Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cycling Gps
  • lewismorgan
    Free Member

Off to scotland in August.

Satmap active 10 vs the memory map.

Satmap looks easier to use but is it worth the extra money over the memorymap ones?

donsimon
    Free Member

I’d love to help, but I’m a bit nervous about being reported for giving you the wrong advice and more importantly on the last thread I gave you advice on you didn’t have the courtesy to thank people.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Don, if your going to help great
    if not bugger off.
    It’s simple.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

see lots of dodgy reviws on the memory map – I think it is just a ruggedised PDA.

The Satmap is excellent – british company and designed by an ex-RAF pilot so he knows something about GPS’s and navigation. Lots of mountain rescue groups use them as well.

donsimon
    Free Member

lewismorgan – Member

Don, if your going to help great
    if not bugger off.
    It’s simple.

Genuine 😆

fbk
    Free Member

Hmm, I think somebody’s going to find it hard to get a straight answer for a while here!

lewismorgan
    Free Member

I noticed they jsut remoed there posts, maybe they have realized how juvenille they sound.

I previously ran the MM on a PDA however and it worked perfectly!

rs
    Free Member

I noticed they jsut remoed there posts, maybe they have realized how juvenille they sound.

I still think my comment was excellent, it seems stw doesn’t like us having fun at your expense anymore.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

I’m glad the mods are on the ball,
    well when i actualy want to ask valid questions your just spamming them

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

yep – I lost a comment as well 🙁

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I previously ran the MM on a PDA however and it worked perfectly!

do your own research then – I have just seen comments about how the user interface wasn’t appropriate for a ruggedised device as it was based on a PDA.

I think the new one might be a bit better now.

j_me
    Free Member

I thought it was just my spazzy typing

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

the review s of the 2800 on Amazon aren’t particularly good:

memory map 2800

whereas reviews of Satmap still good:

Satmap active 10

plus the Satmap is only £50 more for full uk 1:50k OS mapping.

AJames
    Free Member

My sat map is excellent, and it takes the bashes and copes with the rain. Use it more in the winter when on new routes and don’t have time to faf about with maps. Down side only that the maps cost a fortune and the 1:50 isn’t much good for what we do.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

you used to get a discount voucher for a site centered 1:25k map – mine is centered in Guildford and covers tunnel hill, north downs in surrey, surrey hills, swinley. Goes up halfway into London and nearly to Brighton, for about £70.

CHB

satmap is good. OR the garmin 800.
    However these days I don’t think I would buy either and would plump for an iPhone instead.

neninja
    Free Member

Satmap is excellent – I use 1:25 and 1:50k maps and it works well with either – 1:25 is definitely better when in featureless remote areas and for identifying field boundaries etc.

It’s certainly rugged – I’ve had a few crashes with mine on the bars and it’s survived them all. I doubt you could say that for an iphone. The last one was a proper fast over the bars crash into rocks – it broke my ribs but only put a small crack in the corner of the replaceable screen on the Satmap and rotated it round the bars slightly.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I left my satmap on the boot of the car and it got slingshoted across the large roundabout near Swinley, bounced a few times on the road before making it to the central reservation to await collection by me once I had driven home and realised it was missing.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

^^
    You’ve ended the juvenile comments finally then?!?!

And did it live to see another day!

I think in terms of the amount of times i’ll probably eat the ground the Satmap will be slightly more rugged on the bike and the bigger screen makes it more attractive.

Does it ever struggle for signal?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You’ve ended the juvenile comments finally then?!?

moi??? Don’t think I really made any.

yes – it lived. I am actually going to send it in for a service as I managed to push the waterproof seal in at the top a long while ago – I can’t find the service fees but I seem to remember them being pretty cheap.

The bigger screen is attractive for plotting impromptu routes on it, for instance if you go to an area and buy a local cycling routes book, or if you decide to cut your route short and want to plot a route home (for which you can just set a POI and have it show a straight line to the POI so you know roughly the direction to go in).

The big buttons are nice rather than a touch screen – I wouldn’t want to use muddy fingers on a touch screen.

It is one of the newer GPS chips – I have never had a problem.

The bike mount is pretty good as well.

The main drawback is the screen covers, which protect the main screen, are not a brilliantly strong plastic, and get scratched. They are replaceable and you buy them in packs of 3, but the answer is to us the Zagg invisible shield screen covers that Satmap sell. I also have one on the main screen, but you can get moisture effects doing this.

When you pick a route you can have it constantly orientate the map to the direction of cycling so you know the turn is coming up, which is nice. You can also have it show all the other routes you have in the area in a different color so you can duck off onto another route if you want part way round.

But maybe you should look at the Garmin 800 to see if the screen is nicer as it is newer.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cycling Gps’ is closed to new replies.