Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cycling from Perth to Crieff/Comrie
  • dufresneorama
    Free Member

Know some folk here are from that neck of the woods.
    Looking for the quietest, safest, most direct route to cycle from Perth to Crieff and vice versa. Will be on the tourers so paths and minor roads preferably. Unfortunately there is no sustrans route between the two, I could take the 77 up to Logierait then the 7 through Killin to Lochearnhead and come in Via the West, I know this is a pretty quiet route, but quite a diversion.

Thanks

stevious

The wee roads south of the A85 going through Balgowan, St Davids, etc are nice and quiet. If you want to go a bit further and have more of a challenge then go via Dunkeld, up Strathbraaan and trhough the Sma’ Glen – a very picturesque route and also usually quiet due to the great big hill involved 🙂

fasthaggis

As stevious says the road just south of the A85 is good,I have used it a few times .You can see it start off at Dollerie Terrace on the map and joins back on to the A85 after Hunting tower.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.3933019,-3.5064807,14z

kcal

Or NCR out of Perth, through Almondbank, then West at Moneydie, along B863 until you hit the tail end of the Sma’ Glen road, A822, at Dallick House, South to Gilmerton and West to Crieff – or even take another yellow back road round to the North and West of Crieff, come out at The Hosh (and Glenturret Distillery).

But I’d plump for the south of A85, through little hamlets – Madderty (have an uncle stays there, very pleasant!!)

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Thanks folks. I’ll look into taking that madderty Road, will be coming from Dundee so I’ll stick to NCR until Ruthvenfield. The other half is not terribly confident on the roads so wanted to stick to quiet ones.

bigG
    Free Member

I used to do that ride fairly often, the advice above is sound. Avoid the main road at all costs, it’s scary enough in a car sometimes.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Yeah, cycled the A85 a couple of times… Don’t fancy doing it again!

For the Crieff to Comrie Croft part thinking of taking paths to Comrie then coming in from the west, less time on main road.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cycling from Perth to Crieff/Comrie’ is closed to new replies.