Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Cycling Books
  • four
    Free Member

I’m off on holiday week after next and would like to top the Kindle up; Can anyone recommend some decent books on cycling?

I’ve read a few round the Lance Armstrong ‘thing’ and also one about a couple of guys who started off in their underpants at Lands End and ended up at John o Groats by bike. Not looking for something too techie or uber serious.

Preferably something that is quite a broad read – so a mix of training, riding, experiences etc, preferably with an easy reading style.

Thanks.

ferrals
    Free Member

I enjoyed Dog in a hat, I also liked Ned Boultings how I won the yellow jumper

SaxonRider

I’ll be watching this thread with interest, as I, too, need to load up the kindle. So keep the suggestions coming!

duncancallum

Dividing the Great:

kindle version

really enjoyed it

also Mark Beaumonts stuff is quite good too:

alexpalacefan

French Revolutions by Tim Moore is perfect.
    A very funny book about Le Tour that also manages to be about France in general.

APF

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

One Man and His Bike by Mike Carter is brilliant stuff about a guy who cycled round Britain on a whim.

The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton is in my opinion the best of the books about Armstrong.

Mark Beaumont’s one about cycling round the world is good.

Graeme Obree’s autobiography is absolutely compelling, honest stuff.

mattyfez

There’s quite a decent more mountain bike focused one available for free download as PDF..the name escapes me though, but for free it’s probably worth a punt.

butcher

Geraint Thomas’ book is a good light-hearted look at the world of pro cycling, and cycling in general.

Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Dissorder, written by an STWer, is actually a really good read and a good look into the world of amateur/hobbyist cycling. Very light-hearted. Cheap too!

Mid-Life Cyclists is also similar.

And agree about the Mike Carter book. That was a good read.

four
    Free Member

Thanks so far guys.

I’ve read the Hamilton book and enjoyed it. Also read some of the Beaumont book and found it dull so didn’t finish it.

Down loaded some of the other suggestions on the thread.

eddie11
    Free Member

all roadie stuff I’m sorry:

+1 for graeme obree
    tim krabbe the rider
    laurent Fignon’s autobiography is great. didn’t know much about him before i read it but really good prose and you get the sense he did not give a shit and a life lived.
    Michael Barry’s book is good. again knew little about him but he’s a good writer and its as much about the weird life of a road rider than it is about him.
    death of marco pantani by Matt Rendell
    David millars first is good (avoid his second). He doesn’t seem to have especially liked wiggins.
    rod ellingworths book on winning the rainbow jersey with Cav is good. Doesn’t seem to have especially liked wiggins. 😆

All Merckx biographies are all dull. he was just too good. theres no story arc.
    Bjarne Riis’s book is pretty dull.

MoreCashThanDash

Ned Boultings books are great. French Revolution is good. Everyone tells me Geraint Thomas’s book is great, and Tyler Hamilton’s

I really liked Geoff Thomas’s “Riding Through the Storm”. Pro footballer, battles cancer, rides TdF route.

mrblobby
    Free Member

William Fotheringham’s book about Hinault is good. As is Fignion’s book.

Richard Moore’s Etape is good too. Each chapter is a stage of some Tour with a lot of interesting back story.

For some training and science type reading, Faster by Michael Hutchinson is good. The Science of the Tour is ok for a light holiday read too.

project
    Free Member

Mark cavendishes 2 books and chris Boardmans book, the 2 sky books are also good, as is bradley wiggins book, cant be bothered going into the study and wtriting the names down and then retyping them back here.and dont forget Ned Boultings 2 books.

edhornby

Wide eyed and Legless is a cracker. The Hour by Michael Hutchinson. Obree’s biog is great. Lenond vs Hinault very very good

Oddly I didn’t enjoy French Revolutions because I didn’t think much of Tim Moore (the postcard story, the poor planning, the cutting out masses of the route and then shoving his wife into the role of broomwagon, no thanks)

Davesport

The Hungry Cyclist. Two year odyssey through the Americas eating whatever the locals were eating. On kindle 😀

stavromuller
    Free Member

I enjoyed “My Time” by Wiggins and ” Along the Med on a bike called Reggie” by Andrew Sykes. They couldn’t be more different in style and content.

ctk
    Free Member

1 more kilometre and we’re in the showers by Tim Hilton is my fave cycling book and I’ve read most of the above. 50% cycling 50% autobiography. Lots of stuff about cycling history in GB. Time trials, touring etc. I cant make it sound good but it really is!

