• This topic has 16 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by igm.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cycling from Poppleton park and ride to York centre.
  • hammy7272
    Free Member

Due to start a new job in January. I live in Harrogate and I’m trying work out the best way to commute in.

From Poppleton is there a traffic free cycle path in?

Thanks

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’d head back over to the Ring Roafd towards Clifton Ings, and follow the river in..
    Pretty sure that all a cycle path..

hammy7272
    Free Member

Nice one cheers. About 4 miles do you think?

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Yep, park at Rawcliffe Bar park and ride and there’s a cycle path pretty much all the way into the city centre – it’s about 4 miles.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

But saying that, if you’re commuting in from Harrogate it would mean using the ring road to get to Rawcliffe Bar and it can get very busy at peak times. Poppleton is closer/easier but no traffic-free cycle path into the city centre.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Hmmm. That’s what I suspected. Think I’ll try both options and see how it goes.

Thanks.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

York is very bike friendly though and most main roads have dedicated cycle lanes so it might not be too bad cycling in from Poppleton.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

From Poppleton Road P&R I’m pretty sure theres a cyle path at the side of the road or on the pavement all the way from the ring road to traffic lights just past the Ainsty. From there you can go left, down the hill and either whizz through Leeman Road or keep going and hop onto the river at Clifton Bridge.

Personally I’d park at Rawcliffe Bar. No roads at all. No bypass to cross. Just cycle path all the way to Lendal Bridge. Only downside is it floods in large parts but even cycling into town straight down Bootham isn’t too bad.

cpon
    Free Member

Rawcliffe P&R is definitely a nicer ride in, however I’d go the shorter route, along the A59. You can also get the train from Harrogate to Poppleton station fairly cheaply.

cpon
    Free Member

Alternatively you might find traffic quieter going A1/M – A64 and using Tadcaster Road P&R.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Great stuff thanks very much lots of options to consider

Mike

mrbiker473
    Free Member

You could also park at Poppleton P&R, go though Poppleton to Millfield Lane and there is a shared pathway to the industrial estate/ petrol station and also over the bridge over the Ouse to Rawcliffe P&R.

Only on road section would be through Poppleton to Millfield Lane, although after the railway station there is a nice wide path but unsure if that is shared.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Another option is to park up on the A19 (Shipton Road) – the cycle path from Beningbrough joins onto the Rawcliffe Bar cycle path.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Yep, park at Rawcliffe Bar park and ride and there’s a cycle path pretty much all the way into the city centre – it’s about 4 miles.

And if you park here, there is a super awesome amazballs new bike park being built in the woods by some damn sexy dudes you can play on in the evenings! 8)

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve seen that, looks good 🙂

hammy7272
    Free Member

Thanks again really helpful.

igm

York is very bike friendly. Generally riding on the road won’t be a problem. You’ll be going faster than the cars most of the time anyway.

some damn sexy dudes you can play on in the evenings!

sorry! I didn’t think this was that kind of site! 😯

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cycling from Poppleton park and ride to York centre.’ is closed to new replies.