Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Cycling glasses – lost my Jawbones – what next?
  • hughjayteens
    Free Member

Hi all,
    As per title, after 5 years of good service I have annoyingly lost my Oakley Jawbones so need to replace them. I used the clear and black iridium lenses a lot so something with either very good photochromic lenses or interchangeable lenses would be great.

Any recommendations?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Jawbreakers and a Larry Grayson style chain to hang them around your neck? Not a stylish set of glasses but meet your practical requirements

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Does anyone have the Oakley transition lenses? Do they change fast enough when riding into the woods on a sunny day?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rubber_Buccaneer

I like em. They don’t go as dark as the darkest lenses but that helps when you go into the shade as the transition isn’t instant. I think if you want a faster transition you need those electronically controlled jobs but the Oakley’s are my most useful lenses

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Tried some on in the Oakley store in Gunwharf Quays the other night. Genuinely impressed.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have the photochromic lenses in some radar paths. The best thing I can say about them is that you never notice them doing anything. They are just the right amount of darkness all the time.

mattbee

My Crosslink have transition prescription lenses in them and they have been great for riding in (other than the usual misting up issues) although I’m now in contacts & std lenses.

beej

I’ve got Jawbreakers and transition lenses, they look stoopid (especially on my tiny head) but the protection is brilliant and the transitions are great for anything from night riding to the brightest sunshine you get in the UK.

I’d like them slightly darker for a full day in the sun in Spain maybe, but that’s when I use the non-transition split jackets I’ve got.

onionmk
    Free Member

Another pair of Oakley Jawbones! I can’t go without mine.

Oakley Jawbreakers get very good reviews too.

Kryton57

andysredmini – Member
    I have the photochromic lenses in some radar paths. The best thing I can say about them is that you never notice them doing anything. They are just the right amount of darkness all the time.

+1

Id say the same for Endura Mullets which i just paid a mere £24 for from Wiggle, except i discovered white glasses dont go with white helmets after i saw some pictues today.

jimmon2008
    Free Member

I’ve been using Oakley flak jacket transition prescription glasses for a few years now and tbh for the money they’re great in all but very wet or damp conditions and if you’re going in and out of trees etc as they don’t change quickly enough

It’s especially difficult when as recently at bpw light was coming through the tree line and making the lenses go dark when a second later you were in darkness again. Made it very difficult when you can’t see the drop offs coming and landing blind

sefton
    Free Member

Bolle 6th sense

Salice 006

Rudy project Tralyx

(forget Oakley) 😉

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Well I was about to push the button on same jaw Breakers after trying a load on at the airport last week, and then yesterday my four year old daughter walks into the room with my missing Jawbones on her face! Turns out she had been ‘shopping’ a few weeks ago and put them into her handbag….

She was very pleased with herself!

stevied
    Free Member

That’s brilliant…Kids eh? 😆

benp1

How light do photochromic lenses do?

Can you wear them at night?

beej

Yep. Certainly you can with the Oakley Clear-Black Iridium ones.

Rubber_Buccaneer

hughjayteens – Member
    my four year old daughter walks into the room with my missing Jawbones
    ………
    She was very pleased with herself!

Pudding denial, she has to learn 👿

zilog6128

I’ve always worn mine for night rides/commutes, never had a problem

benp1

Wow, I didn’t realise they’d be that good. I tend to wear clear at night and or take a pair with multiple lenses if I’m out for a while

hmmm

Superficial
    Free Member

I don’t really like my Racing Jacket (==Jawbone) transitions lenses. They are always a bit dim for my tastes and they fog more easily. I realise I’m in the minority with this view. I get a lot more use from the clear lenses

njee20
    Free Member

They’re not all the same. Oakley Clear Black Iridium go very clear (IMO, superficial obviously disagrees), and I also wear them for night riding/commuting. In the case I have to check the etching on the lens to differentiate between them and the ordinary clear lens.

They do fog more easily, and you have to be careful wiping them; I had the coating come off a pair of Jawbone transitions lenses after c12 months cleaning them with t-shirts/sleeves/whatever. Being more careful with their Radarlock replacements.

Houns

I’ll post a picture tomorrow of the clear/black lenses, one activated and one clear so you can see how clear and how dark they go

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Bolle safety glasses. Less than £10.

zilog6128

They’re not all the same. Oakley Clear Black Iridium go very clear (IMO, superficial obviously disagrees), and I also wear them for night riding/commuting.

Just to clarify, mine are Oakley Clear Black Iridium as well. Not tried any other transition lenses.

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah, same. I didn’t like that they never went completely clear – even in complete darkness you look a bit ‘Bono’. Aside from the fogging, performance-wise I had no real issues.

I just don’t really feel like I need sunglasses that often. Yes, they’re nice to have on really bright / sunny days, but on those days I can just wear a tinted lens. On every other day (95% of the time) clear is fine. YMMV obviously.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Cycling glasses – lost my Jawbones – what next?’ is closed to new replies.