• This topic has 28 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by FOG.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Cycling clubs and mountain bikers.
  • beefy

Ok, so I am kind of trying to get involved with a local cycling club, just from the point of having a common point of contact for rides. Thing is, I have only had limited club experience and it was all race race race, which I am not into at all.

I am not sure things will be any different in this club (Holmfirth cycling club (http://www.holmfirthcc.com/) , just started a few weeks ago, but got loads of members, mainly roadies), but want to give it a go, but there does seem to be an emphasis of having regular rides at exactly the same place, which could be a bit dull.

Has anyone had any success in doing MTB stuff within existing clubs, but without a race focus or with a bit of variety thrown in?

I just want to meet more people to ride with and help share local knowledge about trails.

Will it work, or will club politics get in the way?

kilo

We do some degreee of mtb’ing in our road club, there’s mtb racing and occasional off road club runs but as we have c500 memebers we tend to arrange things off line otherwise you could end up with 30 people turning up for a run which is not realy on. ( we reguarly get 80+ turning up for road club runs on a sunday morning)
    never really had any club politics, in fact the club subsidsed mtb skills training a few years ago. Most of us who mtb have moved from road to mtb. Good luck with it.

oldgit
    Free Member

Our club has finally dropped it’s road only policy. It’s a new club with nearly all new riders and they didn’t realise the practicality of mountain biking over winter.
    We’ve just started a Saturday off road session, so as not to interfere with the classic Sunday ‘Club Run’
    We have a small group riding Thursday nights as well.

The anti MTB brigade were in the most road riders with about a years total riding under their belts. Most have stopped riding, leaving the club more well rounded. So we will continue with MTB’ing.

mrmo
    Free Member

my club does have an mtb section. Most rides are from a fixed starting point but because of Cheltenham’s location you can do a variety of rides.

There are days away and weekend trips.

Big issue recently is the falling numbers of mtb riders generally, lots of new road riders over the last year or two, but the number of mtbers has fallen which makes it harder to get a critical mass to do things.

To give an idea saturday road rides recently have had 40+ turn up and 4 mtbers, couple of years ago you might get 20 on each!

rOcKeTdOg

Nothing suitable near me so I started my own

shedbrewed
    Free Member

My club does a Friday evening MTB ride, advertised on the website and been going for a few years.

beefy

Yeah, I guess most mountain bikers don’t come from a club background. Do we need a club when we have such a great meeting point as here?

mrphil
    Free Member

I ride with a road club, sometimes if they are going to the Pondarosa I tag along then split off road.

When I first joined them a few were quiet and quite snobberish at the thought of a MTB joining the rides. After a few rides they realised we all ride bikes and it doesn’t matter what size/width the wheels are.

I have organised a couple of rides with the MTB people in the group, also met some great riders. Just tring to get the women involved in the MTB now.

We were on a 70+ MTB ride while the roadies took the easy way.

Said group…. http://palefishbikes.blogspot.co.uk/

Marin
    Free Member

You are a beast on a bike though Phil. Tootling out from West Kirby prom on Sunday 10 30 start if you’ve nowt else on.

mrphil
    Free Member

lol Thanks Greg, cheers for the invite but I am off to Dyfi Winter Warm Up on Sunday.

Off to Coed Y Brenin next Sat if you want to join us, a ride has been organised with Twitter. #MTBmeetup Si Bradley is organising it. Also got the Llandegla Enduro that night aswell.

fisherboy
    Free Member

My club down here definately does not do mountain bikes. 120+ years old and they only talk about road riding and tt. When I joined I was told they don’t do mountain bikes and if I want to do that I need to join the lbs rides. Shame really as I would love to occasionally stand around in the evening club room chatting about mountain bikes with like minded riders. Some how cluttering up the lbs on a saturday morning with others does not feel quite right.

scruzer
    Free Member

Beefy if ya around the Doncaster area we cater for road and mtb 50/50. look us up http://www.cyclesupremewordpress.com or facebook us. guests are welcome. We do ride local and regular sunday rides away infact mtbers are off to dalby on sunday as the sunday ride. we do nights rides Wednesday eves. lots to have a go at. Cycle Supreme Cycling Club BC Affiliated.

