Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Cycling book recomendation – Mark Beaumont?
  • dan2406

Any books similar to this read. Round the World book excellent in my eyes as it has everything I love – biking and traveling! Anyone have any recommendations for travel logs based on the same as this?

brooess
    Free Member

Dave Barter

Not quite what you’re asking for but a great read on the reality of being a middle-aged UK bloke cyclist.

He does have a chapter on LEJOG which might count as a travelogue!

winston
    Free Member

Cycling Home from Siberia by Rob Lilwall (ISBN: 9780340979860)

Really enjoyed it – slightly different approach from the normal ego driven style

somafunk

Moods Of Future Joys by Alastair Humphreys and his follow up book Thunder & Sunshine are worth a read.

Every Inch Of The Way by Tom Bruce is good and he has a very honest unaffected way of writing

North To South by James Brooman is his account of a genuine adventure by bike, this book will make you want to tell your work to **** right off, you’re going for a bike ride and you may not be back.

Crossing Europe On A Bike Called Reggie by Andrew Sykes is an adventure we could all do, follow it up by reading Along The Med On A Bike Called Reggie by Andrew Sykes

The Longest Road by Ben Cunningham is his account of a bike trip with friends on the pan american highway from alaska down to ushuia at the bottom.

That should keep you going for a while,

EDIT : Infact i have a spare copy of Alastair Humphreys Moods of Future Joys (his 1st book) as i went along to see him speak at the Royal Geographical society so i have a spare copy i could send you? – if you’re interested then send me your postal address (email in profile) and i’ll get in the post for you – pass it on to another forum member after your finished with it. Not wanting anything for it btw.

CraigW
    Free Member

I like Josie Dew’s books.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

+1 for Humphrey and Dew.

This isn’t a book, but an online journal of a ride across the US, Jeff Armin is a great writer and photographer.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/america

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Some great recommendations above and some I’ll need to add to my reading list. Slightly different but one I always recommend is Jupiter’s Travels by Ted Simon, round the world book by motorcycle but a great snapshot of the world as it was then.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I loved cycle home from Siberia really relaxed but very funny interesting

g5604
    Free Member

The two Alastair Humphreys books
    Miles from nowhere
    Life cycles

All very different takes on going around the world on a bike.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Just finished the Tom Bruce book – very uplifting.
    Now 2/3rds of the way through No Place Like Home:Thank God, a 22’000 mile bicycle ride around Europe. Very different style but very funny & entertaining.
    * I had a kindle day yesterday 🙂

dan2406

Great. Thanks that should keep me going for a whilst.

Soma – Very kind of you. Will email you.

atlaz
    Free Member

I quite liked the Tim Moore book French Revolutions and Gironimo where he rides the course of the 2000 Tour de France and 1913 Giro respectively (the latter on a period bike).

alexpalacefan

+1 for Moore and Humphrey’s books, all four are excellent.

APF

mick_r

Josie Dew’s first book (Wind in My Wheels) is the best – years of journeys condensed into one book makes it a very good read. Subsequent books are fine but feel a bit dragged out in comparison (generally one journey per book for the rest).

Running not biking – “Just a Little Run Around the World” by Rosie Swale-Pope. Makes biking round look quick and easy…..

johnny_met
    Free Member

Dividing the Great is a good read.

joat

Mike Carter – one man and his bike, is a nice read of a domestic round the coast ride.

superfli
    Free Member

This is a good read
    you’ve gone too far this time sir
    Not quite around the world, but to India.

rewski
    Free Member

Jill homer’s are good

dan2406

Ok may not be the fastest reader but have now finished the book that Somafunk gave me – Moods Of Future Joys by Alastair Humphreys. Excellent adventure book maybe not as good as the Round the World MB one but others may disagree.
    Anyway as promised anyone who wants this book then will post of to you. Keeps the ST library going

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I like Two Wheels on my Wagon by Paul Howard

Tim Moores book I also very very entertaining.

gribble
    Free Member

Second above recommendation for Two Wheels on my Wagon. Have seen it sold under another title too, which I currently can not recall. Short but easy reading.

Humphries books and Siberia both also excellent. Makes you want to take a break from the daily grind.

beej

I was just coming on to recommend Jill Homer to see it was done a month ago. I’m currently halfway through Arctic Glass, a compilation of her longer blog posts. She’s a writer/journalist who got into endurance riding and running so the quality of the writing is excellent and I find her pretty inspirational in what she’s achieved.

Susie
    Free Member

Take a seat – Dominic Gill

+1 for Mike Carter and +1 for Tim Moore.

zippykona

Not cycling but walking. Still the same vibe though. A fantastic book.

dan2406

Have been brought for Xmas ‘One man and his bike’ by Mike Carter. Really good and quite funny book that is making me really want to see more of our island. Maybe even on a bike one day when the kids are older. Would highly recommend.

takisawa2

My kindle list.
    Didn’t know I’d read that many.
    Have a pile of paperbacks also.

takisawa2

My kindle list.
    Didn’t know I’d read that many.
    Have a pile of paperbacks also.

ransos
    Free Member

I quite liked the Tim Moore book French Revolutions and Gironimo where he rides the course of the 2000 Tour de France and 1913 Giro respectively (the latter on a period bike).

I thought they were both laugh-out-loud funny. An excellent light read.

iainc

got a signed copy of Geraint Thomas’ one for Christmas from the kids – looking forward to starting it shortly !

They got him to write ‘Mr Bump’ on it – do I really crash that much ? 🙂

flange
    Free Member

Having read both Rob Lilwall and Beaumonts books, I found Cycling Home from Siberia much more entertaining. Mainly because Lilwall didn’t have a clue what he was doing (see camping in Siberia in a pair of ‘post office’ trousers) yet remained positive and upbeat about the whole thing. Beaumont on the other hand came across as a right miserable sod. Maybe thats what racing round the world does to you…

pete68
    Free Member

Emily Chappell has just released a book Caledonian “what goes around”. Not seen it but follow her blogs and she writes really well, so I’d imagine it’ll be a good read.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Yeah, Emily Chappell’s new book will certainly be worth a read: she’s a great all round human.

Also, Just Ride by Grant Peterson. Lovely little book about keeping things simple.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Cycling book recomendation – Mark Beaumont?’ is closed to new replies.