Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Cycling at work – what is your employers helmet wearing policy? Cycling H&S Pol
  • gixer.john
    Free Member

Have a friend who employs a few people and a couple of them cycle as part of their job – visiting clients etc.
    One wears a helmet and the other doesn’t saying that helmets obstruct vision and there is no data showing helmets prevent injuries in the event of an accident etc.

I would be intetested in seeing other employers cycling H&S Policies

gixer.john
    Free Member

If anyone has any links, or could forward them to me at

crossan.john@sky.com

thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

are you a

??????

Used to work somewhere where it was policy to wear helmet on site. As enforced by men with guns 🙂

aP
    Free Member

Why don’t you just let those people get on with their lives in the ways that they choose and not get involved?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why don’t you just let those people get on with their lives in the ways that they choose and not get involved?

As an employer you are responsible for your employees while they are at work. If they have an accident then you are responsible. If they disregard an instruction then it is their fault. Part of the world we live in.

bigdean

Well if its part of the job the employer should provide all personal protective equipment. Also if it company policy and written down in the H&S policy it should be followed regardless of scientific evidence. If an employee breaching the policy (as the employer is responsible for their health and saftey even if there off site and working for them) then disapline process should be started.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sounds like both have done their own risk assessment and reached a reasonable conclusion. There is no convincing body of evidence to prove either of them right or wrong. Record it as such and It’s job done.

gixer.john
    Free Member

Some people are a wee bit touchy – an employer and employee have duties under various acts of law such as HASWA 1974. I am just looking for some examples of what people have experienced at work, not leisure.
    What is the “norm” now when someone has an accident at work – how can i make a claim, where was the company risk assessment, what was the company policy for using that piece of equipment at work. 🙄

Crikey, chill it’s a nice sunny Monday morning!!

simon1975

On a similar theme my employer has a policy on using mobile phones in cars even though there are rules set out for that in law. And smoking, of course. I haven’t seen a similar policy about seatbelt use though; I suppose it’s assumed that people wear them these days?

Helmets are provided with the office bicycles, but I’m not aware of any directive to wear them. No-one’s ever made a fuss.

mrmo
    Free Member

posties

I don’t know enough of the background but this suggests the Royal mail enforce helmets

julianwilson
    Free Member

Interesting question and thread, not a troll (IMHO of course).

As above, my employer prohibits even hands-free phone conversations whilst driving on work business/time, although this is above and beyond what the law requires. Perhaps they were satisfied with neither the government nor the employees’ risk assessments on that issue.

jota180
    Free Member

On a similar theme my employer has a policy on using mobile phones in cars even though there are rules set out for that in law.

We do to, but ours go further than the law, in that we cannot make or take any calls whilst driving, hands-free or not.

If I were an employer, I’d enforce helmet wearing for anyone cycling in my employ
    Not because I particularly think they’re a good idea [which I do] but because not doing it could lead to too many complications, and it’s far simpler to do it. It’s hardly inconveniencing the cyclists so I wouldn’t think twice about it.

Sandwich

A no win no fee lawyer will use the lack of helmet use enforcement by the employer as a green light.
    Any claim by the employee will be under civil law and will be decided on a balance of probabilities.
    The employers liability insurer will roll over on it because it costs more to defend than settle.

A prudent employer will put helmet use into the H&S policy and enforce their use (failure to enforce use correctly will also give an in for the canny lawyer).

Don’t forget that the employer will have to provide suitable PPE if it is required for the job.

Sum
    Free Member

I would be intetested in seeing other employers cycling H&S Policies

My employer provides helmets and insists on people using them for cycling on the company premises. Off-site the company’s insurance doesn’t cover employees travelling by bike on company business.

qwerty
    Free Member

If I were an employer I’d insist helmets were worn and that all staff had received cycle training to National Standards Level 3 as a minimum, before they could cycle for me.

jedi

adrenaline alley skatepark has stopped its must wear a helmet policy because their insurers say the are liable if they tell people to wear one!!!!!!!! mental

simon1975

Yeah if they tell you that you must wear one and then fail to enforce the rule then someone will go after them for a claim. But if they let people make they’re own mind up then they’re making their own choice and taking their own risks…

There must be some Messengers on here for comment? Or are you all effectively self-employed?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Off-site the company’s insurance doesn’t cover employees travelling by bike on company business.

Their insurance wont but their duty of care will.

samuri
    Free Member

We provide bikes for employees to ride around the main site and between this and another nearby site. Employees are encouraged to wear helmets while they do so but no more than that.

Edit: And the company does provide helmets too.

GrahamS

Bumped my head as I got into the car today on the way to work.
    My employer hasn’t provided a helmet so I intend to sue.

And I’ve got a really nasty hangnail because they don’t provide suitable armoured gloves for typing…

gonefishin
    Free Member

Bumped my head as I got into the car today on the way to work.

Travelling to work is not the same as travelling for work.

