Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • cycling and London
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Don’t find out for another month but may be moving to Londonium for a couple of years. Possibly the south but nothing confirmed. Currently spoilt by space and nearby countryside but clearly be in a small flat if we do move. So I started to think about which bike to take* from: ss mtb, ss cx (can put gears on) or road bike?

Mtb seems bit pointless so between the other 2 really. Initially cx made sense as so much more versatile and could blast about trails as well roads. Recently started thinking about taking the road bike though. Anyway thoughts and opinions welcomed.

I’ll be taking a spare wheel and turbo trainer with me too.

*Haven’t considered not taking one…

root
    Free Member

Great opportunity to get a BMX 😀

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

cx, then at least if you fancy mud you can !

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TiRed

Depends where you live. Twickenham has a thriving road club and is 40min by train to Swinley Forest. So don’t write off the MTB. SS MTB and a road bike would be my choice.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

there’s a yahoo group for riders coming down from London to the Surrey Hills, etc. London_Calling, or something.

dknwhy

SS cx
    I Iive in south London and the roads are so potholed it’ll make more sense than a road bike. Most off road riding locally is xc unless you want to commute out to the surrey hills.

fontmoss
    Free Member

I think cx prob makes most sense but the prospect of heading out for a long road ride after a shitty week is quite appealing too.

SS MTB and a road bike would be my choice.

I’ll be taking the mick by having one bike never mind a couple!

geetee1972
    Free Member

You do know we have a little area called the Surrey Hills about 15 miles out of London that has riding as good as you’ll find anywhere in England right? OK so the ups and the downs are not as prolonged, but the bits between the top and bottom are hugely entertaining and as technical as you like. In some ways it’s more technical than you’d find in the Lakes or the Peak district.

brooess
    Free Member

Lucky you 🙂 weather’s better down here and economy is in a better shape than anywhere else. Plus it’s a great city anyway.
    I have 4 bikes summer road, winter road, commuter and MTB and they all get plenty of use. There’s plenty of great riding in Surrey Hills, Swinley, Chilterns and various other pockets.
    If it were me I’d try and bring MTB and the road bike cos there’s plenty to do with both.
    If you end up SE London then Dulwich Paragon are a really sociable road club

geetee1972
    Free Member

Brooess are you down here also? We met a few years back on one of the STW meets.

fontmoss
    Free Member

15 miles out of London that has riding as good as you’ll find anywhere in England right?

Um thanks, so the decision is more difficult now 🙁

I’d love to bring 2 bikes but just not going to happen sadly

brooess
    Free Member

Brooess are you down here also? We met a few years back on one of the STW meets.

In that weird and wonderful STW way I think we’ve met twice!
    Surrey Hills (I think njee20 organised it) and Peaks Pootle just over 2 years ago… I temporarily relocated to Cheshire until I remembered how often it rained and came back down South 🙂

whippersnapper
    Free Member

be creative with space, you can fit more bikes in than you’d imagine 🙂

fontmoss
    Free Member

gf works from home so I am pushing it already…

soundninjauk

I’ve got my commuter bike and my mtb, and I love taking in Swinley forest when I can. The Surrey Hills is also on my list of places to check out. All we need now is another STW ride there…

eyerideit
    Free Member

Use your wall space, if they’re nice enough you can call them art

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘cycling and London’ is closed to new replies.