Enjoyed Fignon’s aswell.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Hamilton’s book is good.
    David Millar’s “racing through the dark” is good
    I thought Fignon’s book was a bit boring, or maybe written in such a way that it didn’t hold my attention. Didn’t finish it.
    Think I once tried to read one of Wiggo’s books; didn’t get far
    The Program by David Walsh is pretty good.
    I’ve got a book about Fausto Coppi, aint read it yet but I reckon it’ll be good considering what he did.

Harry_the_Spider

I’m reading The Cyclist Who Went Out In The Cold by Tim Moore. So far it has been good.

greentricky
    Free Member

+1 Obree
    +1 Geraint Thomas
    Also enjoyed Sean Conway Cycling the Earth last year

twistedpencil

Paul Kimmage – Rough Ride
    Bad Blood – Jeremy Whittle
    Put Me Back On the Bike – Will Fotheringham
    Fallen Angel -WF again
    +1 for the Death of Marco Pantani and The Hour.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Richard Moore-Slaying The Badger
    Jeff Connor-Wide Eyed and Legless
    Jean Bobet-Tomorrow We Ride
    John-Paul Vespini-The Tour is Won on the Alpe
    Nicole Cooke-Breakaway
    Graham Healey-The Shattered Peloton
    Bernard Magnouloux-Travels With Rosinte

welshfarmer

It’s all about the bike – Rob Penn

A good read, with a nice film made based on the book. Plus Rob is a good all round guy who just happens to be a mate 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

This thread reminds me to go back to this, got about half way and stopped for some reason, good book though. well first half of it!

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Racing through the dark, David Millar is a cracker.

midlifecrashes

Okay, hope this isn’t too spammy. Had a clearout during the week and have this box of books ready for the charity shop. Anybody wants them, let me know. You make a donation to 29erKeith’s mate (stickied on the top of the bike forum) and I’ll stand the postage.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Just today got an awesome belated xmas prezzie from broski and SIL – ‘The Bicycle Book’ (DK) – more of a visual history of bikes but loads of great pics and info. Really looking fwd to reading it. Hahaha the first two random pages I flicked to both had a bike that I’ve owned at some point. Something wrong with scenario this I’m sure…

anyway, tiz a lovely thing for browsing.

tillydog
    Free Member

Gironimo! is very entertaining.

I also liked Chris Froome’s book.

nickc

I found Wiggin’s book dull TBH. and while I read Tim Moore’s TDF I wouldn’t read another.

Hamilton’s was one of the best expose on the Armstrong era.

doordonot
    Free Member

Also currently reading The Cyclist who went out in the cold. It’s a cycling adventure that in typical Tim Moore fashion is accessible to anyone but completely bonkers in how he goes about doing it – which in turn adds comedy to it. The line about showering a furious bison …

Geraint Thomas’ book was a good read: covers his training, racing and insightful/comedic stuff but also has some top tips that are quite motivational. Occasionally comments are aimed at the reader sufficiently to make one think: hmmm, maybe I should mtfu and go out in the rain.

pondo

The Hour and Faster by Michael Hutchinson are both fantastic, brilliantly written, insightful and very funny. I also really enjoy how Richard Moore writes, so Slaying The Badger, Heroes Villains And Velodromes, and the one he wrote about Team Sky are also great.

globalti
    Free Member

The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton – the best little book I’ve ever read on road cycling because it explains the lore and traditions and the subtlety and finesse of road racing. It also has a tragic twist in the tail, which I won’t spoil by telling you. In the end a very poignant book, especially for a chap in his thirties or forties.

How I Won the Yellow Jumper by Ned Boulting is enjoyable and funny too.

lunge

Pretty much any of Ned Boultings books are good.
    I really like Michael Hutchinson, Faster too, geeky but not too geeky. I think I’ve read it 3 times. The Hour isn’t bad either.
    Geraint Thomas’s is OK, fairly light but not worse for that.
    Domestique by Charles Wegelius is nicely written and offers some alternative perspectives on things. Less wins, more dirty work.
    Don’t get Sean Yates’s book though, very average IMO.

Wookster

Domestique by Charles Wegelius Is brilliant.

gobuchul
    Free Member

It’s all about the bike – Rob Penn

+1. Not very long and easy to read but if you like a bit of classic bike bling you will love it.

aide

Commenting so i can find the post again when I finish my current book, cheers for the lists people

bodgy
    Free Member

I really enjoyed ’Cyclogeography’.

More of an essay than an epic, but well worth the time to read and deliberate.

mefty
    Free Member

Alan Peiper’s book, A Peiper’s Tale, is another good insight into the life of a domestique – haven’t read Wegelius’s yet but that was very well reviewed.

epicyclo

Didn’t Stoner write something? I think I have it on my Kindle.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Cycling Books’ is closed to new replies.