• This topic has 62 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Cycling caps. Wear one
  • biglee1

Just bought myself a Castelli one and I`m wearing it under my helmet while riding 😀

mooman
    Free Member

Why a castelli one?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Love mine.

Bollocks to castelli though they should be cheap and barely stitched together.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    houndlegs
    Free Member

I bought a big one, and wear it over the top of my helmet when riding 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

Jolly good.

zilog6128

I too have a Castelli one, chosen as it was cheap on CRC & the scorpion looked rad.

lunge

I like them, I have a fair selection, my favourite being the retro ones from Prendas. I even, shock horror, ride wearing them on their own with my helmet too. Treat yourselves.

butcher

I like a cap under the helmet. Been going without these past few weeks as it’s a bit warm, but mostly I wear it year round.

qwerty
    Free Member

edhornby

I like em too – when it rains they keep the spray off. layer of thermal protection. good for early mornings/late evenings with low sun to stop the blinding. night rides to stop your helmet getting horrid sweaty cold. stops the sweat run in summer.
    you can even wear one and put a buff over it to create a belgian style ears and peak in the winter

bulk from prendas (I got 10 astana ones for a tenner a while back !)

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I wear one to keep the sweat out. Got a Castelli thin summer one for those host days.

crikey
    Free Member

Last count I had 24. The earliest dates from before you pesky kids were born.

rOcKeTdOg

Wear with trail helmet for awesome double peak effect

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve tried it but unbelievably the peak makes me have to raise my head a little more and I get a stiff neck.

redthunder
    Free Member

I confess… I have started using a bandana.

and

I quite like them and now have at least 6 or so all collectecd in a month or two.

Arrrrr. Use them for biking and field archery to keep the bits out of my hair.

Carry one in my bag if I get caught out in the sun.

Ps loads vids on youtube if you dont know how to fold.

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve started wearing a cap over the last year, really nice in colder weather.
    I’ve got a couple (Planet X + a Rapha one) can’t really tell much difference once it is on.

andywoodall
    Free Member

This feels like I’ve entered a parallel universe. I don’t get it.

However, to those who want to wear one, good for you!

legend
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    Wear with trail helmet for awesome double peak effect

Steady on! That’s next years ENDURO look – it’s not ready for the public yet!

DezB
    Free Member

Cycling caps. Wear one

No. How can I put this politely..? They look stupid.

jamiep
    Free Member

What is the benefit of them? Serious question, loads in our club wear them but I’m slightly embarrassed to question their choice face to face.

Never had a problem with sweat in eyes or blinding sun. The peak blocked my vision, resulting in neck soreness, and the helmet didn’t fit as well

ads678

DezB +1

Check out the guy on the cotic solaris, might look better if it fits.

Aggregate 100: Drop Bars Or Flat Bars?

I don’t get them.

DezB
    Free Member

Check out the guy on the cotic solaris

Thank you for proving my point 🙂

iainc

nope. Always wear a buff under helmet as stops sweat and keeps my head warm in winter. Tried a cap a few times, felt less comfy and more bulky than a buff for no noticeable benefit IMO.

Gary_M
    Free Member

What is the benefit of them? Serious question, loads in our club wear them but I’m slightly embarrassed to question their choice face to face

I wear one in winter for a bit of extra warmth, usually peak up but if it’s raining then peak down as it keeps the rain out my eyes and hides the bad weather a bit, they’re also good if a car is coming towards you with full beam on, dip your head and the peak blocks the lights.

Wouldn’t wear one in summer though, but then again I have hair so no sweat running into my eyes issues 🙂

aether531
    Free Member

Yep. They are really practical (mainly for road I suppose) but I’m a bit of a hat fiend in general so any excuse for a new hat is a bonus for me. Plus cycling caps are cheap, so I’ve got a bit of a collection.

Strangely, I find it quieter (mainly road riding) when I’m wearing one under a helmet? Probably make me more aero, and therefore much faster…

Shred
    Free Member

I only use them in the rain. I really dislike them, even in mid winter as I do not like having a hot head. I can’t even use ear warmers unless it is below freezing and I am out for a few hours, and even then I usually end up taking them off once I’m warmed up.

IHN

On a bike; fine.

Off the bike; bellend.

IMO, obviously

jamiep
    Free Member

I have a starchy skull cap (Castelli, as it happens) for winter warmth. What does a cap have over that? I find the stretchiness doesn’t interfere with my helmet fit whereas a cap does

scotroutes

It’s one of those things I mocked before trying. Now I quite like the sweat absorption and the flexibility of having a peak that folds out of the way.

I have previously used a buffet in summer so I do tend to prefer something between hair and helmet.

FOG

If you are turned 70, if you are on a skinny tubed ancient steel road bike, if you yourself are grey and whippety then, fine. Everybody else – no, no, no.

iainc

I have previously used a buffet in summer

… is that a finger buffet, or a full setting ? 🙂 Can’t be very aero mind !

CraigW
    Free Member

I like them, for on the road bike (without a helmet). Great for keeping the rain off my glasses.

My favourite are Walz Caps – they have a larger size, that actually fits my big head. A cotton cap for most of the year, or a thinner moisture wicking material for hot days.

jimmy

Had one from a bike shop in Bend which looked pretty nasty but was a suitably cheap polyester material to be useful in many different temperatures. And it was a good memento from a great holiday

Left it on a ferry while touring. 🙁

willard

Nope. If it is cold, then I wear a Gore thin skull cap thingy with ear protector bits. If it’s anything other than cold, then it’s au naturelle under that helmet to aid cooling.

Off the bike if I am stopped, I don’t bother either. I like the cooling.

scotroutes

Feckit!

jonba
    Free Member

I find synthetic ones good for keeping my head warm in winter. Also useful riding in the rain or snow when glasses just become a blurry mess (maybe I need Oakleys?).

I wear mine on the turbo as a sweat band as well.

Never understood people wearing them in warmer weather, my head would cook. I noticed Bertie wearing one with the top cut off to create a peaked headband. I assume this keeps out the sun/rain but doesn’t keep you warm.

Also never understood why they are always cotton – we don’t wear cotton clothes elsewhere when cycling.

D0NK

the flexibility of having a peak that folds out of the way.

that’s about the only plus I can see, as a mainly mtber I missed my peak when I got myself a peakless helmet for road/cx (I missed it in the rain or low sun, lack of neck strain the rest of the time is the obvious flipside).
    Shirley everyone already owns a buff which’ll do the wick/warm thing.

But hey it’s a roadie tradition thing, so “just because” is a good enough reason

scotroutes

.that’s about the only plus I can see, as a mainly mtber I missed my peak when I got myself a peakless helmet for road/cx (I missed it in the rain or low sun, lack of neck strain the rest of the time is the obvious flipside).
    Shirley everyone already owns a buff which’ll do the wick/warm thing.[/quote]yep – that’s what I used previously.

Gary_M
    Free Member

What does a cap have over that

See my post, the only similarities between a cal and skull cap are that they both keep your head warm. A skull cap can’t shield your face from rain, block car headlights, can’t block your view of the horrible weather and/or long straight into a block headwind.

fasthaggis

It’s one of those things I mocked before trying. Now,during the colder months,I quite like the sweat absorption keeping my head warm and the flexibility of having a peak that folds out of the way .

I would never,ever wear one without a helmet and especially the way that some of the old retro boys leave them pushed up at the back.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Cycling caps. Wear one’ is closed to new replies.