Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cycling Down the West Coast of France: Advice + Stopover Recommendations?
  • Jamz
    Free Member

I’m planning to catch the Portsmouth/St Malo ferry next month to cycle down the west coast of France to the La Rochelle area over the course of 3 days and I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good places to stop over. The ferry arrives in St Malo at about 8am so I would be looking for somewhere about 80 miles south for that night and then somewhere else about another 80 miles south of that. Im after somewhere typically French, good classic cuisine, not too expensive and with charm.

Also, has anyone ridden the Atlantic cycle route or can you recommend a rough route to follow? I’m in no particular rush to get there and would like to soak up as much of France proper as possible.

And finally I’ve never ridden abroad before, or done any sort of bike tour like this before so if anyone has any good advice or tips to share they would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

IdleJon

Don’t try to drink the ferry dry, sleep on the floor and get chucked off at St Malo at 5.30am with no water or food. 😉

Other than that I can’t help very much, we were just touring Brittany.. (I’m sure we were supposed to disembark at about 8 but it was definitely before 6 that we were wandering around St Malo with humongous hangovers.)

Ooh, another tip – nothing is ever open in France! Shops and cafes seem to have an arcane system of opening based around entirely random times. You will ride through villages that seem entirely deserted. If you happen to see something you may need, buy it. The shop WILL be closed when you actually run out.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

We’ve stayed really close to the Atlantic coast route for the last couple of years in the Vendee and Charente Maritime. From what I saw it seems really well signposted. Mostly quiet roads and graded/tarmac off road.

Nothing to add on accommodation, sorry. We’re taking the same ferry, also next month 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve spent a lot of time sailing around the Brittany Coast and down to La Rochelle, holidayed a bit in the Vendee too. There are some very nice areas like Gulf du Morbihan, beaches at la Baule (and salt marshes in the park), Normoutier (island with a bridge). How you’d link these up I am struggling and not sure you’d want the diversions. First stop inland South of Rennes looks sensible, you could follow the river up to Dinan and/or explore St Malo a bit first. Parts of the coast are not the most sophisticated but it should be an interesting experience. You should check whether you can ride a bike over the big bridge at St-Mazaire over the Loire too or whether you’ll have to go further towards Nantes.

ransos
    Free Member

I’m planning to catch the Portsmouth/St Malo ferry next month to cycle down the west coast of France to the La Rochelle area over the course of 3 days and I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good places to stop over. The ferry arrives in St Malo at about 8am so I would be looking for somewhere about 80 miles south for that night and then somewhere else about another 80 miles south of that. Im after somewhere typically French, good classic cuisine, not too expensive and with charm.

I’ve just got back from Ile de Re, having taken the St Malo overnight ferry. I can’t offer any advice on stopovers, but the cycling round the island and the Vendee around Lucon was very enjoyable – deserted roads, good cycle paths, lovely beaches and plenty of nice places for lunch. Enjoy!

ahwiles
    Free Member

IdleJon – Member

Ooh, another tip – nothing is ever open in France! Shops and cafes seem to have an arcane system of opening based around entirely random times. You will ride through villages that seem entirely deserted. If you happen to see something you may need, buy it. The shop WILL be closed when you actually run out.

this is true.

French shops open promptly at 10:30am, when they immediately close for Lunch.

Lunch lasts until around 3pm. when a few shops might open (most don’t) for 1 hour, before closing again.

Just in time for the 5day* bank holiday weekend.

(*which last 7 days, because, y’know, Sundays and that)

PePPeR

Don’t forget that if French shops open on Saturday, they don’t open Mondays,

Intermarche are pretty good and are even open Sunday mornings.

Were getting the Portsmouth Caen ferry next month and cycling sown to our house in the Vendee.

Cant wait

mikey3
    Free Member

I just did the velodyssee but I went from roscoff so I,m guessing that doesn’t cross your route until nantes,just play it by ear,no doubt you will pass through lots of towns with choice of resturants etc (sorry this is of no use at all :D)

uwe-r
    Free Member

Everything is closed is very true.

There is some nice spots around Carnac / La Trinity sur mer on the coast south of Laurient. I can recomend that as a possible location for the end of day 1 although might be a bit of a long haul?

here

ransos
    Free Member

Everything is closed is very true.

There are various hypotheses on why the French are slim and healthy, despite living on a diet of red wine and cheese. Based on my recent visit, I surmise that it’s due to the low probability of finding a food vender that’s actually open.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cycling Down the West Coast of France: Advice + Stopover Recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.