Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Cycling Glasgow to Carlisle via the Aryshire coast.
  • larrydavid
    Free Member

I agree with Chris – I would do the route the opposite way you are planning – the prevailing wind is SW, and likely to make a big difference. As a local of Glasgow and formerly of Ayr, they wind can be a 100% massive bollock. The sea and topography do their best to amplify it somehow….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Although, as a commuter along the Ayrshire coast, you’d be amazed how often the wind isn’t from the SW….

Gary_M
    Free Member

Although, as a commuter along the Ayrshire coast, you’d be amazed how often the wind isn’t from the SW….

Not very in my experience 🙂 The last 2 weeks have been the exception, apart from a couple of days, I’ve had a NE tailwind home. I battle a headwind most days.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As you said earlier, that old A77 corridor funnels wind up it though. Most of my wind is a straight westerly off the sea, worst is an easterly though, for some reason it seems worse. Old roadie at work reckons it’s summit to do with pressure systems or the likes, makes me feel a little easier, as he struggles too, and he’s a beast of a time trialler!.

larrydavid
    Free Member

South Ayrshire – Ayr, Girvan is very definitely a prevailing SW. Have struggled into it, and then got massive push back many times…

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice folks much appreciated, it’s Glasgow to Barrow whatever and I live in an area of headwinds, even on an out and back

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Finished Newton Mearns to Newton Stewart today , rode a fair bit of the Sustrans 7 tying in our main bits , luckily ignored it and went to Straiton and rode one of the nicest climbs and roads I’ve ever ridden down to Newton Stewart, all previous advice massively appreciated by myself and mates, broken now with a potential 100 tomorrow

Gary_M
    Free Member

rode one of the nicest climbs and roads I’ve ever ridden down to Newton Stewart,

Yeh it’s a cracker isn’t it.

What time were you on the a77 heading to Kilmarnock? I passed a group of guys this week but can’t remember what day. One had what looked like an a4 sheet of paper on his bars. I said hello

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Not us Gary yesterday was our day, going to be grim grim to Gretna!!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ace! Glad you enjoyed it, it’s a really cracking road from Straiton south, most of it has been resurfaced recently too, which is nice.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Be better next week Nobeer the second half is shut for a week next week to tarmac it!! Broken after 103 from Newton Stewart to Gretna Green in a monsoon for the first four hours!!

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Cycling Glasgow to Carlisle via the Aryshire coast.’ is closed to new replies.