Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cycling From Sheffield To Holmfirth On A Saturday…
  • TimothyD
    Free Member

I’m wanting to go to the Folk festival from early morning to shortly after lunch, when i’d start cycling back again.

Only thingi’m wondering is, what are the roads like to cycle on?

Was thinking about the A61 and the A629, but I have an idea in my head they’d be quite busy.

Thoughts please…

Ta,

Tim

compositepro
    Free Member

Roads are quite quiet round here

I’m off to the folk festival its an all day session in’t nook

Theres a big climb out of holmfirth though on the road bike but you can also do sheef to holmfirth offroad via wharcliffe and langsett

TimothyD
    Free Member

Might be doing drystone walling on Friday, or something else which I’d find tiring.

The only servicable bike is my rigid mtb at the mo, my Mongoose Switchback, so I guess i’ll be riding that one, with slicks going by road.

Is the A629 not really very busy then?

Ta.

jackthedog
    Free Member

The Transpennine Trail takes you the majority of the way if you want to do it away from traffic. Go as far as Dunford Bridge, then nip over the hill past Winscar Reservoir and you’re there. Lovely ride that, slicks and all.

compositepro
    Free Member

The A629 is the main road into huddersfield its not busy per se just a fast A road

Ideally its better to end up on the B6106 takes you straight in and is most direct its more picturesque too you can go through wortley penistone thurlstone catshaw etc and avoid the stocksbridge bypass which is hell really as most HGVs use it to get to woodhead

I actually live just up from dunford bridge Its all downhill into Holmfirth

alex222
    Free Member

i was considering riding to holmfirth on saturday. i would have suggested that maybe i might go with you if you were unsure of the way. then you mentioned the folk festival and that you wanted to go so i am not going to make that offer.

antigee

I live out towards Stocksbridge so this would be my road route through Green Moor and Carlecotes
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1158731/

you could carry on into Stocksbridge and include Pea Royd Hill for a tick in 100 hill climbs!

the A6102 out from Hillsborough to Deepcar isn’t really the best bit narrow but then so is A61 out to A629 (which generally is widish and not too busy for an A road)
    alternative to A6102 is as if going to carpark at top of Wharncliffe?Greno Woods
    ie turn off A61 and go through Grenoside and take the unclassified road on beyond the carpark (called Woodhead road) towards Wortley – cross the Stocksbridge bypass and continue on A629 or turn left down Finkle Street to pick up route in link at Well lane

or off road from Hillsborough: just after Herries rd roundabout turn left into industrial estate (Niagra) and follow road to end pick up obvious wide trail by river to Oughtibridge (not officially yet a cycleroute but is supposed to be) at Oughtibridge turn right up hill (take care on the bridge sign up at http://www.OughtibridgeWAC.org.uk to support improvement campaign) to pick up TPT into Wharncliffe Woods – TPT to Dunford Bridge and various quiet options into Holmfirth

theteaboy
    Free Member

Where in Sheff are you?

I’ve done A57, Strines, Midhopestones, Langsett, Flouch and then either Hade Edge or Holme Moss a few times.

Strines is great, then the Holme Moss descent is hilarious.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cycling From Sheffield To Holmfirth On A Saturday…’ is closed to new replies.