involving exertion is more likely than coffee to trigger a heart attack.

These scientists must have brains the size of Jupiter to work that out all by themselves… 🙄

Excuse me if these momentous claims don’t impress or surprise me, but it doesn’t sound like rocket surgery.

dr_death
    Free Member

So many holes in that article it’s not even worth commenting on, It’s the biggest crock of shit I’ve read in a long time.

donsimon
    Free Member

Thanks for the link, I don’t care much for the story but did find this…
    Megan-Fox-sizzles-strips-advertise-Emporio-Armani-underwear
    Look at thre title and decide for yourself it’s SFW or not!
    Thanks. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

These scientists must have brains the size of Jupiter to work that out all by themselves

You’ll probably find that the scientists were doing some useful research, but the paper has completely missed the point. It’s the DAILY FRIGGIN MAIL!

juan
    Free Member

What molgrips says.
    What concerns GPs over here, is the sudden death of cyclist. However, the most likely candidate would have spend most of the 40th first year of his life having a good one (coffee, cigarettes, yummy food and only walking to the garage to drive to work) when suddenly instead of buying a porsch as mid-life crisis he decide to get a specialized carbon exotica and get to the top of some cols.

shmuk
    Free Member

@molgrips

Heh. Yes, I know, which is why I read a report of the article in two other ‘proper’ news sites.

In summary: “one day you might have a heart attack that might be triggered by breathing. or you might not”

Meh. I refuse to jump on the fear-culture bandwagon that everything and everyone is out to kill me!!! 😉

D0NK

Don’t let the facts get in the way of an exciting (to DM readers) headline!

BTW can anyone point me to some good references proving or otherwise that “cycling in traffic exposes you to more pollution than driving” or vicky versa, I’ve heard both.

juan
    Free Member

BTW can anyone point me to some good references proving or otherwise that “cycling in traffic exposes you to more pollution than driving” or vicky versa, I’ve heard both.

We can’t. Back to the hold forum we had a thread where I though commuting was doing more damage than good to my health. At some point a PhD student on this very specific subject was saying that it was not obvious at all…

stgeorge

I had a heart attack, recovered, then started cycling……….

Does this mean heart attacks create cyclists ?

Trekster

I know people(some close friends) who have had heart attacks and died whilst playing squash, football, golf.
    A friend died at Kirroughtree this year whilst biking. He had a hereditary condition but lived life to the full. There have been a few at GT over the years.
    A friend and work colleague who enjoyed hill walking died in his car with his dog at his side after one of his favourite walks.
    Quite a few were younger than me an some of a similar age 😯

_tom_
    Free Member

classic daily mail.

chewkw
    Free Member

I wonder what the people in China say about cycling to work … 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

I read research that said the air quality inside a car in stationary traffic was worse than that outside of it, because there are fewer breezes and so on and your car tends to suck in exhaust from the car in front. However it did not address whether or not the extra air taken in by a cyclist would counteract that.

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah. A friend’s husband died of a heart attack on the squash court. “He was really fit” , “He played squash every week”.

I met him, he was a fat biffer. He was neither fit, nor did he follow a healthy lifestyle. He caused more problems than good by screwing himself all week and then spending half an hour loading his heart up before drinking another 5 pints because ‘he’s had a good workout’.

As an aside, Megan Fox may well have sizzled at some point but she appears to have a jailhouse tat on her forearm and her waist. Right old turnoff.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cycling & heart attacks’ is closed to new replies.