As usual for H&S stuff it all comes down to what is reasonable. Is it reasonable for the company to demand that helmets are used when cycling on company time? Given their relatively small cost I’d say yes it probably is, although I’ve not seen any being worn on oil refineries/gas plants.

…other doesn’t saying that helmets obstruct vision…

Tell him he’s got it on backwards!

bazookajoe
    Free Member

From our Council’s policy:

“While cycling is beneficial for both the environment and personal health, the Council considers the safety of its employees to be of prime importance. For this reason all employees while cycling in terms of this policy are strongly advised to consider their personal safety. The safety conditions specified in the Council’s Bicycle Mileage Allowance Scheme are mandatory for all employees who are authorised to use their bicycle on Council business and who wish to claim the allowance.”

Bicycle Mileage Allowance Scheme states:

“SAFETY

The Council considers the safety of its employees to be of prime importance. For this reason it is a mandatory condition of the Scheme that all employees, while cycling in terms of this Scheme, must:-

(a) observe the Highway Code;

(b) provide and use front and back lights during hours of darkness or poor visibility, and a back reflector, all of which conform to recognised safety standards;

(c) ensure that their bicycle and associated equipment are in a safe and roadworthy condition; and

(d) provide and wear high visibility clothing – a fluorescent and/or reflective bib or cross-belt as a minimum.

All employees who use their bicycle on Council business are strongly advised to wear a cycling helmet which conforms to recognised safety standards.”

EDIT: Just seen there’s also a pool bike scheme now with accompanying text that states “The Council offers helmets and safety vests and advises that you wear these when riding at all times, however ultimately it is your choice as to whether or not you use this equipment.”

To OP, I can email you the full policy if you want?

GrahamS

Travelling to work is not the same as travelling for work.

Ah, so if I bump my head again later, say getting in the car to go to see a client, can I sue then? How hard do I have to bump it for it to count?

😉

bazookajoe’s policy sounds amazingly reasonable for a local council!

gonefishin
    Free Member

so if I bump my head again later, say getting in the car to go to see a client, can I sue then?

I’d expect it is reasonable for people someone to duck when getting in an out of a car without having to be explicity told especially if they had hit their head earlier that day, otherwise it would mark them out to be a “special” empolyee. 😉

cookeaa

We have a couple of friends who are social workers and get about on Bikes (Both now work as contractors through an agency, rather than direct for the council, but thats another story)…

Both wear helmets based on ‘personal risk assessment’ I believe, with no compulsion from their employer (agency or council)…

I don’t believe either of them claim milage (which they could) but they do effectively bill travel time, so they are on the clock when they are on the bike between 9-5 (or whatever hours they work…

Interesting point actually, if an employee uses a bike in the course of their job should the employer at least assess the need for any additional training?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Helmets are provided with the office bicycles

Seriosuly? No one else pick up on this?

cookeaa

TINAS – This is one of those highbrow, serious threads… Honest.

Hence nobody picked up on:

pool bike scheme

Either…

Sandwich

Some people get excellent fringe benefits at work. (PPE machine selling 3 packs in the loo perhaps).

gottapickapenny
    Free Member

John

Network Rail went round in ever decreasing circles trying to figure out a solution for staff using boris bikes between meetings / offices. I would say i was roped into weeks worth of talking shop meetings over the subject.

Strongly advised but at your own discretion was the end result.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

samuri – Member
    We provide bikes for employees to ride around the main site and between this and another nearby site. Employees are encouraged to wear helmets while they do so but no more than that.

Edit: And the company does provide helmets too

it’s a shame the bikes themselves are in poor condition and not maintained. The baskets for carrying stuff aren’t securly fixed to the bikes and try and jump off the bike on every speed bump

but it’s not a problem, I can walk to facilities from the other side of the site to get a helmet, when I’m there I might as well and walk to the meeting

that’t not mentioning the strategic placemnet of the bike stands as far away from the entrance of the building as possible

gixer.john
    Free Member

Bazooka, can you forward the policy please? the employees use their own bikes and claim a milleage allowance. Bgrahams – not really interested in your inability to access a car safely 😯

Sum
    Free Member

Off-site the company’s insurance doesn’t cover employees travelling by bike on company business.

[quote] Their insurance wont but their duty of care will. [/quote]
    Not really. Other means of transport is provided and cycling isn’t permitted.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Gixer.john – I’m back in the office on Thursday so will email it then – to the email in your profile? I’ll also send the mileage claim form and sign up sheet.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you are an employer and people cycle during the course of the work then you are right to consider, risk assess and set policy. following the council policy as above seems reasonable

Evidence about helmet wearing and accident and injury rates is rubbish – even the best is easy to pick full of holes

If you are interested in the arguements ether side email me.

CTCV position is a good start point as well.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=4688

gixer.john
    Free Member

Bazooka – that would be good, just send it ot the e-mail in profile

ta

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Shouldn’t helmets be provided and enforced for any emplyees that have to walk as part of their job? They might trip over and crack their head open. It happens.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Cycling at work – what is your employers helmet wearing policy? Cycling H&S Pol’ is closed to new replies.