Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cycling & health question
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Another question for the STW hive mind…

Had a few blood pressure checks over the past month. Being a fairly fit 40something, I’ve always had ok blood pressure – but BP was sky high when I went to the docs earlier this month.

Anyway, reducing coffee intake, a few other diet & “lifestyle” changes, and BP was right back down.

So, nurse does BP this am, and it’s right back up – so she asks what I’ve been up to at the weekend.

Ignoring the opportunity for a risque reply – the only thing that I thought could have made a difference was a 4.5 hour training ride on Saturday.

SO – is training / riding going to have that sort of effect on BP? I always thought that activity / fitness was positive???

hooli

Cant answer your question but what is the difference between a training ride and a normal ride?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What did the nurse look like?

Unrelated….

I had to have my blood pressure redone at the end of my medical for Oz emigration as I’d just done Warrington to Whitworth then back to salford/mosside in rush hour as I’d forgotten my passport and was about to waste a chunk of cash if I wasn’t on time to be seen late.

traildog
    Free Member

training ride and a normal ride?

The intention of the ride.

traildog
    Free Member

You need a doctor on here, but I believe BP raises during exercise and will then eventually drop before returning to it’s normal rate. Also, regular exercise is supposed to keep your blood pressure low.

After a tough long ride, heart rate, blood sugar levels and BP are often all over the place so not really the best time to get tested for any of those.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Difference between a training ride and a normal ride? Whether or not there’s any expectation to regularly regroup.

AndrewJ
    Free Member

Were the good readings taken at the doctors surgery or in the quiet of your home. White Coat Syndrome maybe? I regularly take my BP at home and 95% of the time it’s fine. As soon as I step foot in the surgery it’s through the roof!

Alcohol raises the BP so if you’d had a heavy weekend that could account for it 😉

rkk01
    Free Member

What did the nurse look like?

Relevance – high, I’d say. Petite, flirty mid thirties brunette 😉

Cant answer your question but what is the difference between a training ride and a normal ride?

About 3.5hrs…?
    I normally either commute 1hr each way, or go for an hour blast from home.

Trying to shock the body into (semi)preparedness for June’s Etape Eryri, so Saturday was a 4.5 hr fest of some of the Rhondda’s steepest climbs, topped off by a slog over Rhigos Mountain…

Junkyard
    Free Member

And what gender were they ?

Superficial
    Free Member

😆

Your BP shouldn’t be affected by exercise more than an hour or so earlier. Are you using the same arm each time? I’m inclined to think the nurse has a lot to answer for 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cycling & health question’ is closed to new replies.