Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cycling between Brighton and Newhaven
  • singletracksurfer

on the A259. Is it leathal or is there a track to the side that cyclists can use?

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Sustrans Route 2 runs along the coast there. It is marked as "Traffic Free" on the sustrans maps with a diversion onto back roads through Telscombe.
    I have never done it mind so cannot comment on for the quality of the route.

Napalm
    Free Member

It's not lethal and there is a cycle lane part of the way (e.g. cliff side of the A259 between the Marina and Rottingdean).

My preferred quick route would be clifftop to Rottingdean, road to Telscombe then Telscombe to Newhaven on the clifftop path. This avoids the undercliff.
    But staying on the A259 all the way is a reasonable call too.

TheSlider
    Free Member

Used the undercliff going the other way the day after it snowed the FIRST time and it was great, nice and cruchy and vigin snow – well until just by the Marina where a patch of ice had me sliding 10 yards on my back ! No damage done due to all the layers I had on but it was early and very dark – probably not the cleverest thing I've ever done, so tell someone which way you are going at least…

thomthumb
    Free Member

have done it before. it's certanly not a nice road but is cyclable – it is a fast and busy road though make no mistake.

better option would be bridleways/ sdw surely?

just avoid the a27. one of my worst rides ever was along the a27 fading daylight, no bike lights, not enough clothes, not enough food, strong headwind. trying to keep pace on a mtb with my mate on his roadie. makes me want to cry just thinking about it!

singletracksurfer

aha Sustrans map on their website – perfect thanks.
    Oh yeah that looks ok then.

What are the under & over cliff paths?

Thanks.

VanHalen

undercliff path is under the cliffs. teslcombe to brighton marina

over teh top i'm guessing is on top 😉

do you have a specific time limit? if not ride off road. it'll be nicer.

the a259 is a shit road.

grahamb
    Free Member

+1 to what Napalm said.

Nobody's ever said anything to me when i've cycled on the cliff top footpath from Telscombe to Newhaven. It seems like a lot of cyclists do it.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

There is a route that goes up the back of Newhaven from the marina – Gibbon Road maybe? – that goes through the mobile home site (not the posh one, the other one) then you can get on the main road – wouldn't bother with the 'official' route that takes the back roads or Peacehaven or the undercliff bit between Newhaven and Telscombe as it's never cleaned and is full of flints, got a few punctures there in the past, then you can get on the shared path that goes from Telscombe near the 2 elephants thai restaurant (think that's what it's called?) but then I drop down onto the undercliff at saltdean and that will take you all the way into Brighton or sometimes if the weather's rough you can come back up onto the shared path just after Rottingdean and that will also take you all the way into Brighton, the bit between Saltdean and Rottingdean kind of crosses from one side of the road to the other on the 'official' route and can be a bit dicey or you can share the bus lane with buses and taxis but there's not much room along that bit.

singletracksurfer

ah thanks, yes wondered if you'd meant the footpath on top.
    prob in a rush, but will hope to do the off road is possible.

many thanks.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Yeah, the footpath along the road from Telscombe to Rottingdean, then the other side of Rottingdean to Brighton is a shared foot and cycle route, they have signs up.

bananaworld
    Free Member

I lived in Peacehaven for a time and regularly commuted to Brighton and did my shopping in Newhaven. I've nothing to add to all the helpful advice above other than a warning:

If on my mountain bike I'd come home on the clifftop path from Brighton. One time I was pootling along in the dark and my lights illuminated a bloke having a cr@p by the side of the path. He pulled his trousers up sharpish (with unknown results…), I offered a hasty "Sorry mate!" and sped on.

The road or the cliffbottom path might be safer…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cycling between Brighton and Newhaven’ is closed to new replies.