Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cycling Ben Nevis?! (as part of a 3 peaks cycling challenge)
  • jekkyl

I like to do a cycling run for charity once a year and I am considering a 3 peaks challenge for 2014. Will likely swap Scafell Pike for Helvellyn and I’ve cycled Snowdon before but no idea about Ben Nevis. I’m at work with no access to youtube but I will have a look later.

Has anyone cycled it and is it any good? a killer?

Also, with the thread about the boris bike was wondering about a STW collective charity ride/group. We have a great community here and there’s many who’ve mentioned doing charity rides so we could muster to raise a great deal of cash. Would there be any interest in this? though not necessarily with the 3 peaks thing I’ve mentioned above though.
    🙂

cultsdave
    Free Member

I have not done it and never will. It would be a very boring push up to the summit, then the down would be pretty much like riding down steps in a busy shopping centre with big drainage channels to get in your way.
    Basically it would be rubbish

Spin
    Free Member

The best route is from the North Face car park to the CIC hut then round to the lochan and tourist route to the top.

You then return by the same route.

It’s mostly rideable up to the hut then pretty much all carry to the summit. On the descent the bit from the lochan to the hut has some unrideable bits but apart from that it is all good.

The major problem is the volume of walkers.

The normal route from Glen Nevis to the lochan is definitely not recommended up or down.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Spin
    Free Member

Also, with the thread about the boris bike was wondering about a STW collective charity ride/group. We have a great community here and there’s many who’ve mentioned doing charity rides so we could muster to raise a great deal of cash. Would there be any interest in this?

There is already a huge amount of traffic and environmental pressure on the Ben from large charity walking groups. Adding bikes in would be deeply, deeply unpopular and environmentally unsound.

Ride it by all means but do it in a small group and at a quiet time if possible. For your own enjoyment as well as the reasons above.

jekkyl

Ok mate. I’ll probably re-consider my ideas then, cheers for taking the time to post.

Sanny
    Free Member

Spin for the win 😀

He and I did that route and it was really rather nice. I suspect that there won’t be many folk doing it on bikes when you do it. It’s just too hard for most folk. The number of walkers is astonishing.

For an alternative and a lot more fun, how about Ben Lawers or Ben MacDui? Both are excellent. To ride up and down, Carn a Chlamain is really rather good.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cycling Ben Nevis?! (as part of a 3 peaks cycling challenge)’ is closed to new replies.