Marin
    Free Member

No worries Phil. Off on a climbing trip to Norway in a week or would have joined you. Once back will be more out and about I’ll sort something out then. Have fun.

mrphil
    Free Member

Ok bud, will message you on CM. Got a few group rides planned, 9th Feb at Gisburn aswell.

TiRed

Just about to start up a “First Sunday in the Month” mountain bike ride at Swinley Forest for Twickenham Cycle Club as part of our Go Ride contribution. Will offer coaching for beginners and families and all will be welcome. We have a strong Cx contingent so might see some cross-over.

number18
    Free Member

I’m not too far from Holmfirth. I’m always looking for new trails near me in the following areas if anyone fancies sharing some knowledge or is part of a group nearby:

Kirkburton
    Shelley
    Skelmanthorpe
    Shepley
    New Mill
    Farnley Tyas

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

As Jacquie Phelan once said “Until mountain biking came along, the bike scene was ruled by a small elite cadre of people who seemed allergic to enthusiasm.”

brack
    Free Member

Based in West Sussex?

South Saxon CC is the club for you

crush83
    Free Member

My local cycling club is a mtb club! http://www.mbswindon.co.uk/ and we have our own urban trail. The infamas croft trail (the one behind nationwide as some know it) http://www.mbswindon.co.uk/croft-trail/croft-trail-maps/

benji
    Free Member

Arrow Cycles in North Hykeham, we have folks racing road, mtb and cross, and regular rides on mtb and road, equally split. I’m usually one of the racers, but have been out on their mtb rides and a had a great time at the peak district and a trail centre. Everyone welcome.

beefy

Number18, there is a bunch of us round here riding every thursday eve, drop me a line on radresser at g mail dot com.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

The lack of interest in mountainbiking is one of many reasons I left Holme Valley Wheelers, I went to the Holmfirth CC open event last Saturday and they seem much more relaxed about MTB. It’s helped by one of the leading light’s daughter being a top junior Cross and MTB riders. I’m going to join HCC and am happy to get involved in setting up an off road section.

rideforlife2
    Free Member

HI, I’m a member of a mountain biking club that rides in and around the swinley forest area called Berks On Bikes and it has the usual time and place for rides. This doesn’t get boring thought because we have different routes and area on our doorstep. Also a few people race but it doesn’t stop the enjoyment of the club. We also do trips to other places during the year so there is quite a bit of variety.

number18
    Free Member

beefy – Member
    Number18, there is a bunch of us round here riding every thursday eve, drop me a line on radresser at g mail dot com.

Cheers, email sent.

colournoise

Tiny bit of cosmic bike balance. Our club doesn’t do road at all.

PTR
    Free Member

Perhaps to be controversial, but I’m involved with a cycling club, I’ve come to the conclusion that my mountain biking, big days out in the Lakes and Dales has probably got more in common with the ramblers/outdoor activity types, than CYCLISTS.

sam3000

I will join Holmfirth CC if there is a decent mtb ride going. I’ve joined other local cycling clubs and been looked down upon for being a mtber!

Ben_mw

I went to the Holmfirth CC open event last week, and as I wasn’t able to get out with them the following day, decided that I would make the effort yesterday. So despite the snow that was falling in Hade Edge I set off to meet them. After standing around for 10 or 15 minutes with a couple of other new lads wondering where everyone was, a bloke turned up and asked if we had seen the tweet saying that all rides were cancelled! Decided just to ride home and try again soon!
    Beefy, I’d be interested to know when you meet on a Thursday, and where etc It’d be nice to have another riding option close to home.
    I used to ride with the Star Wheelers (MTB section), but like lots of others, got bored with the same rides over and over again.

FOG

Some of my mates are in various clubs. One is a very old traditional CC but has night MTB rides! Not too technical but at least they support other interests than TT and road race. Another club friends are in are quite new but just cater for repetitive social rides,at a furious pace, to cater for older racers who don’t race anymore but still want to beat somebody.
    As for the local tri club, it makes Westminster seem a polite and friendly place. There are always cliques and break away groups organising a putsch in the committee. You van do without it

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Cycling clubs and mountain bikers.’ is closed to new replies.