Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cycling friendly places to live near Watford Junction
  • Jerome
    Free Member

I am moving up from Brighton and not familiar with area . Any recommendation ?? Somewhere leafyish and either a max 30 mins ride or quick train away from Watford junction . Handy for motorway good also as will be heading back to Brighton every so often, and be good to ride North Downs a bit more also .
    Cheers
    J.

kwack
    Free Member

From Watford Junction you could cycle to Cassiobury park and over the canal across into the woods.. pretty good trails there nothing too taxing but good fun

makkag
    Free Member

Hi jerome

I live 8 miles out and have been around the area for most of my life.

Buying / Renting size of propety etc – there are some really lovely villages close enough to the main Line.

Central Watfords just an extension of London and not leafy in the slightest email me if you’d prefer and i can give you some ideas based on budget etc

Rio

The Chilterns are a few minutes by train from Watford Junction – Berkhamsted and Tring are your best bets but neither comes cheap!

Jerome
    Free Member

Ooo thanks for replies..
    We will be renting at this stage/ just two of us – so small flat/house, and budget should cover most places I hope ( but what it gets is the difference I suppose ).

there are some really lovely villages close enough to the main Line.
    That is what I am hearing, just need to do a drive around / get some recommendations..

Berkhamsted has been suggested already, so is on the list.
    Makkag – thanks for offer – and I will be taking you up on that when I have some specific questions..

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP, as I lived in Surrey Hills for 25 years I am biased in terms of the riding quality vs Chilterns so would favour locations with better access to the North Downs. I was out in the Chilterns a couple of weeks ago having a “reccy”. If you want on your doorstep riding then as above go further out and North West / West North West to get more for your money and access to riding. You can easily stop off in the Surrey Hills for a ride on your way to Brighton.

As an FYI the bucks offroad sportiv was on the day we where out there. The various routes are here which could serve as a reference for riding locations. We where up on Coombe Hill near Pricess Risborough and the 150k route went past

Bucks Off Road Sportive – Courses

Jezkidd
    Free Member

I live in berkhamsted, have lived in tring. Both nice town, though tring is very small

Jerome
    Free Member

Looks like nearer the North downs is out as trains are super slow from that area.

Berkhamsted to Watford junction along the canal looks doable ?

So that is favourite , albeit further away from Brighton than is ideal..

Thanks for ideas – need to visit these places now..

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Berkhamsted to Hunton Bridge is 10 miles on tow path, then it’s about 1 1/2 miles on road to station.
    There are group mtb rides in Berkhamsted Mon, Tues, Weds, Thurs night, Sat and Sun in day, so lots of people to show you round

Jerome
    Free Member

Excellent..
    Sounding like Berkhamsted is the place..

There are group mtb rides in Berkhamsted Mon, Tues, Weds, Thurs night, Sat and Sun in day, so lots of people to show you round

Wow – lots of choice.
    Is there a differing criteria for the days ?
    I need to join the right clique..

andylaightscat
    Free Member

no cliques, different groups with different rides leaving from different places. Let me know when you get here and I’ll point you in the right direction

makkag
    Free Member

Berko’s a lovely lovely town with good riding in ashridge / aston hill and chilterns , good cafe restaurants etc. I live in chipperfield which is a little village tucked away up lanes with village cricket team common etc but only 3 miles from mainline and totally rideable all the way near enough to watford town centre off-road. Worth taking a look at kings langley , sarratt and here if you like villagey. For a guide I know of a two bed maisonette which has just been done up going for 1000 Pcm . Good road riding and links to m25 m1 as well . Shout if you need anything

Jerome
    Free Member

Thanks a lot guys. Getting excited about a change.
    Definitely this area – just need to see what’s available – I need to move last weekend of July.
    £1k /month would be nice – paying more than that currently.
    Somewhere inc bike storage also – as will have at least two bikes with me..
    Beers on me when I get there..

andylaightscat
    Free Member

no connection but try http://www.homeabroad.co.uk for property. If you look more than a mile from town centre rents are a bit less.

alisonsmiles
    Free Member

Born and bred in Bushey (don’t move there). I always envied those who lived in Chesham, Amersham or Aldenham for their leafy greenness and country feel.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cycling friendly places to live near Watford Junction’ is closed to new replies.